Werdum vs Gustafsson predictions

I expect it to kind of resemble the Werdum/Vokov fight. Picking Gus on this one.

I think Werdum is failing fast and his mma is becoming limited back to his base if he can get the fight there, I'm favoring Alex better movement, better hands, and Werdum isn't black.

Easy win for Gus. The speed difference will be huge. Gus also outclasses Werdum on the feet. I'm waiting for an early TKO - round 1 or at the latest round 2.

Yeah, we've seen a lot of 6' guys just put on tons of fat and then not do well, no shit. Gus is 6'5" and has a big frame even for HW. He will put on good size and do very well.

I really would like to see that but I really doubt it. He may pass over Werdum but I think he gets raped by the top 3 guys in the division.

I really would like to see that but I really doubt it. He may pass over Werdum but I think he gets raped by the top 3 guys in the division.
I have to agree, but not because of his body. He can get a HW frame. He had trouble with explosive athletes in 205, and at HW, he's going to run into the same problems that other Alex with a similar frame and name, Alexei Oleinik, has. If you have trouble with 205 lb pressure fighters and explosive athletes, HW pressure fighters and explosive athletes that can beat you are going to kill you.

What do you guys think about this upcoming HW fight? Gus could do well without the weight cut, I'm sure he will feel a lot stronger and one would think he will have a pretty good speed advantage in this division over most fighters.

As for the fight itself, I believe it's one of the most interesting matchups in the card. Prime Werdum IMO soundly beats the Gus of recent fights, but looking at their current forms.... leaning towards the swede. He is still sharp.

Werdum looked very sloppy on the feet against Oleynik. It was, however, good to see he could outgrapple him without many issues. If the fight doesn't hit the ground, this might be it for Fabricio with consecutive Ls.
this is a tough call, but gus might actually be able to ko him. thats my pick

After watching basically all available footage of training and interviews, I feel slightly more positive to the fight not turning into a way past their prime shitshow.

Turnout? Gus dominates on the feet. Feels sharp and motivated. After he dominates on the feet, either destruction in line with the finish of texiera or he pulls a fedor and get tapped. I give it a 75/25% (tko/fedor).

After watching basically all available footage of training and interviews, I feel slightly more positive to the fight not turning into a way past their prime shitshow.

Turnout? Gus dominates on the feet. Feels sharp and motivated. After he dominates on the feet, either destruction in line with the finish of texiera or he pulls a fedor and get tapped. I give it a 75/25% (tko/fedor).

I agree. I’m also getting retirement vibes from Werdum. Doesn’t seem as focused or committed as before.

Werdum gonna get boxed up real good by that Swede Gustafsson, was not impressed with what I saw from his last outing.

I wanna be fair cuz I missed the fight, so I don't know how each fighter performed. But at the same time..

well.jpg

Now serving crow, who's taking the first bite?

I enjoy eating this crow lol. I wanted Werdum to win, just didn’t think he was still motivated.

proved a lot of people wrong: came in a much better shape and did work.

You should bet on him then, Werdum is currently around +250 underdog.

Against Gus at his best? No, he wouldn't. Werdum has always been the best possible match up for Gus at HW. Way too slow striking and plodding footwork, not good enough wrestling/takedowns, and lacks KO power. He could catch Gus in the clinch with a knee, but that's not enough to make him the favorite, prime or not.

If Gus hasn't mentally checked out, and is not coming back just for the payday, he should beat Werdum relatively easy.
Thanks for the advice, made a couple hundred tonight. Cheers

The speed difference between them would have looked ridiculous prime vs prime, and it might look even worse now for Werdum. Werdum's best chance is to hope that Gus has completely lost his heart for fighting and willingness to engage, like it looked in his last fight. There is a reason Gus wanted this match up, he knows this is the safest debut for him at HW, and I believe he has always felt that way if he was ever going to fight at HW.

I know prime Werdum had a lot of success with his striking, but I just don't think his style works at all against much faster strikers with lateral movement who don't just stand in front of him.

That said, I personally feel Gus should have stayed retired.
We tried to warn you. Lol

Back