What Does The Result Mean for MMA and Boxing?

Lord Permaximum

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Scorecard: https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/ne...lts-highlights-money-wins-via-10th-round-tko/

j7evd4.png

Boxing didn't lose anything but I think MMA gained more respect after tonight.

I had the same scorecard. Most it seems only gave Conor 2 or 3 rounds though.

As for what it means in the MMA vs Boxing debate. Well, most people on either side were just straight up wrong about how the fight would go. No KO within 4 rounds for Conor obviously, but no complete and utter schooling by Mayweather either.

As a boxing fan, i completely despised the fight when it was made, and predicted that Conor would get picked apart from around the 3rd or 4th, before getting an absolute beatdown from the 5th or 6th onward until a 7th or 8th round mercy stoppage by the corner or ref.

Nothing but complete fucking respect for Conor, who did a hell of a lot better than i expected. But i hate to say it, but Mayweather was absolutely shockingly bad (compared to what i expected).
Yes he's 40, yes he's coming of a 2 year layoff, and yes he fought in a way that he's never fought before (or not for at least a decade), and against an awkward AF dude. But he really looked horrible, even taking those things into account. Even though i expected a lesser version of Mayweather than were used to, i still expected an absolute schooling..... and it wasn't really.

I guess everything depends on what your expectations were before the fight. So for me (as a hardcore boxing fan), i think Conor represented in a big way, while Floyd should hang his head in shame.

You know that's not the scorecard of the actual fight, right? Conor won 1 round on the judges' scorecards.

And I don't know what these outrageous comments about Floyd being shamed are all about. The guy is 40 and hasn't fought in two years. He hangs in his strip club all night prior to the fight, but comes in shape and fights and showed he was never in any danger. Everyone said Conor was 'unorthodox' so the obvious and logical gameplan is to feel Conor out, because it serves so many purposes: Firstly, Floyd gets the ring rust off. Secondly, he feels Conor's style out. Thirdly, he will push Conor out of gas. He executed this plan and he knocked his opponent out, and Floyd isn't exactly a knock out artist.

To me, Conor didn't embarass himself, and Floyd showed what he's made of, once again. Seems like the public had some crazy expectations and are reading what they want out of the results.

In the end it was a big spectacle, so not a whole lot. Although I do think that the way it played out was good for both MMA and boxing - boxing fans got to see that MMA fighters are legit fighters even when restricted to only punching, although obviously not as good as boxers; and MMA fans got to see the beauty and artistry of a high level boxer working his magic. I think both sports will see higher PPV buys from new fans crossing over both directions - good stuff.

MY big personal takeaway from this fight was how hard boxers hit. Man, they really sit down on those punches!

Means absolutely nothing. Hopefully we won't have to see anything like that again.

mma gained some respectability, boxing just heaved a sigh of relief.

You know that's not the scorecard of the actual fight, right? Conor won 1 round on the judges' scorecards.

And I don't know what these outrageous comments about Floyd being shamed are all about. The guy is 40 and hasn't fought in two years. He hangs in his strip club all night prior to the fight, but comes in shape and fights and showed he was never in any danger. Everyone said Conor was 'unorthodox' so the obvious and logical gameplan is to feel Conor out, because it serves so many purposes: Firstly, Floyd gets the ring rust off. Secondly, he feels Conor's style out. Thirdly, he will push Conor out of gas. He executed this plan and he knocked his opponent out, and Floyd isn't exactly a knock out artist.

To me, Conor didn't embarass himself, and Floyd showed what he's made of, once again. Seems like the public had some crazy expectations and are reading what they want out of the results.

Yes, i know that's not an official scorecard.

I disagree completely with the judges who only gave Conor 1 round. I thought that he won at the very least 2, and personally gave him 4 rounds, although no arguement if someone just gave him 2.

Me saying that Floyd should be ashamed may be a bit harsh, but it has everything to do with me expecting the fight to be one of the biggest mismatches in boxing history (as far as big fights go).

The guy known for the most power just had Floyd show no respect for his power. He also got knocked out by someone that is mocked as having pillow fists.

A rough night for MMA. People will chill out with the comparisons to boxers hopefully now. You have to wonder about the level of competition that Conor was knocking out if an older, smaller Floyd said he wouldn't have fought that way against someone with power. You also have to question how did Conor just get knocked out so easily by someone that decisions all his fights. MMA striking just got knocked down.

I doesn't mean anything.

McGregor would still be the favorite in an MMA fight.

Hell, I would give Mayweather zero chance in a kickboxing match.

It doesn't even tell us anything new about either fighter.

Mayweather may have lost a step, but it is hard to tell because he spent a lot of the time fucking around and looked dominant once he decided to kick things up a notch. Hard to favour him in a rematch against Canelo at this point, which I think Floyd does his utmost to avoid.

McGregor: Cardio is always going to be a problem for him. He was struggling after 5 rounds, and basically dead after 9. Jitters may have been a factor for sure (he was sweating really hard pre-fight). For whatever reason he blows his wad after about 12 to 15 minutes of activity.

McGregor can use his length well and punches well, but isn't a particularly hard hitter by boxing standards.

The only new thing I learned is that McGregor is surprisingly bad at generating power on the inside (normally he would throw an elbow in that scenario I guess?). Mayweather figured this out early on, which is why he stopped hanging out at range and started walking McGregor down. Without the distance to throw long punches, he didn't have enough pop to threaten Mayweather; Potentially very, very useful for Khabib to know.

Boxing looks a tad worse for letting a rookie win rounds against Floyd. Conor earned stars for what he accomplished. He puts it all out there.

More and more people know that MMA is where the real fighters go. Floyd with his back turning and ducking plus years of boring klitchkos are killing the sport. That's not even getting into all of the padded records, dozens of orgs with belts and handpicked opponents.

The guy known for the most power just had Floyd show no respect for his power. He also got knocked out by someone that is mocked as having pillow fists.

A rough night for MMA. People will chill out with the comparisons to boxers hopefully now. You have to wonder about the level of competition that Conor was knocking out if an older, smaller Floyd said he wouldn't have fought that way against someone with power. You also have to question how did Conor just get knocked out so easily by someone that decisions all his fights. MMA striking just got knocked down.

Eh. Honestly I think the larger gloves and the fatigue made a big difference for Conor's power. Mayweather played it safe earlier. There is also the fact that McGregor can't generate power on the inside (apparently).

Hard to say MMA striking got 'knocked down' in a fighting without elbows, knees or kicks.

I would agree that MMA 'punching' took a bit of a knock.

I had the same scorecard. Most it seems only gave Conor 2 or 3 rounds though.

As for what it means in the MMA vs Boxing debate. Well, most people on either side were just straight up wrong about how the fight would go. No KO within 4 rounds for Conor obviously, but no complete and utter schooling by Mayweather either.

As a boxing fan, i completely despised the fight when it was made, and predicted that Conor would get picked apart from around the 3rd or 4th, before getting an absolute beatdown from the 5th or 6th onward until a 7th or 8th round mercy stoppage by the corner or ref.

Nothing but complete fucking respect for Conor, who did a hell of a lot better than i expected. But i hate to say it, but Mayweather was absolutely shockingly bad (compared to what i expected).
Yes he's 40, yes he's coming of a 2 year layoff, and yes he fought in a way that he's never fought before (or not for at least a decade), and against an awkward AF dude. But he really looked horrible, even taking those things into account. Even though i expected a lesser version of Mayweather than were used to, i still expected an absolute schooling..... and it wasn't really.

I guess everything depends on what your expectations were before the fight. So for me (as a hardcore boxing fan), i think Conor represented in a big way, while Floyd should hang his head in shame.

Im more of a MMA fan so I kind of expected more from Connor. I understand he was going up against Floyd but I was hoping too see a bit more action. It seems boxing fans are showing more respect to Connor for surviving and landing a few shots. I thought Connor was over his gassing issues but apparently not I also I wonder if this whole fight was nothing more than farce...

I just dont know. Connor got his payday and I kinda hope the UFC never allow such a fiasco too happen again.

Eh. Honestly I think the larger gloves and the fatigue made a big difference for Conor's power. Mayweather played it safe earlier. There is also the fact that McGregor can't generate power on the inside (apparently).

Hard to say MMA striking got 'knocked down' in a fighting without elbows, knees or kicks.

I would agree that MMA 'punching' took a bit of a knock.
That's fair. I was thinking more of how casuals will perceive the result. I was watching something this past week and some people didn't even know that the fight was not MMA rules, and then some didn't even know there was a difference in rules. They just see it all as "fighting." Almost like they think UFC is just some other league from WBA, IBF, etc.

Doesn't really mean much for either sport in the grand scheme.

The money is in boxing, and apparently what look like hard shots in the cage aren't so hard in boxing.

He wasnt knocked out though. He gassed.

Back