What can you tell me about Marcus Almeida "Buchecha" ?

rgp

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw some of his matches on youtube and liked his game and also, was very impressed. So I'm looking for other matches, maybe from when he was a purple/blue or any other info on his game. Thanks.

Samurai Jack you are a friggin genius, but I am looking for more 'hands-on' info, people who trained with him, learned from him or have similar game.

all I know is he got his BB last year at Worlds on the podium from Cavaca, after closing out the open division and winning his weight at brown.

my coach trained with him since he was a blue, and said even as a kid he was always a handful.

Sorry for my necroposting, but I wanted to avoid the opening of another similar thread.
According to Wikipedia and other web pages, Marcus "buchecha" Almeida is a 1st degree black belt. In the previous message, we read that he earned his black belt in 2010. But, isn't it strange? After 13 years and after 13 World titles, several Pan-Am titles, several international titles, is he still stuck to 1st degree? An athlete with a such resume, I'd think he is a 4th or 5th degree black belt.
What is his real dan?

Last edited:
Sorry for my necroposting, but I wanted to avoid the opening of another similar thread.
According to Wikipedia and other web pages, Marcus "buchecha" Almeida is a 1st degree black belt. In the previous message, we read that he earned his black belt in 2010. But, isn't it strange? After 13 years and after 13 World titles, several Pan-Am titles, several international titles, is he still stuck to 1st degree? An athlete with a such resume, I'd think he is a 4th or 5th degree black belt.
What is his real dan?
Black belt degrees are only about time in belt not skill

For a grappler who earned his BB 13 years ago, a second degree is a little bit too low...

For a grappler who earned his BB 13 years ago, a second degree is a little bit too low...
That's enough years for the 3 degree but degrees don't signify anything else other than time in belt so I assume he doesn't give a fuck.

What if I told you that IBJJF recognition of black belt stripes is a pain in the ass process and even top guys just ignore the whole thing?

And why are there a lot of grappler who climb the degrees and get higher and higher degrees?

Back