Welcome to the calf kick era.

Voodoo Dahl

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Move over oblique kicks, sayonara showtime kicks, adios Superman punches, rip foot stomps.

The new hot mma striking technique meta is here.

Calf kicks are daddy.

Attachments

• perez.jpg
    perez.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 21
They’ve been a thing for a while but now that fights are being finished with them I expect them to be used more. They’re a very effective tool and they can just ruin your opponent if you keep landing them. Bendo used them but now we’re seeing some real brutality.

iu

Legitimately you could blast my thighs all day long with Thai kicks, making them look like I spilled grape jelly times.... But the times I've mischecked a kick and caught it on my calf, I couldn't walk for a week.

Leg kicks in general hurt a lot more than the average person likely thinks they do lol. Kind of crazy how many leg kicks and body kicks fighters can take.

Fuckin' THIS.

I'll never forget my first Muay Thai class, when I took a leg kick from my buddy, while wearing a pad. It hurt. And my buddy sucks. I suddenly thought, "How in the holy hell do fighters take these kicks and not even react?!"

I still don't really get it.

Fighters need to get better at checking that shit. But I hear it's really difficult.

If you're a long legged mf'er like Sean O'Malley and you get good at using that kick, man you got such an advantage.

I have no calves like Jon Jones and Usman. Wonder if that hurts more because of less meat or more because its closer to bone?

Back