What are the best Book about training and/or Diet?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by SouthSide971, Aug 9, 2018 at 1:50 PM.

1. SouthSide971

SouthSide971 Blue Belt

Hi guys,
    I train in mma and I look for the best possible ways to impress my physical abilities and my cardio.
    Since im Always on my phone on the internet looking for some training/diet advice
    I think it's time for me to go to books, do you have any good books on the subject to recommend?

2. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Blue Belt

I have been reading practical programming for strength training by mark rippetoe and enjoying it. It lays out a simple novice and advanced novice training routine, and then gives a plethora of intermediate and advanced routines and the pros and cons of each. If your new I'm sure starting strength would be worth reading first.

~DaViD~

3. corpse

corpse Random Belt

i think ross enamait's books are worth a look for more general workout info for ma.

4. Cross_Trainer

Cross_Trainer Yellow Belt

I'm not a nutritionist, so take my recommendation with a few pounds of salt. But since you asked for diet advice:

I found Teri Tom's "Martial Arts Nutrition" to be pretty helpful. She was the nutritionist for Amir Khan, Pacquiao, and Arlovski among others, so she has experience with combat sport athletes. Her book explains the basics of the background science pretty clearly. It also has a bunch of sample diets with varied calorie counts, and a simple and understandable system to adapt it to your needs.

EDIT: If you do judo or BJJ, there's a judo conditioning book that came out recently that's pretty good for big picture stuff. Called, appropriately enough, "Strength and Conditioning for Judo". I haven't finished it, but like it so far for its clarity in explaining the general S&C principles at work.