Weirdest/most embarassing injury?

Bret Griffin

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
So I managed to either fracture or seriously bruise my sacrum and/or tailbone due to a poorly executed knee in the butt guard break, which basically means I feel like I broke my ass.

What kind of odd injuries have you guys racked up?

Badly bruised testicle from when my partner grabbed the waist of my gi pants to push off my hips and it got caught on the wrong side of the center seam. I could barely walk or sit for a week.

My worst ones (the ones that have resulted in several weeks' worth of training) are invariably the weird ones. I don't know if that's the norm or not.

1) While a guy was passing my guard, my shoulder subluxed
2) While in bottom side control, my rib was injured
3) While on the knees, I got pushed backwards over my ankle and it snapped

pulled both my glutes, couldnt straighten up my back, had to walk like a 90 year old

Holy molly that's some horrible injuries !

My two most Funny/embrassing injuries :
1 I tore a nerve (or a ligament, not entirely sure which one now) in one of my fingers. My hand got stuck in a triangle The tip of the finger basically bent backward at a 90

I broke my hand real bad wrestling and like, went into shock which was super embarrassing. My face went numb and I was shaking uncontrollably in front of everyone in the gym. I ended up permanently damaging the soft tissue and ended up with arthritis... I still don't have full use of it

Got kneed in the pelvis once. Had erections that went sideways for about a month.

I was in a tournament as a bluebelt. I caught my opponent in an armbar but my member got wedged into the fulcrum. I toughed it out and kept cranking for the tap.

After the division I went to take a leak. My bell end was completely black and purple. Put a hamper on my single life for a month

Badly bruised testicle from when my partner grabbed the waist of my gi pants to push off my hips and it got caught on the wrong side of the center seam. I could barely walk or sit for a week.

This is why I wear a cup. It's like insurance.

Strangest "injury" I had was when a guy went to do a far side armbar on me. When he went to push my head down his palm went over my ear and pushed air into my ear drum. Hurt like crazy. But I wouldn't really consider it an injury. More like a strange pain that hurt for a week or two.

Crotch fungus. LoL.
Spray your feet. Wash well. And DRY really good.

Not Bjj but in Karate I was sparring with one of the other assistant instructors who was a middle aged man and I was in my teens. He threw a spinning back kick and nearly ruptured my testicle. It was |Foot||Nut||Leg|. The match was stopped, I made it back to my mark, waited for the call to begin and than collapsed....good times

twisted testsical.

I was about 6 months in and finally was starting to feel a little comfortable with what I was doing. I was rolling with a guy who started out about the same time as me, but we were even, skill wise, at the time. so i figured i was going to roll hard and try to get a sub.

i saw the opportunity when he was in my guard and i remember repeating the steps to an armbar from guard in my head. after i successfully armbared him -- mentally -- my body went into action.

but my testical stayed in place -- or something.

as i lifted my hips and got my leg over his head, my testical felt like it did a 180.

i got up from the mat and RAN into the bathroom cupping my balls and examining them like a detective in a high profile crime scene.

afterward my training partner asked me what happened and so I told him. He laughed.

4 years later and sometimes i get hesitant when going for arm bar from guard.

Got kneed in my taint/hole as someone took me down (trip from back control) and the pain was so shocking my entire lower body spasmed and I cramped up. Had to get dragged off the mat. Think I was dehydrated which contributed.

In my second ammy Muay Thai fight I was dominating this guy to the point that in between rounds my coach was joking with me saying that I have to finish him with a body kick. I went out for the last round (third) and threw one body kick, I hit him in the elbow and shattered my foot and dropped like a sack I potatoes...my coach still laughs about it

I was rolling as a newish white belt and while in a smaller blue belt's guard I got flipped head over heels and when I landed my toes went the wrong way. Ouch. Not sure if they were broken or not but not much I could do. Black and blue for weeks but I just taped them up and kept rolling.

MY coaches said I was an example of a classic white belt injury haha. Nice.

I have a really tight upper back. I got a triangle on someone and he pressed in to stack me. i tried to switch to a belly down armbar but got stuck like halfway. So while I have him 3/4 extended on the arm, I have to tap because it feels like my upper spine is about to blow outward. He was so condused to the tap it took him two seconds to respond. Had to sit out a week with about 50% mobility in my neck the following day

Any sort of wrist injury bad enough to require tape or an Ace bandage, especially when you work with all women. I never hear the end of it.

"Got a little too excited to work with the new girl, huh?"

locked opponent in gogoplata.

he rolled on top of me and broke my femur.

BJJ days over.

Grappling wise....Nothing embarrassing but tore my LCL doing an uchi mata to a 210lb judoka who resisted and tried to take me backward as i was entering the throw. My leg twisted and hyperextended and snap city. The weird part is it should have been my MCL that tore given how it occurred (i'd have to show in person), but it was my LCL. Ironically, had my best competitive season on it.

MMA wise....got punched , the guy stopped and apologized for punching what he thought was my cack until i told him he hit my pancreas, he keeled over laughing and for the next month that was my nickname.

Back