Went out shooting yesterday...

igordog

Black Belt
Reaction score
I bought a 12 gauge shotgun a few months ago and I've been patiently waiting for the chance to try it out and get comfortable holding and firing it. It's not the world's best gun by a longshot, but it will get the job done if need be in a sticky situation.
It's a New England Firearms Pardner Pump, which is a clone of a Remington 870.
pardnerpump.jpg

Anyhow, my brother's friend told us of a place that we could go shooting out in the boondocks where nobody would bother us and we went yesterday. I brought my shotty, my brother brought his AR-10
ar.jpg

and his friend let us take his AK-47
ak.jpg

I haven't shot a gun since I was a kid, so I had a great time. We just brought a bunch of water jugs, some coffee cans, a few pieces of wood, a thick polycarbon target that he had, and a bowling ball...
Needless to say, my shotgun has quite a kick to it and my shoulder's a little black and blue today...I'm pretty sure I'll be shooting it from the hip from now on.
And I'm definitely getting an AK-47 as my next gun.

hehe awesome

I always wanted to go to a shooting range in the states and just unload 100 bucks worth of bullets into whatever they'll allow me to shoot at.

lol. its unfair you guys get to own machine guns over there.

i want machine guns :(

instead of shooting from the hip you can try to actually holding the gun properly :p

go buy yourself a clay pidgeon shooter, most fun you can have with guns

instead of shooting from the hip you can try to actually holding the gun properly :p

go buy yourself a clay pidgeon shooter, most fun you can have with guns
Have you ever actually shot a 12 guage? I'm assuming not because you're going to be sore whether you hold it properly or not. TS, what you need is a recoil pad to put on the stock of your shotgun. That's the only way you can shoot it for an extended period of time without pain.

Knoxx makes a recoil reducing stock for the 870. Since it's similar it may fit yours. It helps a bit, not as much as the ads say, but it is noticeable.

Knoxx makes a recoil reducing stock for the 870. Since it's similar it may fit yours. It helps a bit, not as much as the ads say, but it is noticeable.

That's good to know...As far as I can tell, I was holding the gun properly, but I probably shot it about 50 times in about 2 hours.
It didn't hurt right away, but toward the end I started feeling it a little. I imagine just about anyone who's new to firing that kind of gun would be at least a little sore afterward.

Well first of all, were you using 3 1/2 inch magnum buckshots? For practice, you should start with 2 3/4 inch birdshot and work your way up. Even then you should have a recoil pad. Any sporting goods store should have one size fits all recoil pads for shotguns.

Also, we get to own machine guns, but to the tune of $10,000 - $100,000 for each. Congress has become more and more gun unfriendly and is trying to weed out gun owners.

Well first of all, were you using 3 1/2 inch magnum buckshots? For practice, you should start with 2 3/4 inch birdshot and work your way up. Even then you should have a recoil pad. Any sporting goods store should have one size fits all recoil pads for shotguns.

Also, we get to own machine guns, but to the tune of $10,000 - $100,000 for each. Congress has become more and more gun unfriendly and is trying to weed out gun owners.

I was using mostly 2 3/4", size 8 birdshot with a few .00 bucksot in thrown in there too. I'm definitely going to look into the recoil pad.

That's good to know...As far as I can tell, I was holding the gun properly, but I probably shot it about 50 times in about 2 hours.
It didn't hurt right away, but toward the end I started feeling it a little. I imagine just about anyone who's new to firing that kind of gun would be at least a little sore afterward.

Here's a link to it on Midway. You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Knoxx CompStock 2-Piece Recoil Reducing Traditional Stock Remington 870 12 Gauge Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA

Have you ever actually shot a 12 guage? I'm assuming not because you're going to be sore whether you hold it properly or not. TS, what you need is a recoil pad to put on the stock of your shotgun. That's the only way you can shoot it for an extended period of time without pain.

for sure i have fired a 12 gauge, grew up with a old hardass no recoil pad SbS, kicked like a mule.

i guess I should keep my mouth shut now thou as I own a semi-auto now:redface:

yeah sorry if I was rude:D.

a proper stance also alleviates some of your pains, bent knees, lean forward, cheek pressed to the side head slightly forward

me and my brother does 100 shells each when we go out, as I wrote earlier I use a semi-auto so much less recoil but my brother uses a standard 12g OU, he is not troubled by it

for sure i have fired a 12 gauge, grew up with a old hardass no recoil pad SbS, kicked like a mule.

i guess I should keep my mouth shut now thou as I own a semi-auto now:redface:

yeah sorry if I was rude:D.

a proper stance also alleviates some of your pains, bent knees, lean forward, cheek pressed to the side head slightly forward

me and my brother does 100 shells each when we go out, as I wrote earlier I use a semi-auto so much less recoil but my brother uses a standard 12g OU, he is not troubled by it

You weren't rude...Just giving your opinion. I wasn't really sure how to stand, and I did feel a bit uncomfortable with my stance...Another thing that I thought about when I got home was that maybe I was a little tense, and I was probably holding the gun a little tight...I think I'll probably be loosened up next time I go and it will feel more natural to me.

Back