What bends your mind every time you think about it?

Creation itself. What existed before the universe? How did it come to be? What existed before?

Makes my head hurt and I have to stop thinking about it. @BearGrounds knows what I'm talking about.
Just imagine a heartbeat once every quadrillion years. One is the big bang the other the big crunch. And it just goes on forever

Wave/particle duality.
For anyone unfamiliar, experiments were done to determine if light is fundamentally a particle, or a wave. It turns out, it is both. It is a wave unless/until it is observed or measured in some way, at which point it “becomes” a particle.

Some interpretations of quantum physics believe everything is this way: the things you are looking at right now only look like carpet, couch, and walls because you are looking at them. Everything you can’t see right now is a quantum soup of wave/particle duality, and isn’t really the reality you think it is at all—until you turn to look at/observe it.

That if you travelled an AU(distance between Earth and Sun) for every dollar Elon Musk has you'd pass the Andromeda and Trianglum Galaxys. Those are the only 2 large galaxys that aren't moving away from us and that are possible to reach. Thus that would be enough to travel what will eventually become the whole observable universe.

That's a good one, so the universe and everything in it? Or is it lifeforms that have the ability to be aware that it exists?
Carl Sagan, the legendary U.S. writer and scientist once said (in his book Cosmos i think) that he believes the Universe is "teeming with life".

and I tend to think he is probably right. The sheer numbers imply it.
For life to exist (as we know it) you need liquid water, organic chemicals, and an energy source. That's it.
Those 3 things are present in abundance almost everywhere we have looked so far.

The 6 key chemical elements for life are : Nitrogen, Oxygen, Carbon, Hydrogen, Sulphur, Phosphorous.

I am pretty sure we've found evidence (via spectral analysis of the light from the other solar system planets, and also exoplanets) in many different worlds that telescopes (like hubble and Webb) have looked at so far.

I'm going to say black holes, it's seems fascinating and complexed at the same time.

180412-albert-einstein-se-1128a.jpg
That's good that you included a picture of Einstein because he lies at the center of what probably perplexes me the most.

Space time is kind of the same thing in that it describes dimensions. Those dimensions exist either infinitely or finiteley as a block and our experience of them is our movement through them.

This means that there is little difference from a fundamental physics observation of the universe and it's composition point of view, between the distance from here to there and now to then.

So asking what happens after you die is very much the same as asking what happens beyond the end of your fingers.

This raises questions for consciousness and the perception of self, primarily for me how is it that at this very moment I feel distinct and yet we are all the continuation of the very same object through time.

Recently I started to consider that my left shoulder probably feels relatively distinct from my right shoulder and yet the whole of me considers them both to be part of the one. Likewise every iteration of me through time has considered itself entirely distinct and yet is also part of the one.

We are waves. The universe is waves.

Why looking at the sun makes me sneeze.
It's the photic sneeze reflex, a quarter of the population have the genes that code for the response and we don't know why it's there, not all adaptions are adaptive.

Yea, pretty much the universe and everything in it, including myself.

The concept of nothing vs something, and this being the something that exists to counter the, I guess, nothing?

I feel like I'm going to implode just trying to wrap my head around it, so I basically just retreat into a state of:

<WhatItIs>

And go on about my day.
The idea that nothing exists is as mind bending as the idea that something exists at all. Maybe the existence and non-existence keep taking turns.

if there is always a big crunch and a big bang...which one are we? Are we the first? or the 10th cycle of it?
nobody knows, it's just a theory that goes from big bang, to expansion, to crunch back to bang and on and on

The idea that nothing exists is as mind bending as the idea that something exists at all. Maybe the existence and non-existence keep taking turns.

Ancient Indian mythology involves such cycles, I believe.

When you think about how tiny and insignificant we are compared to the size and life span of the universe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back