Weight loss/fitness gurus chime in

Nononononotorious

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i was always the fat kid in elementary and middle school, then finally decided to do something about it freshman year of high school.

I lost around 100 pounds in 7 months and went from 245 to 150, mostly through lots of exercise (football, boxing and weight lifting) and eating chicken salads and some fasting.

After high school, I got comfortable with a relationship and work and lost my dedication to the lifestyle, and gained all of it back and then some.

Couldn't take it anymore and got back into the lifestyle early this year, and this time the weight is staying off for good.

At my heaviest early 2017 I was around 260. As of this morning I am 205 dry.

I am on the keto diet, and have consistently eaten around 1500 calories per day (i weigh everything i eat with a digital scale) with no cheating in order to lose the weight I've lost to this point.

My birthday and vacation is in september, and I'd love nothing more to be shredded for the beach.

I'd like to get down to around 160-165, and after calculations, I'd need to lose around 2 pounds per week until my birthday, which would equate to a caloric deficit of a little more than 1000 calories per day.

For my size, my basal metabolic rate doing nothing is 2000 calories per day. I have been consistently cutting 500 calories per day, plus road biking/hitting the bag 3 to 4 times a week for an extra 300-500 calories per day deficit when I train in addition to the -500 from the diet alone.

My question is - i have heard that your body will eventually get used to your calorie intake, and slowly but surely my 1500 calorie daily intake will become my basal metabolic rate, and I will need to decrease the calories by 200 calories to counteract that and continue to lose weight until my body gets used to that.

Meaning if I immediately cut another 500 for a total of a dietary deficit of 1000, then my body's basal metabolic rate will become 1000 and then I will have to stoop to super low caloric daily intakes of less than 1000 and eventually 500 (basically starving) and I will be screwing myself by doing this in hopes of a quick loss.

1500 calories is just enough food to where I don't feel hungry, but eating less than 1000 would be tough, I can't even imagine 500 per day.

So is the slow cutting of calories to continually trick my body's response to the reduction of calories the way to go and lose the weight a little slower? Or is that all BS and your body maintains a steady basal metabolic rate and I can safely cut the necessary 1000 calories per day to get shredded by September and not screw up my hormones and gains thus far.

Any advice is much appreciated in advance.

Last edited:
So i was always the fat kid in elementary and middle school, then finally decided to do something about it freshman year of high school.

I lost around 100 pounds in 7 months and went from 245 to 150, mostly through lots of exercise (football, boxing and weight lifting) and eating chicken salads and some fasting.

After high school, I got comfortable with a relationship and work and lost my dedication to the lifestyle, and gained all of it back and then some.

Couldn't take it anymore and got back into the lifestyle early this year, and this time the weight is staying off for good.

At my heaviest early 2017 I was around 260. As of this morning I am 205 dry.

I am on the keto diet, and have consistently eaten around 1500 calories per day with no cheating in order to lose the weight I've lost to this point.

My birthday and vacation is in september, and I'd love nothing more to be shredded for the beach.

I'd like to get down to around 160-165, and after calculations, I'd need to lose around 2 pounds per week until my birthday, which would equate to a caloric deficit of a little more than 1000 calories per day.

For my size, my basal metabolic rate doing nothing is 2000 calories per day. I have been consistently cutting 500 calories per day, plus road biking/hitting the bag 3 to 4 times a week for an extra 300-500 calories per day deficit when I train in addition to the -500 from the diet alone.

My question is - i have heard that your body will eventually get used to your calorie intake, and slowly but surely my 1500 calorie daily intake will become my basal metabolic rate, and I will need to decrease the calories by 200 calories to counteract that and continue to lose weight until my body gets used to that.

Meaning if I immediately cut another 500 for a total of a dietary deficit of 1000, then my body's basal metabolic rate will become 1000 and then I will have to stoop to super low caloric daily intakes of less than 1000 and eventually 500 (basically starving) and I will be screwing myself by doing this in hopes of a quick loss.

1500 calories is just enough food to where I don't feel hungry, but eating less than 1000 would be tough, I can't even imagine 500 per day.

So is the slow cutting of calories to continually trick my body's response to the reduction of calories the way to go and lose the weight a little slower? Or is that all BS and your body maintains a steady basal metabolic rate and I can safely cut the necessary 1000 calories per day to get shredded by September and not screw up my hormones and gains thus far.

Any advice is much appreciated in advance.

I can help you on this, but this thread's gotta move to the Diet subforum first.

How are you calculating your calorie requirements and measuring your intake? At first glance that doesn't seem like a necessary or sustainable deficit.

HIIT and IF.

35n6j28.gif

7436298294e46f762e24b68b38e451e1.gif

How are you calculating your calorie requirements and measuring your intake? At first glance that doesn't seem like a necessary or sustainable deficit.

I have a digital scale and I weigh all of the food I eat to the gram.

Well that sucks. I was all in for light-hearted weight loss program..:(

Of course, I can design a regimen like that in a snap.

Just eat air and drink water in a 6 hour period and fast for the rest of the day.

Just wanted to say I used to be a fat ass kid. I was known as the fat asian kid in school. I'm pretty fit as an adult. Now that I don't have to worry about cutting weight anymore I'm on my way to becoming a jacked beast. A beastlet.

1500 is pretty damned low for a man. You really don't want to go lower for that just to meet an arbitrary date target. 1000 is very low and very hard to get adequate nutrition from - it would actually be more appropriate at the start of the dieting process, for a very obese person, not at the end.

In terms of your body getting used to a calorie intake - yes your BMR does get affected but it's not like it just drops to meet any calorie drop you care to subject it too. It would be surprising if it dropped to 1500 a day for a young, active person and it would recover eventually. However, in terms of keeping it off long-term, doing it slowly appears to be the key. Once you hit your target weight you have to stick at it for months and your body will eventually adjust to it with your BMR recovering. However the harder and faster your diet, the harder you hit your metabolism.

It doesn't sound very easy to keep losing it at 2lb a week as you approach your ideal weight. Normally you start off a that sort of loss when you're fairly overweight (more if you're really overweight, as I'm sure you know). So I think the target is unrealistic and probably not sensible. I'd carry on what you're doing and forget that date.

I think you're going to have a big enough challenge keeping the weight off as it is without making it even harder. Maybe look into reverse dieting and carb refeeds. This area is not well understood so there is a lot of anecdotal bro-science that might be right but the science hasn't caught up yet. Read this for an overview: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-7 - but it's not telling you anything you don't already know - don't diet too hard, do weights, eat protein, cycle things a bit.

BTW - massive props for your awesome progress so far. Pretty amazing.

1500 is pretty damned low for a man. You really don't want to go lower for that just to meet an arbitrary date target. 1000 is very low and very hard to get adequate nutrition from - it would actually be more appropriate at the start of the dieting process, for a very obese person, not at the end.

In terms of your body getting used to a calorie intake - yes your BMR does get affected but it's not like it just drops to meet any calorie drop you care to subject it too. It would be surprising if it dropped to 1500 a day for a young, active person and it would recover eventually. However, in terms of keeping it off long-term, doing it slowly appears to be the key. Once you hit your target weight you have to stick at it for months and your body will eventually adjust to it with your BMR recovering. However the harder and faster your diet, the harder you hit your metabolism.

It doesn't sound very easy to keep losing it at 2lb a week as you approach your ideal weight. Normally you start off a that sort of loss when you're fairly overweight (more if you're really overweight, as I'm sure you know). So I think the target is unrealistic and probably not sensible. I'd carry on what you're doing and forget that date.

I think you're going to have a big enough challenge keeping the weight off as it is without making it even harder. Maybe look into reverse dieting and carb refeeds. This area is not well understood so there is a lot of anecdotal bro-science that might be right but the science hasn't caught up yet. Read this for an overview: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-7 - but it's not telling you anything you don't already know - don't diet too hard, do weights, eat protein, cycle things a bit.

BTW - massive props for your awesome progress so far. Pretty amazing.

Thanks man, i appreciate it. Been trying to make lifelong changes in lifestyle and discipline. I am not putting this weight back on.

I'll definitely check out that link, thanks.

Never heard of reverse dieting.

I usually try to get around 10 or less carbs per day from spinach, collards, peppers, and almonds/Brazil nuts so that I don't over do the ketosis thing.

Seems to be working thus far though.

Thanks man, i appreciate it. Been trying to make lifelong changes in lifestyle and discipline. I am not putting this weight back on.

I'll definitely check out that link, thanks.

Never heard of reverse dieting.

I usually try to get around 10 or less carbs per day from spinach, collards, peppers, and almonds/Brazil nuts so that I don't over do the ketosis thing.

Seems to be working thus far though.

Bump it up to 30 grams a day. And fiber doesn't count as a carb, so you can subtract that from your macros. Also, consume a lot of electrolytes - sodium, magnesium, potassium - if you want to avoid cramps. Also, make sure you ingest a lot of fat and keep the protein consumption to a moderate amount. Too much protein can cause an anti-ketosis reaction.

I always kicked up my workouts, added an extra 30 minutes, extra mile. I'd also have a junk food day once a couple of weeks to completely kick up my metabolic rate.

Bump it up to 30 grams a day. And fiber doesn't count as a carb, so you can subtract that from your macros. Also, consume a lot of electrolytes - sodium, magnesium, potassium - if you want to avoid cramps. Also, make sure you ingest a lot of fat and keep the protein consumption to a moderate amount. Too much protein can cause an anti-ketosis reaction.

Yea I like the spinach and nuts because of the fiber content. Used to love peas but they are carby as shit.

Why do you say 30 a day?

I was amazed when I learned that an excess amount of protein can turn into glucose.

Our bodies just have to hang onto every little morsel (bangs head against wall)

I only drink water now because other drinks just have too many calories and I'd rather have real food for those calories. Plus water is just the best for you.

Where do you like to get your electrolytes and potassium from? Mine would be fish and avocado but I dont know anywhere to get electrolytes from besides Gatorade lol

Last edited:
How tall are you?

If you are over 6 feet why would you want to be only 165? If you are under 6f you are a manlet and i cant help you.

Back