What are the best judo gi brands?

Williestubz2014

White Belt
Reaction score
I know of a few, mizuno, adidas, fushida, Fuji, and other brands out there that I can look at?

Mizuno is probably best/high end in my experience

Dax moskito has a cult following if you like heavy double weave

Also have a Fuji which I like lot

Got an Isiami BJJ gi which is solid so i imagine the judo version is solid too.

I also have several Ronin gis which were fine but sleeves shrank

I think Kusakura makes the Kodakan gym Gi, seemed ok and was thinking about buying one over there but don't really know anything else about it.

Mizuno is probably best/high end in my experience

Dax moskito has a cult following if you like heavy double weave

Also have a Fuji which I like lot

Got an Isiami BJJ gi which is solid so i imagine the judo version is solid too.

I also have several Ronin gis which were fine but sleeves shrank

I think Kusakura makes the Kodakan gym Gi, seemed ok and was thinking about buying one over there but don't really know anything else about it.

Can you explain the whole cult following with dax moskito?

I have heard people say they're the most armour-like, and the toughest on your opponent's fingers. I've never actually seen or gripped one though, so I can't really tell you what they're like.

In terms of gis, I have a cheap Fuji single weave, a Mizuno Shiai, and a Fushida Icon. I like my Fushida and Mizuno a lot. Most people I've trained with use either a Mizuno or Fushida. I've only seen one KuSakura gi before.

I have heard people say they're the most armour-like, and the toughest on your opponent's fingers. I've never actually seen or gripped one though, so I can't really tell you what they're like.

that is a good explanation. I have one in rotation. They are very thick and stiff some people (like my coach) love them. but not many usa stores carry them.

I know of a few, mizuno, adidas, fushida, Fuji, and other brands out there that I can look at?
Mizuno, Adidas, Kusakura, Mitsuboshi, Fushida, Fighting Films, and Essimo are all top-tier brands. Fuji is an economy brand through-and-through; it's not to say that their stuff sucks, but it's a lot cheaper than, say, a Mizuno, both in terms of price and quality.

There's also a few other brands that dabbled a bit in judogi's but have since more or less quit, including Atama and Yudan which both made high quality judogis at one point.

The OLD Dax Moskito was a finger-wrecker. 1000GSM ROUGH double weave, grossly thick and stiff lapels, 4-inch wide setsugi, and (relatively) tapered sleeves. The damn gi could stand up on its own after a hang-drying! They stopped making that model though and changed to a more finger-friendly version after the last IJF rules change that essentially rendered all regulation judogis practically bathrobes.

Mizuno, Adidas, Kusakura, Mitsuboshi, Fushida, Fighting Films, and Essimo are all top-tier brands. Fuji is an economy brand through-and-through; it's not to say that their stuff sucks, but it's a lot cheaper than, say, a Mizuno, both in terms of price and quality.

There's also a few other brands that dabbled a bit in judogi's but have since more or less quit, including Atama and Yudan which both made high quality judogis at one point.

The OLD Dax Moskito was a finger-wrecker. 1000GSM ROUGH double weave, grossly thick and stiff lapels, 4-inch wide setsugi, and (relatively) tapered sleeves. The damn gi could stand up on its own after a hang-drying! They stopped making that model though and changed to a more finger-friendly version after the last IJF rules change that essentially rendered all regulation judogis practically bathrobes.

My only thing is that the dax moskito was described as the hck of judo world and I hate everything about hck kimonos in bjj

My only thing is that the dax moskito was described as the hck of judo world and I hate everything about hck kimonos in bjj

What is it about the HCK that you hated? If you answer the weight, the thickness, and the stiffness, those are actually assets in a judogi vs. a BJJ gi haha!

Thinking on buying a Matsuru or two for competition gis. How does the size compare to Fujis (which are all I own, at the moment)?

In terms of gis, I have a cheap Fuji single weave, a Mizuno Shiai, and a Fushida Icon. I like my Fushida and Mizuno a lot. Most people I've trained with use either a Mizuno or Fushida. I've only seen one KuSakura gi before.

This is super true. I freaking hate grabbing people who wear them, haha

What is it about the HCK that you hated? If you answer the weight, the thickness, and the stiffness, those are actually assets in a judogi vs. a BJJ gi haha!

I know that but im thinking, why don't I see more people wearing this judo gi? Also, heavy isn't good all the time is it?

What about Green Hill ?
That brand is popular here and I have seen Fuji too---

I know that but im thinking, why don't I see more people wearing this judo gi? Also, heavy isn't good all the time is it?
Because the HCK was never IJF legal, and for the price you'd pay for a new one at the time (when the HCK double weave was still in production), you could get an IJF-approved judogi from one of the big brands. HCK was just never a really popular brand for judo, and was more well-known in BJJ circles. It's like why the Atama judogi was never very popular; it was a high-quality judogi that was about the same price as all the other upmarket judogi's, but it was from a less well-known brand (in judo circles) and never had IJF approval for competition (although its cut was to spec).

In regards to judo, generally speaking, yes, heavy is good all the time. Before there were regulations regarding the weight/thickness of gi's, the heaver/thicker the gi, the harder it was for opponents to grip you and the easier it was for you to break grips. The ideal gi was thick, heavy, and tight/close-cut to the body. Now, with so many changes in comp gi regulation by the IJF, judogi's are thinner and baggier and therefore easier to grip and rip, which sucks.

What about Green Hill ?
That brand is popular here and I have seen Fuji too---
Green Hill kinda sucks; they paid big bucks for IJF approval last time the regulations changed, but the build quality and materials are very mediocre and aren't worth the price charged. With the current change in IJF regulations, Green Hill didn't apply for the new certification and now you never see them around anymore (or at least not as prolifically as a couple years ago).

Because the HCK was never IJF legal, and for the price you'd pay for a new one at the time (when the HCK double weave was still in production), you could get an IJF-approved judogi from one of the big brands. HCK was just never a really popular brand for judo, and was more well-known in BJJ circles. It's like why the Atama judogi was never very popular; it was a high-quality judogi that was about the same price as all the other upmarket judogi's, but it was from a less well-known brand (in judo circles) and never had IJF approval for competition (although its cut was to spec).

In regards to judo, generally speaking, yes, heavy is good all the time. Before there were regulations regarding the weight/thickness of gi's, the heaver/thicker the gi, the harder it was for opponents to grip you and the easier it was for you to break grips. The ideal gi was thick, heavy, and tight/close-cut to the body. Now, with so many changes in comp gi regulation by the IJF, judogi's are thinner and baggier and therefore easier to grip and rip, which sucks.

Green Hill kinda sucks; they paid big bucks for IJF approval last time the regulations changed, but the build quality and materials are very mediocre and aren't worth the price charged. With the current change in IJF regulations, Green Hill didn't apply for the new certification and now you never see them around anymore (or at least not as prolifically as a couple years ago).

Thank you, all I see here is mostly Adidas and Greenhill so if I don´t get Fuji I´ll pick one of the pakistanis no brand judogis that are very durable and now have some polyester on them, I´ll check that other cool brand only in case I´ll go out again, thank´s---

Thank you, all I see here is mostly Adidas and Greenhill so if I don´t get Fuji I´ll pick one of the pakistanis no brand judogis that are very durable and now have some polyester on them, I´ll check that other cool brand only in case I´ll go out again, thank´s---

You're very welcome!

anybody know where to get kusakura in the US? only place ive seen is dojo outfitters and they dont have my size left

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epsteins Guard
Back