Multiplatform What game are/were you really good at?

Takes_Two_To_Tango

Formally known as MXZT
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Games I'm pretty good at. Just a few, at the top of my head.

Homeworld
Out of the Park Baseball
Left 4 Dead 2

When I was like 13-14 years old I was pretty good at Quake 2. Would usually come in the top 1-2 of any games of deathmatch I ever played. Arguably still am, as the remaster came out in August and 25 years later, playing on console to boot with a controller, I still regularly place in the top 1-2 of most matches of deathmatch.

When I was like 14-17 I was pretty good at like OG Counter Strike. Was playing starting with beta version 4 around October 1999 and kept playing till at least version 1.0 but I can’t remember with 100% certainty if I was playing still by the time 1.6 released (stopped playing sometime in 2002 I think). Either way, in those days I would also consistently be in the top 1-2 on my team for any matches I played.

I'm pretty good at most 2D platformers, no matter how crazy they get.

I was pretty high up on the leader boards of "Skate 2" when it was hot.

I'm good, but not great at "Fight Night: Champion". I'm missing that extra gear, where you figure out how the footwork really works, and you can just tool everyone with straights and jabs.

I'm pretty damn good at "Twin Stick Shooters", thanks to hundreds and hundreds of hours spent in "Geometry Wars 2". Those games are just pure muscle memory from that game.

I discovered an essentially unstoppable play with Stanford in Bill Walsh College Football back in the Genesis days. I was unbeatable.

We're all pros at single player games, right?

Only game I ever really got into was CS. I remember being on a massive pug team during the UGL days filled with really good players, cal-I equivalent. Basically it was a roster of about 50 people and anyone who was around would join for whatever ladder/match was around.

Fucked around in cal and got to invite prior to 1.6.

Street fighter, I'd say if I play against a legit pro in an even match up, a first to 10 set I would lose maybe 10-4. And the shorter the set the more chance I have at winning.

World of Warcraft, as a healer. I played the Beta, ran Vanilla as a paladin, BC and Wrath as a shaman, Cata as a priest. I was the best healer the guild had, by far. Arguably one of the best on the server. Guild leader one day had a tantrum that I didnt have a BIS setup, as I was missing a chest piece that I had never once seen drop when I was there. After a 20 minute argument, I nuked all my toons and walked away, to never return. I had, very likely, over 10k hours in at that point.

Battlefield 3.

I was pretty dam good got some nemesis streaks multiple times on top level youtube guys.

World of Warcraft, as a healer. I played the Beta, ran Vanilla as a paladin, BC and Wrath as a shaman, Cata as a priest. I was the best healer the guild had, by far. Arguably one of the best on the server. Guild leader one day had a tantrum that I didnt have a BIS setup, as I was missing a chest piece that I had never once seen drop when I was there. After a 20 minute argument, I nuked all my toons and walked away, to never return. I had, very likely, over 10k hours in at that point.

You were getting grief about not having some gear you’d never come across? Why didn’t he offer to help you get it? I’m confused.

I thought I was decent at fighting games, but I've recently started playing on Fightcade and I've been getting absolutely styled on.

Quake 1 back in the day. I would always get accused of being a bot. Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct in the arcades. I was the guy that was always on it and people were lined up to play me. I was never cocky though. I was just good. It was weird seeing grown men throw tempertantrums when I'd beat them.

Nowadays, I consider myself pretty good at most games but probably best at old school platformers. Strangely, I don't like fighting games anymore and they don't do much for me. I think the allure of those was playing in the arcade against people side by side.

I was really good at 2D platformers back in the day, these days I dont have the time/patience, at least for the hard ones. I recently tried to play through Megaman X3 and couldnt do it.

Bushido Blade

My opponents had to seppuku irl

Ghosts 'N Goblins, any Zelda game.

I seem to do really well with platformers, I hadn't played Mega Man in ages and picked up the 9 and 10 and just walked through them.

When it comes to console FPS's I absolutely suck. I am awful using a controller for FPS games.

Apparently I have gotten really good at Call of Duty. I used to suck back in the days of Black Ops 2, 3, 4.. but now I am always at the top of leaderboards...

Soulcaliber on the Dreamcast. I lived with ten of my mates in a big doss house and I'd walk in from work and it'd be on already, wait my turn and then rule all night. At the same time by some miracle coincidence my local pub got a Soulcaliber machine, unbeaten by random plebs. Over the years I've met people who claimed to be good and when we had a game it was always total domination from me. Not played it for many years tho but I was legit gud at that game for a while. Nowadays I'm firmly average at any game I try, plowed hours into COD and I'm still shite :(

Back