What are some of the worst beatings that the challenger has given to the champion?

Allnatty Hendricks vs Allnatty GSP.

With the Jones/Gus 1 fight, its so funny how everyone loves to forget that this was Jones big toe 6 months before that fight....Literally lost his ability to balance himself, imagine trying to walk on that 6 months later, let alone fight on it . But no, let's pretend that never happened, amirite?
View attachment 680497

Well, we all saw what happened the 2nd time around, when Jones had 2 working feet......

when jones himself admits that he gets wasted a week out from his fights to give him an excuse if he loses, theres no need to reach as hard as that m8

Lots of good fights in this thread but no one has said Penn v Sherk yet. Pillar to post beating, ending like this:

And BJ detractors, if you don’t get how good Sherk was at this moment in time, then you cannot get how good BJ really was. This fight could easily have been for the #3 WW in the world, behind 2 GOATs.

Penn wasn't challenging Sherk for a title though.

This. It was a very competitve and close fight, but i wouldn't exactly call it a beating, never mind a one sided beating. The fact is that while Hendricks did land some good hits on Georges, the skin and tissue of the latter just swell and get red very fast. Similar to Adesanya against Gastelum. Adesanya looked as bad if not worse than Gastelum after the fight, yet Adesanya landed more and dropped Gastelum a friggin' four times inside the fight.
It was way worse than that. GSP's brain was so rattled that he repeated the same sentence 30 times in the post-fight speech.

It was way worse than that. GSP's brain was so rattled that he repeated the same sentence 30 times in the post-fight speech.
Didn't see it, only saw the post fight interview afaik (and GSP didn't seem to be rattled, at least to me).

(Nice signature by the way)

Joanna Vs Esparza was an absolute fucking sustained beatdown.

PF8j9b.gif
not really, 1st round was competitive. Joanna began to increase the damage and finished strong though

Lots of good fights in this thread but no one has said Penn v Sherk yet. Pillar to post beating, ending like this:

And BJ detractors, if you don’t get how good Sherk was at this moment in time, then you cannot get how good BJ really was. This fight could easily have been for the #3 WW in the world, behind 2 GOATs.

Not applicable to this thread.

Didn't see it, only saw the post fight interview afaik (and GSP didn't seem to be rattled, at least to me).

(Nice signature by the way)
It was so bad Dana said he had gone straight to the hospital in the post-fight conference, which he probably should have done. You can probably catch it on youtube. Georges looked like he was seeing several of his alien friends in the cage with him.

Thanks. I get fewer likes now but I feel some hard truths need to be said.

Wanderlei Silva vs Sakuraba 3
When Wanderlei Silva fought Sakuraba for the third time in 2003 still for PRIDE. They left Sakuraba for 3 weeks in the hospital.
Inside the ring the story was repeated for the third time, at the end of the fight the raised arm was that of Silva. In a close match where the two gladiators showed that they wanted to leave only with the victory, it was worth the speed of the Brazilian athlete's hands. With a cross on his chin, Silva knocked down Kazushi Sakuraba for the third time and ended one of the most exciting trilogies in the fighting world. The famous rivalry at the time had a winner and his name was Wanderlei Silva, increasingly champion and increasingly hero in the world of MMA.

tumblr_mh9zkg6dbw1ry1rm7o2_250.gif

Maybe not so much of a beating as it was taking Dom's circling dancing game and doing it better.
FreshHeftyAmericancurl-small.gif
ThreadbareBoringDodo-size_restricted.gif
tyx2eX.gif

when jones himself admits that he gets wasted a week out from his fights to give him an excuse if he loses, theres no need to reach as hard as that m8

Pretending that a broken (almost snapped off) big toe won't affect your balance in a fight, just 6 months after the injury?

Who's reaching again?

We have seen other the years many instances when the Champion dominates the challenger from bell to bell (ex:Most GSP wins , Stipe vs Ngannou , Cruz vs MM/Faber 3 etc) but we have also seen instances when the challenger gives the champion a vicious beating in some cases going to a decision while in some finishing him , Here are some of my favorites.
Please dont post fluke fights such as first round fluke knockouts as vicious beatings , Im taking about guys going to the hospital from the beating they took from their opponent or being completely answer-less against them.

RDA vs Pettis - Pettis absolutely had nothing for the big underdog RDA , RDA domianted all 5 rounds showing that he and Pettis arent in the same league. One of the most dominant performances imo.
tumblr_nv7mgxxpM61ueu615o3_250.gif

USATSI_8447072.jpg

-
GSP destroying Top 10 GOAT Matt Hughes in their second fight to avenge his first loss definitely deserves a mention ,All-Time great Hughes had nothing in answer for the future greatest of all time Georges St-Pierre and after getting saved by the bell in the first round he was finished by a vicious headkick and follow-up punches in the second.
gsp-kicks-hughes.gif

06FE649D-1422-0E8C-9A7E950E151FE725.jpg

-
The challenger ALexander Gustafsson surprised many when he put a vicious beating in the heavily favored Jon Jones , Although losing in cards Gustafsson put a beating in Jones in that night sending him right to the hospital after the fight. No one ever had seen Jones getting beat up like that until Gus put a beating on him.
6a00d8341bf8f353ef019aff8bdddb970c-900wi

gus-jones-punch-sweat.jpg

jonesgus_crop_exact.jpg

-
Jones absolutely destroyed Shogun Rua to become the youngest UFC champion in the history , Although Rua's best days were clearly behind him the way Jones did this was still impressive.
jon-Jones-vs.-Shogun-Rua-UFC-128.png

giphy.gif

-
Georges St-Pierre avenged his first-round upset loss against Matt Serra in a devestating fashion avenging yet one of his losses in brutal fashion , Proving that he was the way more skilled fighter and that the first fight result would happen only once in a thousand times.
giphy.gif

mma_stpierre_serra2_580.jpg

-
Randy Couture coming back from retirement(short-lived but still) in the age of 43 and dominate the then UFC HW Champion Tim Sylvia from bell to bell dropping him in the opening minute of the fight is one of the most impressive and satistfying performances of all time , Randy went on to win all the rounds of that fight and beat Slvia both in the ground and standing to once again become the heavyweight champion of the world
latest

randy-couture_tim-sylvia.gif

20148356-7610737-image-a-74_1571948694566.jpg

Serra on GSP... then GSP on Serra.
Worth mentioning: Silva & Sonnen I... though the champ won in this case, despite the beating he took.

Pretending that a broken (almost snapped off) big toe won't affect your balance in a fight, just 6 months after the injury?

Who's reaching again?

6 months lol

Have a look how long it takes for a broken toe to heal. I mean you're definitely right about all this arent you? No harm in looking! Will only prove you right after all

Wanderlei Silva vs Sakuraba 3
When Wanderlei Silva fought Sakuraba for the third time in 2003 still for PRIDE. They left Sakuraba for 3 weeks in the hospital.
Inside the ring the story was repeated for the third time, at the end of the fight the raised arm was that of Silva. In a close match where the two gladiators showed that they wanted to leave only with the victory, it was worth the speed of the Brazilian athlete's hands. With a cross on his chin, Silva knocked down Kazushi Sakuraba for the third time and ended one of the most exciting trilogies in the fighting world. The famous rivalry at the time had a winner and his name was Wanderlei Silva, increasingly champion and increasingly hero in the world of MMA.

tumblr_mh9zkg6dbw1ry1rm7o2_250.gif
Cool fight, but not applicable to the thread.

Love me some Sakuraba but he was no match for Wanderlei. There was no third fight to settle a rivalry, Wand was already up 2-0. That third fight was part of the MW GP btw, I don't believe Silva's belt was on the line.

Cool fight, but not applicable to the thread.

Love me some Sakuraba but he was no match for Wanderlei. There was no third fight to settle a rivalry, Wand was already up 2-0. That third fight was part of the MW GP btw, I don't believe Silva's belt was on the line.

They were scheduled for a 4th fight too, but Saku got injured and replaced by Hunt.

jones vs shogun is the only correct answer.

shogun got exposed so bad he tapped to strikes lol

Back