What do you think about Chinese traditional medicine and herbalism?

There's no simple answer because a lot of traditional medicines (Chinese or otherwise) use elements that do help and also have ended up being the basis for things in modern medicine, while there is also a load of bullshit snake oil and thinking like "That rhino's horn reminds me of a hard virile penis so though it's not actually anything like that and is akin to a giant fingernail let's kill off an endangered species so some old fuckers will think they can get to bonin' their lady again."
It can be difficult to cull the bs from the stuff that works when it becomes too intertwined and just saying traditional Chinese medicine is a generality that covers both the good and bad so you can't be mad when people talk about the bad.

I have no idea why the o.p. asked the question though when he's combative with everyone that doesn't have an opinion he agrees with. You don't win anyone over like that, you just need to be chill and say "you should check out this or that, maybe it will change your mind that some things can work and can perhaps compl

I was only combative with the guy who made a racist statement towards the Chinese and the one that was slinging mud despite clearly not knowing anything about TCM.

you are asking a semi complex question
here in china TCM is part of everyday life and culture.
for medical students it is the same here as trying to be any other kind of medical professional. lots of training, studying, testing and residency before becomming liscened .
here tcm is just part of the eco-system of health care. every hospital hasc a tcm centre. how it works is usually tcm is used for smaller issues and western medicinal approaches are used for bigger things (cancers).

I dont know about the schools in europe but i know the ones in the usa are bit of a joke
my buddy had to host for some students from the usa and they in his opinon were basically useless.
most fo the foreigner students here are european or south east asian.
i think if you wanna become a serious professional you would need to go to a school out here.

In what respects are the US schools useless?
The one in Europe has faculty from China as well and they've worked as actual TCM doctors in hospitals over there. Is that not the case in most US schools?

I didn't know the CCP invented traditional Chinese medicine, which had existed for what? thousands of years?

God you're dumb.

The problem with many people is they link everything to political.

A third of the replies are laughable, which is understandable considering where the general users in Sherdog are from. They see Chinese, they think China, they see China, they think bad, full stop, end of discussion.

In every medical practices, there are good and bad. Some things like Rhino horn, mentioned multiple times itt as "prove" that TCM is bad, for dick pills are bullshit. Likewise there are western pills that probably have less than impressive result that is still out there simply because of Pharmaceutical giants lobbying/marketing.

If you need fast and immediate effect, western medicines is definitely the way to go.
If your health issue can afford time to be fixed and you want to solve the root of the problem, TCM should be the option to be considered. The problem is most people give up after 3 months, 6 months after seeing no effect. Everything need to be fast or immediate now.

Part of TCM includes diet, which is basically the same as Western Nutritionist. Fix the core of your body and you fix common/most health issue.

When I sprain my ankle or back, I don't go to the hospital, because all they probably do is a X-ray/MRI and give me pain killers and hope for the best.
I go to 铁打, no idea what it's called in English, but "probably similar" Chiropractic. I used probably because I haven't experienced Chiropractic.

Nothing is black and white. There are both good and bad in both western medicines and TCM.

In what respects are the US schools useless?
The one in Europe has faculty from China as well and they've worked as actual TCM doctors in hospitals over there. Is that not the case in most US schools?
for them it was more like a course that they could complete in two years with no serious residency or study. and a lot of them were hippy types rather than serious students

The problem with many people is they link everything to political.

A third of the replies are laughable, which is understandable considering where the general users in Sherdog are from. They see Chinese, they think China, they see China, they think bad, full stop, end of discussion.

In every medical practices, there are good and bad. Some things like Rhino horn, mentioned multiple times itt as "prove" that TCM is bad, for dick pills are bullshit. Likewise there are western pills that probably have less than impressive result that is still out there simply because of Pharmaceutical giants lobbying/marketing.

If you need fast and immediate effect, western medicines is definitely the way to go.
If your health issue can afford time to be fixed and you want to solve the root of the problem, TCM should be the option to be considered. The problem is most people give up after 3 months, 6 months after seeing no effect. Everything need to be fast or immediate now.

Part of TCM includes diet, which is basically the same as Western Nutritionist. Fix the core of your body and you fix common/most health issue.

When I sprain my ankle or back, I don't go to the hospital, because all they probably do is a X-ray/MRI and give me pain killers and hope for the best.
I go to 铁打, no idea what it's called in English, but "probably similar" Chiropractic. I used probably because I haven't experienced Chiropractic.

Nothing is black and white. There are both good and bad in both western medicines and TCM.
do you mean 跌打?
but yes that is like massage for sports injuriesas well as herbology
but you make a point I as going to say
western medicine is for serious stuff but good tcm should prevent that from happening
it's a whole mindset and approach to life

the older members of my wife's family live it to such a t that the only thing I could compare it to would be like marrying into an orthodox Jewish family

the current gen and my gen seems to be much more lax imo

your singaporean no?

for them it was more like a course that they could complete in two years with no serious residency or study. and a lot of them were hippy types rather than serious students

I get ya.
At this school it takes 4-5 years to fully qualify although it takes only 2-3 years if you want to gain a qualification in only one TCM practice (e.g. just herbal medicine or just acupuncture). Here's a link to their website in case you can check it out quickly...or maybe show it to a friend that knows about TCM and see what they say:

do you mean 跌打?
but yes that is like massage for sports injuriesas well as herbology
but you make a point I as going to say
western medicine is for serious stuff but good tcm should prevent that from happening
it's a whole mindset and approach to life

the older members of my wife's family live it to such a t that the only thing I could compare it to would be like marrying into an orthodox Jewish family

the current gen and my gen seems to be much more lax imo

your singaporean no?

Yep, 铁打. Sort of like "hardcore" massage on the body part where you have injury. Best I can describe to Westerners. I'm sure you know this, from your posts over the years, you seems to know Asian culture pretty well.

And yes again, I'm Singaporean.

Likewise, here in Singapore, most younger generation prefer seeking doctors in clinic rather than TCM. I don't blame them though. I personally don't like being dependent on chemical for cure if there is an alternative way. NOT against western medical treatment in anyway.

Yep, 铁打. Sort of like "hardcore" massage on the body part where you have injury. Best I can describe to Westerners. I'm sure you know this, from your posts over the years, you seems to know Asian culture pretty well.

And yes again, I'm Singaporean.

Likewise, here in Singapore, most younger generation prefer seeking doctors in clinic rather than TCM. I don't blame them though. I personally don't like being dependent on chemical for cure if there is an alternative way. NOT against western medical treatment in anyway.

Would you say TCM is down right gradually going extinct or is it just a mild preference of the young generation for western medicine?

It sounds like what you are describing is closest to physiotherapy, which is very common in Western countries

Would you say TCM is down right gradually going extinct or is it just a mild preference of the young generation for western medicine?

I don't think TCM will ever go extinct.
At least in Singapore, people in their mid 20s and younger generally won't think of TCM when they seek medical help unless suggested by their parents or elderlies. Because we are heavily Western influenced culturely, and as mentioned Western medicine provide quick/immediate relief of pain. Few people want to feel better only after a few days/weeks/months. But I stand by that TCM treatment while take longer, can fix the root of our health issue thus preventing relapse.

It sounds like what you are describing is closest to physiotherapy, which is very common in Western countries

Mm.. sort of, but no really. Physiotherapy from my experience/understanding helps strengthen your weakness of other muscles surrounding the specific body part that are injured to improve support. It's usually relatively painless or at least tried to be kept at the minimum for minor injury.

铁打,is "hardcore" massage as mentioned. Max pain is usually involved. <lmao>

I'll just link a random video.

The first 60s, you can see the "master" diagnosing and explaining to the patient.
at 03:07 mark, you can see her pain is a little relief. at 04:00 mark, her pain is gone at least for now.

This is the first time I sees this video and actually giggled at the video myself, because of the Hmmp hmmp, the "master" makes when doing his treatment, it's not common for normal doctors to do that. But this is the shortest and most simple video I can share that demonstrate 铁打, it's to save us some time.

Not no, it's not miracle, we usually need to go for another 2 or 3 times before we recover.

This particular video make 铁打 looks like those fake kungfu master videos, I know. But it works. ^^

Artemisinin.

That's an extract from a Chinese herb that was identified by a modern scientist Tu Youyou, who vetted thousands of recipes while researching a treatment for Malaria. So I would say to the extent traditional Chinese herbs are useful in healthcare they would have been vetted by modern scientists. It would definitely be dumb to eschew modern healthcare that has been thoroughly researched for an unproven alternative just because some Chinese shamans from thousands of years ago recommended it. That goes for any culture.

Last edited:
The menthol balm stuff for aches an pains actually does work decent.

I really think it depends on what you are treating. I like Herbs and homepathic remedies. I have cured a fatty liver and fought Covid loss of smell with it. But I had to go Western medicine for an Auto Immune issue and blood pressure. I believe in the pwoer of tea and it's antioxidants 100% and experiment all the time and have had great success in my healthy results with my blood work and well being. My dick still works great so I havent tried those things. Accupuncture did nothing for me.

according to chinese traditional medicine, men should only bust a nut every 3 weeks or so

I really think it depends on what you are treating. I like Herbs and homepathic remedies. I have cured a fatty liver and fought Covid loss of smell with it. But I had to go Western medicine for an Auto Immune issue and blood pressure. I believe in the pwoer of tea and it's antioxidants 100% and experiment all the time and have had great success in my healthy results with my blood work and well being. My dick still works great so I havent tried those things. Accupuncture did nothing for me.

And how come you used herbs for the fatty liver and the loss of smell instead of western/regular medicine?

Back