What’s your blood type?

AB+ the most useless blood to donate:
-Can only be donated to Other AB+ people
-AB+ people can receive any other blood as we’re the universal recipient
-we only make up 3% of the population

Ironically my doctor wants me to donate every two months because I have hemochromatosis so it would be an effective way to keep my blood iron levels in check.

-we only make up 3% of the population

Ironically my doctor wants me to donate every two months because I have hemochromatosis so it would be an effective way to keep my blood iron levels in check.
Your Red blood cells are not too exciting, true. But you are the universal plasma donor.

Same here. Universal donor, but we can only receive O negative.

Yeah same, I need to donate again, I think I've only donated 4 times ever, the blood bank sends me letters all the time though.

I think I"m some shitty type where I can donate to anyone but can only take something specific

Your Red blood cells are not too exciting, true. But you are the universal plasma donor.

That’s true, but I don’t donate plasma because if I did that would interfere with my blood donation schedule, which I do to treat my hemochromatosis.

I work in a blood bank, ask me anything.

I'm A+. Most people are O+ or A+.

You can give people the opposite RH type blood, for instance, you can give an A negative person A positive blood but they will get basically what's like an allergic reaction (hives...ect) but they can medicate to counteract it. If you give the wrong ABO type you will probably kill the person. What happens is the body reacts to the blood causing the red blood cells to pop and dump protein into your bloodstream which causes kidney failure.

Type O Negative

9376a365846aad390a8f19ca8e185a01.jpg

A-

Funny story about that. When I was in basic training we got the gamut of inoculations and blood tests, they said "Ok, you're A+" I'm like...

<HanaKimura01> R.I.P. Hana :(

So, I had a physical some years later and got a report that I was A-. I'm like, "WHAT?" I said, check it again. They did and yup, A-. I'm glad I never got injured in the field because they would've looked at my dog-tags and...

Ouch.

A-

Funny story about that. When I was in basic training we got the gamut of inoculations and blood tests, they said "Ok, you're A+" I'm like...

<HanaKimura01> R.I.P. Hana :(

So, I had a physical some years later and got a report that I was A-. I'm like, "WHAT?" I said, check it again. They did and yup, A-. I'm glad I never got injured in the field because they would've looked at my dog-tags and...

Ouch.
You would have been OK as long as you got A. It might make you feel like shit for a little while but you wouldn't die.

You would have been OK as long as you got A. It might make you feel like shit for a little while but you wouldn't die.

Wow. Thanks but I'm nowhere near willing to experience that! :)

Wow. Thanks but I'm nowhere near willing to experience that! :)
They will transfuse RH+ blood in people that are RH- in emergencies if they don't have the negative blood. Most of the time they get flu-like symptoms for a few days but at least you don't die of blood loss.

S, for Sherbro

Reported for blood privilege racism, and AB+ supremacy

Back