What is the appeal of O'Malley?

He comes off like someone who's trying way too hard to cultivate an image. It's almost as grating as when Jones was doing the Christian schoolboy routine early in his career.

I agree and that was a very solid comparison

Because it's really not that difficult for top UFC fighters to promote themselves. The bar is pretty low for guys willing to do more interviews, some social media posts, some fight breakdowns/podcasts.

Being a champ who wins most of his fights by KO certainly helps retain the eyes you get from the promotion efforts.

The appeal is that he's a talented fighter.

The real question is what is the UNappeal? How does he get under so many skins so easily?

I think I'm maybe not in the right age demographic to know, but people say O'Malley is a big star and has a big following on social media and among the youths, so I'm wondering, what is his appeal? Is it just the crazy outfits? He doesn't seem to have too much personality, mostly a quiet guy, so what is the basis of his appeal?
That it's cheaper to order a ppv if you watch it with your wife/gf and her bf.

He’s a great fighter with an exciting style.

Ironically, he would be more popular if he dropped the fake SoundCloud rapper persona and kept the nerdy look that he had on the DWCS.

He is not good at press conference. Not funny at all.

Super accurate puncher though.

Omalley is a straight up clown, period. That outfit he wore to the press made him look like a green version of Big Fucking Bird from sesame street. However he is a fun fighter to watch and I hope that is why he has fans, because his other qualities just are not there.

The most popular fighter in UFC history is a drug-addled clown who got famous by yelling unfunny or unintelligible nonsense, and we are surprised when someone else who looks like a drug-addled clown has gained a fraction of that popularity?

I like the way he fights. Not every day you see someone move the way he does. Passes that eye test, and is fun to watch. It’s just that simple for me.

Last edited:
It’s lame because the guy is actually a good fighter and doesn’t need the cringe.

He's not my cup of tea, but it's not hard to see what appeals to his fans.

He's a young champion with a fan-friendly style. His look may be douchey, but it stands out in a crowd. He's brash and confident to the point of arrogance. He steps up to big unadvisable challenges and comes out on top so far.

I don't think that's what makes him a star though. Every fighter's fans like them. I think it's that he drives both negative and positive engagement. The people that hate him won't shut the fuck up about him. They yap about him and bitch and complain and call him names and carry on any time he's near the spotlight. It facilitates a conversation and he's at the center of it.

It’s lame because the guy is actually a good fighter and doesn’t need the cringe.
That's true but I wonder how much money he's making outside of the UFC on social media from casuals. It might be very lucrative even if it doesn't translate to UFC buys.

I think I'm maybe not in the right age demographic to know, but people say O'Malley is a big star and has a big following on social media and among the youths, so I'm wondering, what is his appeal? Is it just the crazy outfits? He doesn't seem to have too much personality, mostly a quiet guy, so what is the basis of his appeal?
he looks funny...but he's also down to earth and humble outside of the ufc-related media.

Last edited:
That's true but I wonder how much money he's making outside of the UFC on social media from casuals. It might be very lucrative even if it doesn't translate to UFC buys.
he's big into those "influencer" social circles like the nelk boys, schulz, and adin ross. I would be shocked if anybody over 21 knows who those characters are beyond schulz.

His appeal is that he doesn't care about the opinion of MMA fans, he could adjust to them, dress and behave the way they want and be much more popular. But he just doesn't give a fuck about that, it's like he's intentionally trolling you grumpy old men to alienate them as much as possible.

I don’t care for his personality/antics/ whatever, but I do look forward to his fights. Good striker, crafty, gives the aura he can finish a fight at any time

His appeal is that he doesn't care about the opinion of MMA fans, he could adjust to them, dress and behave the way they want and be much more popular. But he just doesn't give a fuck about that, it's like he's intentionally trolling you grumpy old men to alienate them as much as possible.
the guy is just weird but authentic, i don't think he's trolling with getting all them tats and airfrying his hair thats just how he wants to express himself...he's not the careless badass that you want him to be.

Back