What happened between UFC and Big John McCarthy?

The guy was there since day one idk how much pay the comission for refering but cant blame the man for finally taking a very small part of the cake.

There was a falling out with the UFC in the late 90's wasn't there? can't remember exactly what about but him being vocal about some in sport issue wasn't it?

Generally McCarthy has always been a bit too much his own man to get along with them IMHO.

i know i'm late to this, but i never picked up on why John McCarthy suddenly distanced himself from UFC and went to Bellator. i know he stopped reffing because of health reasons, and consequently i thought he was promoted to some sort of higher-up position in the UFC. and these days he seems low-key opposed to Dana White in interviews. anyone know the story?

edit:
i know refs work for commissions. but i remember him being put in some kind of higher-up position in UFC after he quit reffing. could be wrong though.
i guess the real point i wanna make is why and when did he turn hostile on Dana/UFC?

john retired from refing and was offered the bellator job. that the deal with john.

all those charity jobs dana was gone give out stopped when the sale happened. the reason forrest griffin kept his job cause he really put works in.

Nothing happened

Big John retired from officiating and took a job as a commentator for Bellator.

There was a time about 10 years ago that Big John didn’t work UFC events but it was mostly that Big John didn’t have a license in Nevada due to a feud with some commission guys.

I don't think it ever "turned hostile". I think he wanted an announcing gig, and the UFC already had about 3 too many. ;)

Gary "Mini Brock" Copeland better not answer any unexpected knocks on the door.

Fight-for-the-Troops-UFC-Fight-Night-REFEREES.jpg

He probably wanted to commentate, but Dana saw he had zero charisma and was just awful on the mic.. Coker was all over it

I believe he got a chance to make more money as commentator and stopped ref'ing to avoid any conflict of interest since he's working for Bellator.

Before that, I think he was outspoken and Kizer refused to renew his license so he ref'd outside of NV for non-UFC orgs.

I know at some point Petty Buffer stopped calling him "Big" John McCarthy.

I think it had something to do with him commentating for affliction? If my
Memory serves me correct.

Back