What Did You Cook Today? Photo Thread

54-B2-B167-374-F-4-DC5-88-B5-12-AE647-FE2-DE.jpg

Flat Iron with chimichurri. Can’t go wrong
Perfectly cooked wow

Last edited:
Today I bring you two Asian dishes.

First up, a braised prawn w/ roe- cooked in coconut juice, shallots, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and a little chicken bouillon. It’s a childhood favorite of mine.

fqhD1sT.jpg

wmsbseA.jpg

Now we travel to South Korea for a spicy squid served with udon noodles. We have carrots, green onions, white onion, garlic, Korean chili concoction, soy sauce, and squid.

VAfXFZu.jpg

yMON1aJ.jpg

I haven’t been cooking much lately but tonight I made a deconstructed “California Roll” called a SUSHI BAKE with salmon. It’s kind of a crazy idea- it’s basically a salmon California roll casserole

A mixture of shredded imitation crab meet (1 cup), 2 baked salmon filets (cooked to just barely one) broken up (reserving a 1/4 as topping), a block or cream cheese and 2 tbsp sriracha all mixed together.

Pour mixture over sushi rice in a casserole dish. Bake at 450 for 10-15 mins. You take roasted seaweed paper and make tacos. I used the salmon and baked it in the oven to crisp it up like bacon and then used it as a topping. Add some avocado and you’ll have the best ever california roll.

jXrqPzk.jpg

XyD4WJ5.jpg

I haven’t been cooking much lately but tonight I made a deconstructed “California Roll” called a SUSHI BAKE with salmon. It’s kind of a crazy idea- it’s basically a salmon California roll casserole

A mixture of shredded imitation crab meet (1 cup), 2 baked salmon filets (cooked to just barely one) broken up (reserving a 1/4 as topping), a block or cream cheese and 2 tbsp sriracha all mixed together.

Pour mixture over sushi rice in a casserole dish. Bake at 450 for 10-15 mins. You take roasted seaweed paper and make tacos. I used the salmon and baked it in the oven to crisp it up like bacon and then used it as a topping. Add some avocado and you’ll have the best ever california roll.

jXrqPzk.jpg

XyD4WJ5.jpg
Looks tasty

A few weeks ago I made my first legit roux and I chickened out with the color development, I didn't get it brown enough in fear it would burn.

Tonight was the rematch. "Man vs Roux II"

I used Isaac Toups (chef and author of "Chasing the Gator: the New Cajun Cooking"

I'm really enjoying the book. It's full of stories of his upbringing and the food culture in Cajun country.

Cooking vessel: Dutch oven.

Roux: 1/2 cup four, 1/2 cup grape seed oil. Stirred until it was the color of milk chocolate, then threw in-

Trinity: Bell pepper, onion, 3 ribs celery- diced. 10 cloves of garlic minced.

Beer to deglaze

Browned chicken thighs (seasoned) in oven for 20 mins and then added it to the Dutch oven alone with 4 bay leaves

ck4h9XO.jpg

Simmered for 1.5 hours, was supposed to be 3 hours but we got hungry. Taste tested a few times and seasoned it with a Cajun spice blend.

Final product:

nyI1FX7.jpg

Impressive. I love to cook but shy away from cajun/creole because it seems like one of the hardest.

Impressive. I love to cook but shy away from cajun/creole because it seems like one of the hardest.

I've had a crack at a few, it's not real hard, the stuff I've cooked anyway. I can't find andoullie sausage anywhere down here but I just sub chorizo and my gumbo still comes up good.

But yes make sure you get that roux to a chocolate colour, that's the key.

i know what you mean. I was worried about the roux burning too. The good thing is that it’s the first step, so if you happen to burn it, you only have to redo the first step. If you use a medium heat, for a medium roux it might take 20 mins so just watch it and keep stirring. For the dark roux with medium heat it might take 45 mins. Grab a beer and babysit it and you’ll be okay

I like using high gear and watch it like a Hawk and have the “Trinity” ready to dump in to cool it down when it hits the right color.

Check out Isaac Toups (he’s very entertaining and has videos on YouTube) book Catching the Gator, he breaks it down really well. I checked it out from the library

Tonight I used a recipe from The JOY OF COOKING cookbook, to make Linguine and Clams.

I wanted to use fresh little neck clams but my local market ran out! Good thing, the recipe had a canned clam variation.

Ingredients:
extra virgin olive oil
Onions (I used shallots)
Garlic
Chili flakes
Dried oregano
(Added fresh Italian parsley, lemon zest and juice)
White wine
Salt and pepper

AUq2lD8.jpg

rfyEDlW.jpg

I mixed in the pasta too rough and it broke into little short strands. I need to be more careful next time. I also shouldn’t saved some pasta water for the sauce
0zMWGqU.jpg

PgFUQcA.jpg

Next time I might add an anchovy to the sauce and definitely make sure I had fresh live clams.

For tonight’s dinner, I worked in tandem with my girlfriend and we took our taste buds to the far East, to Japan.

She made a Japanese curry. From what I understand, curry originated in India and made its way throughout Asia. I’ve always liked Thai curry growing up and then I enjoyed indian and Japanese curry. They’re all very different.

My job was the deep fried pork lion, encrusted with panko bread crumbs. I fried up 6 of them so I experimented with different seasonings. The pork all had salt and pepper, but for some I added chicken powder or garlic powder.

I used flour, egg, and panko for the crust. Fried up in peanut oil.

I made a quick Japanese coleslaw. We made Japanese short grain rice to soak up all the curry goodness. Some pickled radish as a palate cleanser

2X2A3tt.jpg

oZkKS8I.jpg

Jfv2vjI.jpg

p3QDlCX.jpg

What would happen if you tried to cook cookie dough like a pancake? Or fried it like French fries?

For tonight’s dinner, I worked in tandem with my girlfriend and we took our taste buds to the far East, to Japan.

She made a Japanese curry. From what I understand, curry originated in India and made its way throughout Asia. I’ve always liked Thai curry growing up and then I enjoyed indian and Japanese curry. They’re all very different.

My job was the deep fried pork lion, encrusted with panko bread crumbs. I fried up 6 of them so I experimented with different seasonings. The pork all had salt and pepper, but for some I added chicken powder or garlic powder.

I used flour, egg, and panko for the crust. Fried up in peanut oil.

I made a quick Japanese coleslaw. We made Japanese short grain rice to soak up all the curry goodness. Some pickled radish as a palate cleanser

2X2A3tt.jpg

oZkKS8I.jpg

Jfv2vjI.jpg

p3QDlCX.jpg

Nice. I grew up eating that. Kare raisu and tonkatsu were introduced from the Portuguese.

Last edited:
Thanks TS, this is a good thread and your steak in the OP looks absolutely amazing.

The last 10 years I’ve focused on smoking, and grilling, and with the hazard of sounding arrogant I’ve got some skills. The last few years I’ve been asked to cater around locally, and every time the events have produced more requests for my services.

Anyways, thanks for the thread and I’ll be contributing soon. In fact tomorrow for the big game I’m going to smoke 2 racks of baby back ribs. It’s almost muscle memory at this point.

Today I bring you two Asian dishes.

First up, a braised prawn w/ roe- cooked in coconut juice, shallots, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and a little chicken bouillon. It’s a childhood favorite of mine.

fqhD1sT.jpg

wmsbseA.jpg

Now we travel to South Korea for a spicy squid served with udon noodles. We have carrots, green onions, white onion, garlic, Korean chili concoction, soy sauce, and squid.

VAfXFZu.jpg

yMON1aJ.jpg
top one makes me wish i could reach through my screen and grab it

Back