What does the night sky look like where you live?

T-800
Yellow Card
Reaction score
I live inner city and have to drive like 2 hours to get away from city lights for the sky to be dark enough to see more stars.

Imagine being a caveman and looking up to see something like this:

DJ-19020-132.jpg

In the midst of several days of flash flooding rain, so last night the clouds were probably cloudy and low so the lights from the ground lit the sky almost like the sun just went down.

Depends in the night. I live well out in the country, on a clear night it looks like that pic. Last weekend was slightly brighter from the Northern Lights. This was at 11 pm DD71600E-A808-4CAF-9651-91CF25D9F934.jpeg

It used to be a lot better. I live in Vegas but my house it far to the west of The Strip and it faces east so my yard was somewhat guarded. It wasn't great but better than you would think until they installed these super bright LED street lights everywhere and now I can only make out the brightest of stars. We have a couple of pretty good places to camp that are about 2 hours away like the Mohave Preserve and Pahranagat (Alamo Nevada) where the sky is incredible.

It used to be a lot better. I live in Vegas but my house it far to the west of The Strip and it faces east so my yard was somewhat guarded. It wasn't great but better than you would think until they installed these super bright LED street lights everywhere and now I can only make out the brightest of stars. We have a couple of pretty good places to camp that are about 2 hours away like the Mohave Preserve and Pahranagat (Alamo Nevada) where the sky is incredible.
I hate those lights. Got a billboard here that's so bright it distracts you from driving.

I'm not sure. It is to buggy outside at night here in this part of Florida. When I moved here though I bought a telescope not thinking about the bugs. Haven't used it though due to the bugs. I can imagine the night sky here in well lit up with stars. In this city we are not supposed to have outside lights on as the lights confuse the turtles which nest at the beach close by.

Back