what is the reason to throw a kick with your shin?

mmasask

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
was wondering why fighters make contact with their shin when throwing leg kicks? are they just in too close when they kick or is there a reasoning behind it?

its the strongest part of the leg (in terms of being able to give and receive impact)

It's never been a safe or mehanically sound way to kick to that area.
Most of the time you get away with it but that risk is always there if they block around the knee.

Weidman was going for the soft part of the back and it would have been fine, except Hall bent his leg forward and Weidman connected his shin onto Hall's knee.(ouch)

As many have said, if Weidman was more side on, he wouldn't have broken his leg.

But then by going side on, your also exposing the strike you are about to do.

The defender always has the advantage to counter attack.

Last edited:
we've witnessed multiple people now breaking their shins inside the cage and i dont recall anyone ever breaking there actual foot throwing kicks minus a toe. i always thought it was a distance thing

was wondering why fighters make contact with their shin when throwing leg kicks? are they just in too close when they kick or is there a reasoning behind it?
Is your tibia bigger and thicker or are your metatarsals or phlanges bigger?

More dense, less likely to break than your foot.
its the strongest part of the leg (in terms of being able to give and receive impact)
<PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

You're trying to do as much damage as possible.

Problem is most guys throw them without any type of set up (punches, feints, hitting the body 2-3 kicks then going down). It didn't help it was the first strike chris threw and didn't attempt to set it up at all.

Is your tibia bigger and thicker or are your metatarsals or phlanges bigger?

thats would you think but we've witnessed multiple people now breaking their shins inside the cage and i dont recall anyone ever breaking there actual foot throwing kicks minus a toe. i always thought it was a distance thing

It seems like it's those lower leg kicks that are dangerous. I don't think I have ever seen anyone break or damage their leg kicking shin to quad.

TENSHIN_NASUKAWA_%27I_WANT_TO_KICK_FLOYD_MAYWEATHER%27_RIZIN_FF_14_00%2710.png

It's never been a safe or mehanically sound way to kick to that area.
Most of the time you get away with it but that risk is always there if they block around the knee.
If the leg is turned correctly, so that the impact is on the front of the shin, it is a very hard, strong, bone, and is very unlikely to break. If the impact comes from the inside of the shin, the bone in much thinner and weaker from that angle, that is what leads to the broken legs.

Bas did a good breakdown explaining it following Anderson’s broken leg back in the day
https://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/vide...son-silvas-leg-breaking-mistake-in-technique/

we've witnessed multiple people now breaking their shins inside the cage and i dont recall anyone ever breaking there actual foot throwing kicks minus a toe. i always thought it was a distance thing

There was a foot broken in the first fight of UFC 1. Been far more broken feet than broken shins.

If the leg is turned correctly, so that the impact is on the front of the shin, it is a very hard, strong, bone, and is very unlikely to break. If the impact comes from the inside of the shin, the bone in much thinner and weaker from that angle, that is what leads to the broken legs.

Bas did a good breakdown explaining it following Anderson’s broken leg back in the day
https://www.bjpenn.com/mmanews/vide...son-silvas-leg-breaking-mistake-in-technique/
This is provided still in the heat of the fight the defender doesn't adjust or the positioning is right, you can't always guarantee where it will land.
Hitting the dense area near the knee with even the other side of the shin is still not going to be good. It probably won't snap but damage enough to end the fight still possible.

Last edited:
You’ve definitely seen people break their foot, you just probably didn’t know. Small fractures are super common in the foot when kicking and you can continue fighting through the pain

Back