What is Whittaker's path to victory?

1) Survive the first round.
2) TDD+ jabs from the outside

That's a pretty rare thing. Fighters who really get rocked in round one tend to really sleepwalk the remaining four. Think Gaethje vs. Max after that kick that broke his nose at the end of R1. Or Renan Barao, rocked by TJ in R1 and sucked the remaining four. Or Izzy, rocked by Strickland, looked bad the rest of the way.

The only exception I can think of offhand is Frankie Edgar, almost KOed several times by Grey Maynard in round one, really did dominate the last four rounds overall, enough to get a draw after an opening 10-8 against him.

You know who Whittaker is right? He's had multiple instances of doing just that.

His low stance coupled with his solid footwork and jab heavy approach will tire Khamzat. Whittaker finishes him in the championship rounds.

get Chimaev to chase him like he did vs Brunson and Khamzat will walk onto a strike. even if he doesn't do significant damage, if he gets him to chase it'll help ensure that he'll stay in striking mode and help gas him.

He's gonna take the left hand path

Tbh at first I was gonna pick Khamzat, but I am starting to doubt his capacity to wrestle hard and efficient for 5 rounds. Even 3 rounds might be tricky, and Whittaker is so experienced and he's also at middleweight, so khamzat loses a size advantage

You know who Whittaker is right? He's had multiple instances of doing just that.
Lol ok, refresh my memory on Whittaker's comebacks.

Costa I guess got one punch in the first round, then Whittaker won the next 2 rounds, but I was thinking about 5-round fights where this happens.

He's had a few 5-round decisions, I remember him beating Till clearly but others have said the fight was close, which is silly, maybe he lost round one and got "rocked" in some way there? I don't remember.

Gastelum he just dominated as far as I remember

Both times against Yoel were close fights, close rounds, I don't recall him being rocked early nor dominating the rest of the way

He beat Vettori clearly, Cannonier clearly, neither was a comeback win. How far back are we going in his career?

Yall are stupid as fuck if you think Whittaker is getting subbed in the 1st round, let alone any other rounds.

Khamzat could barely take down a fairly low-level wrestler like Usman in his last fight. I don't see a pathway to victory here for Khamzat other than a fluke injure from Whittaker, looking at it objectively.
Usman low level wrestler.. how do people have opinions like this but also post on mma forums. What the fuck did I just read.

durrrrrrr herrrrrr are you serious or......did you get a lobotomy??? huuuuhuhhuhuhh deeeeerrrrrp
If you thought either of them looked bad in that fight you're a moron who has no idea what he's watching.

Whittaker is light-years ahead of him as a striker

If he can mitigate the threat of the takedown and get his striking going/find the range and keep Khamzat from getting a hold of him, it's light work

Easier said than done though, Khamzat gonna swarm and be fishing for a leg, an underhook, whatever he can get a hold of

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konster1
Back