What’s the coldest you’ve ever been?

At a club once and these two chicks tried stealing our drinks and some cash , security saw their scam and kicked them out, the girls wanted me to say that they were with me and I just turned to the bouncer and said I don’t know these chicks, cold as ice
naruto-the.gif

Grew up in Minnesota. They closed school down one day because it was -32 with a - 50 something windchill.

My buddy and I decide we're gonna make the most of it and go rent some video games. We got on our bikes and started on our 3 mile journey. Had to cut through a wide open parking lot of a mall and tapped out halfway through. The longest ride back of my life.

las vegas in december waiting for the bus with SO much wind... it just blew right through my jeans and hoodie i was getting worried.

It would be interesting if we could compare our lowest core body temperatures.

Your core body temperature never dropped 1C unless you were in a convulsing state and in serious threat of death.

I took a grad physiology class and we watched a core body temp experiment that would not be considered ethical now. Naked grad student with a fan blowing on him in 0C room. It took 4 fucking hours for his core temp to drop 1 degree Celsius. Needless to say his body was flopping around uncontrollably.

Your core body temperature never dropped 1C unless you were in a convulsing state and in serious threat of death.

I took a grad physiology class and we watched a core body temp experiment that would not be considered ethical now. Naked grad student with a fan blowing on him in 0C room. It took 4 fucking hours for his core temp to drop 1 degree Celsius. Needless to say his body was flopping around uncontrollably.

Apparently mild hypothermia only sets in when the body temperature has fallen at least 2 degrees C below normal. This source doesn't say anything about convulsing or flopping around uncontrollably (are you describing shivering?) but it says moderate hypothermia is from at least 5 degrees C below normal and severe hypothermia-> death becomes a risk at 9 below normal.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21164-hypothermia-low-body-temperature

Hypothermia, or low body temperature, is a condition that occurs when your body’s temperature drops below 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius). The average normal body temperature is 98.6 F (37 C).

Mild hypothermia

Mild hypothermia means your body temperature is between 95 F and 89.6 F (35 C and 32 C). Signs of mild hypothermia include:

Shivering and chattering teeth.
Exhaustion.
Clumsiness, slow movements and reactions.
Sleepiness.
Weak pulse.
Fast heart rate (tachycardia).
Rapid breathing (tachypnea).
Pale skin color.
Confusion and poor judgment/loss of awareness.
Excessive urination.
Trouble speaking.

Moderate hypothermia

Moderate hypothermia means your body temperature is between 89.6 F and 82.4 F (32 C and 28 C). Signs of moderate hypothermia include:

Slow down in breathing and heart rate.
Slurred speech.
Decline in mental function.
Hallucinations.
Decreased shivering.
Bluish color to skin (cyanosis).
Increased muscle stiffness.
Dilated pupils.
Abnormal heart rhythm.
Decreased blood pressure.
Weakened reflexes.
Loss of consciousness.

Apparently mild hypothermia only sets in when the body temperature has fallen at least 2 degrees C below normal. This source doesn't say anything about convulsing or flopping around uncontrollably (are you describing shivering?) but it says moderate hypothermia is from at least 5 degrees C below normal and severe hypothermia-> death becomes a risk at 9 below normal.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21164-hypothermia-low-body-temperature

Hypothermia, or low body temperature, is a condition that occurs when your body’s temperature drops below 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius). The average normal body temperature is 98.6 F (37 C).

Mild hypothermia

Mild hypothermia means your body temperature is between 95 F and 89.6 F (35 C and 32 C). Signs of mild hypothermia include:

Shivering and chattering teeth.
Exhaustion.
Clumsiness, slow movements and reactions.
Sleepiness.
Weak pulse.
Fast heart rate (tachycardia).
Rapid breathing (tachypnea).
Pale skin color.
Confusion and poor judgment/loss of awareness.
Excessive urination.
Trouble speaking.

Moderate hypothermia

Moderate hypothermia means your body temperature is between 89.6 F and 82.4 F (32 C and 28 C). Signs of moderate hypothermia include:

Slow down in breathing and heart rate.
Slurred speech.
Decline in mental function.
Hallucinations.
Decreased shivering.
Bluish color to skin (cyanosis).
Increased muscle stiffness.
Dilated pupils.
Abnormal heart rhythm.
Decreased blood pressure.
Weakened reflexes.
Loss of consciousness.

This was far beyond shivering. The rest subject had no control over his body at the point that his core temperature dropped 1 degree Celsius.

Body temperature is not core temperature. No way are any of those conditions you listed related to core temperature. Core body temperature refers to the temperature of the body's internal organs, such as the heart, liver, brain and blood.

About -50C (-58F) north of Winnipeg. Not fun.

When I was stationed in Korea, dead of winter, the wind blowing across those frozen rice paddies was the coldest I have experienced.

Probably the year I spent in Wyoming. 7th of May as I was driving away forever, there was 5 inches of Snow on my car.

It was 10 F or -12 C, I was went with sweat from having biked 30 miles and the wind was blowing hard. Not the coldest temp but I was so exhausted by how cold I was that I wanted to go to sleep in the ditch.

Can't rightly say, as a Canadian. Every winter is the coldest ever and just blends together. Never been in a situation that I couldn't hide from it, though. I can remember playing hockey in some shit hole arena that had no heating. Toes were frozen after like two minutes. That's probably the worst I can remember.

During the ice storm of 98 we lost power for about 3 weeks. The first night, I thought I'd be OK staying in the house if I bundled up with blankets. I woke up in the morning, I'd been shivering so hard I couldn't stand up straight, I felt cold for like 2 days after that. After that, I slept in the car and felt like a retard for not thinking of it the night before. I had heat and radio in the car.

Absolute coldest: Cryotherapy, shit's cold y'all.

Coldest weather: Around -10F.

The coldest I've subjectively felt was when I fell through the ice into a lake and then walked home in wet clothes. It wasn't that far, half a mile or so, l but it was cold and windy. That sucked, I wouldn't recommend it. By the time I got home my clothes were frozen and I couldn't feel my extremities. Then when I started to warm back up it felt like I was on fire. I think I very narrowly avoided hypothermia and frostbite.

Eh. Every winter in my current town we get temps of -40+ with -50 windchills. Made the mistake of taking a walk to the store one day in it to get snacks. Couldn’t fucking breathe in that cold, and my skin burned. Honestly just walking from the car into the grocery store is bad/long enough never mind a whole ass walk.

Also that time I was travelling across Canada in the winter. Was out in the prairies waiting for my cat to take a piss. Not sure how cold it was but the wind made it absolutely miserable and it was dry as fuck. After that we just set up a litter box in the vehicle and dealt with that instead. Fuck the prairies.

Jumping into a pool in the middle of winter. The shock was no joke.

Now that fall is about to settle in. It's going to get much colder eventually in a few months. Just wondering when was the coldest you've ever been?

When I kid I went ice fishing with my dad and his friends and I couldn't believe how cold it was on the lake there. Man it must of reached around -40. It was really cold, lucky we had some fire that we made in metal box of some kind.

Only did it once and never did that again. lol
Me and my friend went ice fishing in -28, -40 with the wind chill. Was going to ask whether you meant farenheit or Celsius but -40 is actually the same in both lol.

I’ve seen -60 at arctic mining sites with the windchill before. There’s days where it’s so bad conditions, each person is tied to the person before and after them to get places.

The money I’ve made from this stuff is the reason I’ve been able to set a good life up for myself and run my business however. You can’t work very long in that without needing to go stand in heat and you can’t use man lifts and stuff so it makes stuff way harder.

Seems similar to oil rig work i guess.Good money for less hours but difficult work.

Strange thing, probably the coldest I ever felt was when we had a snowstorm in my area and the busses were all shut down, wind chill, it was awful. It was an overwhelming cold that I've never felt since even though I've been in much colder weather.

When I had a chance to acclimate to Alaska's weather, 30 below wasn't so bad at all and certainly if there was no wind. However, not being acclimated and just going up in winter was hard on my system one time, I was turning different colors because my system couldn't handle the cold air. But, the coldest I ever was was in that storm and that was probably not even that cold so i don't know what it was about that.

Back