What fight do you think was/is the pinnacle matchup of MMA at the time?

Fedor vs. CroCop and Jones vs. DC for me.

Usman vs Edwards 2 was a great match up. Usman reigning champ on a 15 fight win streak in the ufc versus Leon on 9 fight win streak with his lost loss being to Usman.

DC and Jones were the 2 best fighters ever to share a cage at the same time. Both guys were at the peak of their skills and physical capability. Just a perfect storm.

I'd add Hendo vs Anderson which at the time was not only UFC champ vs Pride champ, but probably the best and second best MW we'd ever seen at that point.

Volk vs Max - all 3 fights
Damn. Good picks. Hendo fight was so disappointing. Silva was so good.

Leban vs Silva to determine of those fighting in Japan could hang with the American hot shots

I think, maybe 2-3 years ago, Jones/Ngannou could have been the biggest MMA fight of all time. Dana screwed the pooch on that one.

I think, maybe 2-3 years ago, Jones/Ngannou could have been the biggest MMA fight of all time. Dana screwed the pooch on that one.

Talk about screwing the pooch. I know hating on Dana is often the coolest thing on this forum but you clearly failed to read the room and realize grownups were actually trying to discuss MMA.

Now back to the topic, if we are going to talk about the pinnacle of MMA matchups I think we have to go back to the very beginning with the Gracie vs Shamrock fights that defined MMA as a thing. While details have changed, those 3 fights to this day define everything MMA is about.

Jones vs. DC 1

Anderson v Chael 2
Demetrius Johnson v Joe Benavidez 2
Jose Aldo v Chad Mendes 2
Jose Aldo v Frankie Edgar 1

It wasn't long ago half the board was saying that Jon Jones vs Cyril Gane was the greatest fight on paper of all time....

Build Up: Khabib vs Conor
Stylistic Difference: Fedor vs Cro Cop
Skillwise: Jones vs DC
Most Prestigious: Anderson vs Hendo

Back