What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

''The Player of Games'' by Iain Banks, digging it so far.
I realise this post is from August 2018.
But I have to ask - did you get sucked into Bank's Culture and read every book available subsequently? Based on your location "Chiark Orbital" I am going to assume yes.
The Culture series really resonated with me, damn it was good. i wish i could forget them and then re-experience them all fresh again.

RIP Iain.

Finished this which was excellent.
kingsofthewyld_9780316362474_tp_f2.jpg

Now working my way through Red Rising after seeing a recommendation on here.

brown-redrising_600x.jpg

kings of the wyld was fantastic, you gona give bloody rose a read? I didnt fancy it, seems a bit too much like feminism

Finished up the first 3 books in the "Legends of the first Empire" series, which is prequal to the Riyria Revelations series.

Fantastic series that I'm enjoying more than the Riyria books which I loved. I've read that book 4 ends in a cliff hanger and book 5 is due early next year, so I'm holding off for a bit to continue the series.

I realise this post is from August 2018.
But I have to ask - did you get sucked into Bank's Culture and read every book available subsequently? Based on your location "Chiark Orbital" I am going to assume yes.
The Culture series really resonated with me, damn it was good. i wish i could forget them and then re-experience them all fresh again.

RIP Iain.

Yeah, pretty much. Still many books to go thru tho, right now I'm reaing ''Surface Detail'' and really enjoying it, what are your favorites in the series? Recently I've also read ''Complicity'' by Iain Banks (which is not from The Culture series, it's set in Scotland in the 90s) and also really liked it. The Culture has some amazing worldbuilding and the ethos The Culture is built on resonates with me politically, I think I also find refreshing that it's utopian sci-fi in a genre that is oversaturated with dystopian stuff (it's the same with sci-fi movies and tv-series, it seems most authors can only imagine the future and technology in a very bleak way, I find it very trite).

Gonna crack this fucker open tonite!

LittleHatred_FINAL.jpg

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this, didnt know there was a new one out. Abercrombie definitely my favourite recent, active fantasy writer alongside Branderson. Going Offshore monday, which will mean lots of quiet evenings, which are saved now.

Seen a lot of praise for Kings of the Wyld in this thread, it's strange, I thought it was pretty bad, like a 2-3 out of 6, with lots of just fucking cringeworthy characters and scenes like when they get robbed by the girl bandits, etc.

I've been reading "A Mark of Kings" by Bryce O'Connors and Luke Chmilenko because I got it cheap or free on kindle....and actually I'm really enjoying it. Not as much as The Half-Orc Series by David Dalglish (some of my favorite fantasy work and found the same way) but so far it's a lot of fun. Every once in a while I scroll thru the free or .99 cent fantasy/sci fi section on kindle and snag stuff that looks interesting...have found some great stuff this way as well as some terrible stuff lol...some of it was terrible stuff by authors where I love some of their other work. Anyone read either Half-Orcs or Mark of Kings? I can't get the fancy book cover image thing to work ,sorry

I reached the halfway point of the first Darth Bane book and really want to see what the ultra hot breathtaking sexy curvy Githany looks like.

I also want to see what the other characters look like.

I reached the halfway point of the first Darth Bane book and really want to see what the ultra hot breathtaking sexy curvy Githany looks like.

I also want to see what the other characters look like.

All of Darth Bane is amazing. Wish they'd do a movie series

All of Darth Bane is amazing. Wish they'd do a movie series
Apparently there was a Jedi vs Sith comic series and I saw some depictions of some characters on a Star Wars wikia. I'd settle for a realistic 3D computer generated cartoon.

Bumping this thread since there was a lot of Abercrombie talk in the last few pages. The last book in the First Law World and the Age of Madness trilogy book drops tomorrow:

51iz-6I4TDL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Got my copy pre ordered and will will be starting it tomorrow. Tons of stuff went down at the end of The Trouble with Peace, so dying to find out how everything shakes out.

Interested in seeing how Rikke's prophecy ends: "I saw a wolf eat the sun, then a lion ate the wolf. A lamb ate the lion and the owl ate the lamb."

Hoping that Logen makes an appearance since he went by Lamb in Red Country, but Orso was also referred to as the Young Lamb so it's most likely him since he is one of the main line characters and Logen would be in his 60's at this point. No hint at the Owl yet, but guessing it's probably going to be Rikke with her fits and the long eye.

Back