What do you think of Travis Stevens? (USA JUDO)

You wanna know what also takes a lot of power and crap tons of drilling? Grappling. Fighting. In general.
You can fight at a high level in bjj without neither drilling or a lot of power.

So what are youre accomplishments?
I drill a lot and never won anything high level. I train with a guy who tapped Leandro Lo and won against multiple world champions and he drills very little and is not super powerfull.

I don’t know anything about USA judo but I love travis’ guard passing videos and jimmy pedros version of the under over.

I drill a lot and never won anything high level. I train with a guy who tapped Leandro Lo and won against multiple world champions and he drills very little and is not super powerfull.

So nothing.

You know someone who is an exception to the rule and instead of seeing him as he is (an outlier, an exception to the rule) you want to make him the norm. Hell john wetland was so hung over he didn't remember his own no hitter. Therefore if a pitcher wants to be great; he should be so hung over that he doesn't remember the game.

So nothing.

You know someone who is an exception to the rule and instead of seeing him as he is (an outlier, an exception to the rule) you want to make him the norm. Hell john wetland was so hung over he didn't remember his own no hitter. Therefore if a pitcher wants to be great; he should be so hung over that he doesn't remember the game.
If there are a lot of exceptions its not a real rule. Talking with him a lot of the top guys dont drill that much and not all the high level guys are super powerfull.

It is hilarious the depths people will go to minimize the fact that the preponderance of evidence shows that a higher percentage of people have success by drilling and strength training. Or the way they minimize how inconsistent the people that don’t drill are

Either they're lying to him, or he's lying to you (or both).
Why would he lie to me? Its in his interest that I drill as it makes me a tougher training partner for him and I can prepare new ways to try to beat his moves.

If there are a lot of exceptions its not a real rule. Talking with him a lot of the top guys dont drill that much and not all the high level guys are super powerfull.
Ahh so because your buddy with a couple of wins said so and because YOU haven’t accomplished anything you don’t think drilling is the valuable tool it is.. gotcha

what sort of drilling are we talking about? does a high-level brown/black need to rep out armbar from mount? probably not. do they still need to work on progressions out of positional situations? everybody has a game plan.

plus, you know, AHKCHUALLY, they'll be drilling during the calisthenics during warmups.

as far as Judo is concerned there's nobody that doesn't drill. once you're elite you're going to be repping more combos and angles with movement vs just static uchikomi, but you're still spending at least 1/3 of your practice time drilling something.

Ahh so because your buddy with a couple of wins said so and because YOU haven’t accomplished anything you don’t think drilling is the valuable tool it is.. gotcha
I dont think its necessary if you can be a top level guy without it.
He beat at least 5 world champions in competition without drilling much (mostly a few reps when teaching class). I drill a lot when I can and beat zero world champions and the my result was silver at brown belt at the polish nationals.

I dont think its necessary if you can be a top level guy without it.
He beat at least 5 world champions in competition without drilling much (mostly a few reps when teaching class). I drill a lot when I can and beat zero world champions and the my result was silver at brown belt at the polish nationals.
Has he put it together at an actual legit tournament?
As in stringing together multiple high level wins together.. at that level there are plenty of talented dudes who can pull off a win in some regional tournament. But almost never actually put multiple high level wins together in one world class tournament.

Those kind of talents almost always either… lose the rematch at tournaments that matter.. or only pull off one win at nationals/worlds then lose next round.

You’ve been very careful to word it as him “beating 5 world champs” not anything about what world level tournament he’s won..

Additionally, you probably don’t get second at polish nationals if you don’t drill.
TLDR: your friend would be more consistent if he drilled and you’d not get 2nd if you didn’t

On top of all of that.. when you “drill” are you doing things like
- varying the partner resistance
- deliberately drilling tired and forcing yourself to execute properly when fatigued
- hard drilling right after going live
- drilling technique A, then partner goes live when you go to technique B.
- is your partner giving a proper feel and resistance that imitates what live feels like but still allows you to rep.
- when you chain drill are you going all out for technique A with partner giving proper resistance so that feel and know when to go to technique B properly.. or are you kinda doing A then just going to technique B

and honestly it sounds like your frustration at not “beating world champs” and talking bout your talented buddy says more about your lack of understanding relative success rather than any real point about drilling

Drills a ton.

Silver at nationals.

Man, drilling isn't helping me.

Wut?

Feel free to diversify your training regimen as you see fit, but I wouldn't come to the conclusion in the third line.

As in stringing together multiple high level wins together.. at that level there are plenty of talented dudes who can pull off a win in some regional tournament. But almost never actually put multiple high level wins together in one world class tournament.

Those kind of talents almost always either… lose the rematch at tournaments that matter.. or only pull off one win at nationals/worlds then lose next round.

You’ve been very careful to word it as him “beating 5 world champs” not anything about what world level tournament he’s won..

Additionally, you probably don’t get second at polish nationals if you don’t drill.
TLDR: your friend would be more consistent if he drilled and you’d not get 2nd if you didn’t

- deliberately drilling tired and forcing yourself to execute properly when fatigued
- is your partner giving a proper feel and resistance that imitates what live feels like but still allows you to rep.
- when you chain drill are you going all out for technique A with partner giving proper resistance so that feel and know when to go to technique B properly.. or are you kinda doing A then just going to technique B

and honestly it sounds like your frustration at not “beating world champs” and talking bout your talented buddy says more about your lack of understanding relative success rather than any real point about drilling

He won nogi worlds, uae world pro and acb worlds. Took silver at pan ams and europeans.
Drilling allows me to pick up new skills. I see the value of it but dont think its mandatory. In wrestling you need super smooth explosive execution of moves in bjj stuff can happen at a slower pace and you can be more sloppy if you have the feel to improvise and trouble shoot.

He won nogi worlds, uae world pro and acb worlds. Took silver at pan ams and europeans.
Drilling allows me to pick up new skills. I see the value of it but dont think its mandatory. In wrestling you need super smooth explosive execution of moves in bjj stuff can happen at a slower pace and you can be more sloppy if you have the feel to improvise and trouble shoot.
Bjj is also years behind wrestling and judo on methodologies to produce effective competitors. The best bjj teams drill. The best guys in bjj execute and change speeds when hitting techniques.

I'm of the firm belief that if Judo was available alongside wrestling in the public school system it would have been popular in the United States especially as it has proven time and time again to draw more female competitors then either wrestling or any other combat sport in Scholastic history

Here in Hawaii, judo is a high school sport, in the season following immediately afterwards

Tapped Leandro Lo, defeated multiple world champions, drills very little, and isn't super powerful...Are you talking about Kron Gracie?

Here in Hawaii, judo is a high school sport, in the season following immediately afterwards

Tapped Leandro Lo, defeated multiple world champions, drills very little, and isn't super powerful...Are you talking about Kron Gracie?

Adam Wardzinski I guess

Wait....who doesn't drill? Drilling as in doing 10 times the same move on a partner?

Even if this mysterious friend *coughWardzinskicough* doesn't drill (which I suspect he does by common definitions and we're just playing a stupid semantic game), that still doesn't mean much. One guy's experience is just an anecdote.

Back