Opinion What does "Make America Great Again" mean to you? And how do you see it being great again?

I

Don't have a specific answer to that but I do believe it's possible to achieve. If ones doesn't you might as well hand over all power to the mega corps.

They wouldn't bring overseas job back without political power being handed over. The only thing that ramps up domestic production in a capitalist system like this is innovation, and for YEARS our industries stagnated. What you have going on right now is a battle between industries disguised as a social issue. The people bankrolling politicans who are climate deniers are almost largely established industry magnates who see the writing on the wall, sooner or later things will change and their industries may go obsolete. The people bankrolling clean energy are promising jobs and economic security to the working class, without exactly going all-in on making the transfer smooth. And what we have is a polarized political landscape where politicians stoke our arguments on this level on behalf of their interests, while we approach crop failure, increases in cataclysmic natural disaster potential to the degree that insurance companies don't want to exist in certain areas anymore, increased climate migration (which stirs up the border issue), while we dont have sufficient means of moving away from sh*t that makes all that worse.

I don’t even want to bring production home. I want it to be brought to Mexico. We need a far better partnership with Mexico.
I Don't have a specific answer to that but I do believe it's possible to achieve. If ones doesn't you might as well hand over all power to the mega corps.

Don't give up so easily.

The mission of the Reshoring Initiative is to bring good, well-paying manufacturing jobs back to the United States by assisting companies to more accurately assess their total cost of offshoring, and shift collective thinking from offshoring is cheaper to local reduces the total cost of ownership. We are a non-profit organization and offer a number of free tools to advance our mission.

Harry Moser deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I've cross compared their figures with FRED data, and it lines up. We have more manufacturing jobs in the USA right now than at any point since the GFC. A lot of the losses since 1970s-level manufacturing employment is down to tech advances and increased efficiency as much as it is jobs moving overseas to exploit cheap labor. We've lost a tremendous amount of our consumer goods manufacturing, but remain a powerhouse in the production of capital goods -- which are also far more important in terms of national security.

Well the answer is obvious. Disempower unions and make Americans wage-slaves again. Southern States are already doing this with unconstitutional anti-Union laws, and nearly zero corporate taxation, because the corporatists pushing for this sh*t believe the SCOTUS will uphold them.
Bring manufacturing back home by making American workers compete symmetrically with Chinese sweatshop workers. Brilliant!!! 🧐

Curious - how do you possibly hope to achieve #1? These mega corporations are just going to agree to dramatically increase their costs and spend billions more on American labor?
Bruh, it's in progress:

fredgraph.png

IIJA, IRA, and CHIPS Act.

Bruh, it's in progress:

fredgraph.png

IIJA, IRA, and CHIPS Act.

There is actually going to be a severe manufacturing workforce shortage circa 2030, with as many as 2 million factory jobs going unfilled at present projections. The overt and extreme negativity on this place in regards to - well basically everything - is fucking comical. Holy Shit.

There is actually going to be a severe manufacturing workforce shortage circa 2030, with as many as 2 million factory jobs going unfilled at present projections. The overt and extreme negativity on this place in regards to - well basically everything - is fucking comical. Holy Shit.
One thing that unites extremists on both sides is the incredibly obviously wrong belief that things keep getting worse. I think it's because unhappy people are drawn to both extremism and pessimism.

Don't give up so easily.

The mission of the Reshoring Initiative is to bring good, well-paying manufacturing jobs back to the United States by assisting companies to more accurately assess their total cost of offshoring, and shift collective thinking from offshoring is cheaper to local reduces the total cost of ownership. We are a non-profit organization and offer a number of free tools to advance our mission.

Harry Moser deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I've cross compared their figures with FRED data, and it lines up. We have more manufacturing jobs in the USA right now than at any point since the GFC. A lot of the losses since 1970s-level manufacturing employment is down to tech advances and increased efficiency as much as it is jobs moving overseas to exploit cheap labor. We've lost a tremendous amount of our consumer goods manufacturing, but remain a powerhouse in the production of capital goods -- which are also far more important in terms of national security.

I just don’t think the future of American prosperity lies in manufacturing. With AI and automation about to wreck everything as we know it, it’s less important to bring Chinese based jobs here to America than it is to plan for UBI or the next unforeseen economic push.

I used to be ardently against UBI, but the more I learn about AI and automation, the more I feel like it’s unavoidable.

I’d rather bring those jobs to an ally within our own continent than an adversary that is way further down the supply chain. We need to bleed China dry but prop up Mexico in its absence.

I don’t know what the economy of 2040 will look like. I do know it will look unrecognizable to today.

I just don’t think the future of American prosperity lies in manufacturing. With AI and automation about to wreck everything as we know it, it’s less important to bring Chinese based jobs here to America than it is to plan for UBI or the next unforeseen economic push.

I used to be ardently against UBI, but the more I learn about AI and automation, the more I feel like it’s unavoidable.

I’d rather bring those jobs to an ally within our own continent than an adversary that is way further down the supply chain. We need to bleed China dry but prop up Mexico in its absence.

I don’t know what the economy of 2040 will look like. I do know it will look unrecognizable to today.
The AI stuff here is silly, but "friend-shoring" is the right move. Not just Mexico. We need to think a bit strategically given the kind of new Cold War.

The AI stuff here is silly, but "friend-shoring" is the right move. Not just Mexico. We need to think a bit strategically given the kind of new Cold War.

I've been saying lately that there needs to be a trade alliance on this side of the Atlantic. It could be hugely prosperous. But that's going to require an ease off fje culture War bullsh*t.

Key Takeaways

* The U.S. manufacturing industry could see a net need for as many as 3.8 million jobs between 2024 and 2033 as significant investment continues to drive growth.

* Without significant changes, more than 5 in 10 or 1.9 million of these jobs could go unfilled if workforce challenges are not addressed through 2033.

* Sixty-five percent of respondents said attracting and retaining talent is their primary business challenge.

* Investments in skills and strategies that address the workforce’s evolving expectations, including flexibility and technology, could be pivotal to how manufacturers position themselves for success.

Why This Matters

The U.S. manufacturing industry has emerged from the pandemic on a strong growth trajectory and continued growth is expected over the next 10 years as companies work to meet evolving customer demands, de-risk their supply chains, and leverage government incentives and policies. Despite substantial growth in the sector, U.S. manufacturing faces a skills gap and tight labor market.

Deloitte and The Manufacturing Institute’s new report, “Taking Charge: Manufacturers Support Growth with Active Workforce Strategies” examines the workforce challenges that manufacturers are facing as well as the investment and skills likely required to drive continued growth across the industry. Amid talent constraints, manufacturing job opportunity swells. According to the study, workforce challenges are among the top concerns for U.S. manufacturers, and have been since Q4 2017, except during the pandemic.

* Deloitte projects that as many as 3.8 million additional employees could be needed in manufacturing between 2024 and 2033.

* Filling open positions — and keeping them filled — is a top concern for many manufacturers: 65% of respondents in the National Association of Manufacturers’ 2024 Q1 outlook pointed to attracting and retaining talent as their primary business challenge.

* As the need for higher-level skills grows, Deloitte predicts that as many as 5 in 10 of the skilled open positions, 1.9 million jobs could remain unfilled if manufacturers are not able to address the skills and applicant gaps.

Last edited:
The AI stuff here is silly
Silly how. In what way? Automation progression will continue at an accelerated pace over the next decade. You don’t see bots taking a portion of the workforce? You don’t see self driving vehicles happening in the next decade?

White and blue collar jobs are already being displaced and will continue to be so at a faster rate year over year.
I've been saying lately that there needs to be a trade alliance on this side of the Atlantic. It could be hugely prosperous. But that's going to require an ease off fje culture War bullsh*t.

Fje?

We need a few things with Mexico. We need them to be a buffer country for these migrants and the drugs have to stop. Once that happens, a new North American prosperity will emerge.

It’s not just Mexico, but they are and have to be our first priority.

Silly how. In what way? Automation progression will continue at an accelerated pace over the next decade. You don’t see bots taking a portion of the workforce? You don’t see self driving vehicles happening in the next decade?
Correct. Bots will definitely not take a huge portion of the workforce. Self-driving vehicles have been promised forever. Probably achievable at some point, but it's not something that's going to cause unemployment.
White and blue collar jobs are already being displaced and will continue to be so at a faster rate year over year.
Bruh, I know you have to be down on the economy to be in good standing with your party, but we have sub-4% unemployment. We have a shortage of workers rather than jobs. The theory that this time it will be different and new tech will actually reduce employment rather than shift it, raise wages, and raise employment levels is baseless.

One thing that unites extremists on both sides is the incredibly obviously wrong belief that things keep getting worse. I think it's because unhappy people are drawn to both extremism and pessimism.
Economically, things have objectively gotten worse. I'm not going to waste any more time on substantiating that claim with empirical evidence that you're going to ignore. Purchasing power. Cost of living. The relative expense of Healthcare, childcare and housing affordability.

Go read more Steven pinker and inundate yourself with more comfortable liberal lies.

Economically, things have objectively gotten worse. I'm not going to waste any more time on substantiating that claim with empirical evidence that you're going to ignore. Purchasing power. Cost of living. The relative expense of Healthcare, childcare and housing affordability.

Go read more Steven pinker and inundate yourself with more comfortable liberal lies.
Things can get worse for some while getting better for the majority, don't you think? Not saying getting worse for some people is a good thing though, obviously.

Economically, things have objectively gotten worse.
That is an utterly insane claim.

I'm not going to waste any more time on substantiating that claim with empirical evidence that you're going to ignore.
You're not going to "waste time" because literally all empirical evidence points the other way. You can just look at a picture and see how crazy your claim is.

Purchasing power. Cost of living. The relative expense of Healthcare, childcare and housing affordability.
Yep, all of those things have been constantly improving (you obviously have to adjust for quality--like, since people are so much richer now, they choose to live in much bigger, nicer houses, with more room per person, better amenities, etc.; or how the type of healthcare available is so much better).

I can read any source at all. Anyone with the barest familiarity with history or economic stats knows this. It's not a remotely controversial issue. Your position is equivalent to flat Eartherism, Austrianism, or creationism.

What's the magical era when you think America was richer than it is now?

Things can get worse for some while getting better for the majority, don't you think? Not saying getting worse for some people is a good thing though, obviously.
They're not, though. I think the guy has confused dated articles talking about slower growth in living standards for the extremely wrong idea that they're actually going backwards.

I think we've seen the inverse of that. Things have gotten much much better for the upper class, and the number of people in the upper class has grown, while things have gotten worse for the majority. Again just pointing to the historical data on the relative costs of life's big ticket items - housing, Healthcare, education and childcare.

Back