What do you suggest to get past my Bench Press plateau?

Soma

Breathe the body deep
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, what chest exercise do you recommend to get me past my plateau? I'm stuck on my Bench Press, seems like I just can't lift any heavier. Everything else consistently goes up...Deadlifts, BOR's, OHP's, Squats, etc. Just stuck on the Bench Press.

Any suggestions?

What is your sticking point? IE do you fail right above your chest, or do you have trouble locking out.

Also, post your routine.

Not sure if this is going to help you or if this is anything like you but.

I noticed I wasnt increasing in a squats or bench a couple weeks ago, so I looked at my routine and try to figure what I need to improve on. Well after a couple test with different things in my routine I figured out it was because I was always working to my max. So for the last few week I stoped trying to max all the time and did 3x10 of set I know that i could do for bench and 5x5 of the same with squat. I have noticed a slow increase, but it was an increase and that was my problem.

Klotz,

I have trouble when pressing the weight back up. Once I get about halfway up my strength just seems to give.

I lift 2x a week (Don't have time to lift another day so 3x a week is not an option right now).

Monday:
Squats 5x5
OHP 5x5
BOR 5x5
Weighted Pullups 2x8

Wednesday:
Squats 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Deadlifts 5x5
Weighted Dips 2x8

MMA Wembly,

Interesting info, thanks. I'll think on that.

Doing 5x5 of squats and deadlifts on the same day would exhaust pretty much anybody. Try getting rid of squats on that day and you'll have a lot more energy.

As for your benching, if you're sticking near the top your weak link is probably triceps. Try doing board press, where you put a few pieces of wood on your chest and only go down to the wood, then press up from there.

What are BORS? It's not on the FAQ so don't flame please.

iojfm said:
What are BORS? It's not on the FAQ so don't flame please.

Bent Over Rows

Standard said:
Bent Over Rows

Thanks. Now I have to search for that exercise and find out what it is. Stupid english.

this might be tough but if you want to be hardcore you could buy some chains or something and bench press with them to add weight to the bar as you push it up. when you lift without them you will, supposedly, push through the breaking point pretty easily.

to be fair though I have never used them, just always thought they were a really good idea to help with the sticking problem halfway up (which is pretty much where everyone fails in their failure reps).

does anyone use chains or rubber bands attached to the floor in this way? I'd be curious to hear about it.

sounds to me like your problem is your triceps. Try adding a bit more weight/or another set to your dips, and also start doing some close grip bench press.

search for posts in the last couple weeks...it's been answered and reanswered

i would rethink your workout...

Use a wider grip while bench pressing, if your problem is the triceps try to involve them less while pressing hence the winder grip.

ephman said:
does anyone use chains or rubber bands attached to the floor in this way? I'd be curious to hear about it.

I just started training bench with them.

Seems like a few folks here have some experience with them, so I'll be asking questions from time to time - tune in to those and you'll get a bit of exposure.

iojfm said:
Use a wider grip while bench pressing, if your problem is the triceps try to involve them less while pressing hence the winder grip.

This may not be great advice if your shoulders aren't stable at the weight you're using, but it will decrease your ROM and involve more chest than tricep.

My advice would be to visit www.elitefts.com and learn about assistance exercises for bench.

Most likely candidates will be incline skull crushes, JM Presses, close grip BP, board presses, pin presses, and tate presses.

Back