What is your opinion on light and/or laser on your EDC pistol?

TheNinja

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
On one hand better to have it and not need it. But on the other hand. Any engagement with my every day carry is likely to be up close. I’m not going to need light or laser to search around.

Don’t need laser bc slows my target acquisitions IMO but a light. Maybe handy.

obviously on my home defense pistol a light is a 100% must. But I’m torn on every day carry.

I’m looking at smith and Wesson MP shield with tlr6 so very minimal weight.

Agree with everything you said TC.

Don't have a s&w shield but I have a tlc-6 on an sig 365 and I dig it. The light on it is good quality and the laser holds zero very well. Keep that in a finger safe next to my bed.

Agree with everything you said TC.

Don't have a s&w shield but I have a tlc-6 on an sig 365 and I dig it. The light on it is good quality and the laser holds zero very well. Keep that in a finger safe next to my bed.
Sig 365 is your EDC and you like the light/laser combo? Or just your home defense pistol?

My HD is a Glock 17 with TLR8a. It's big and heavy and my go to if shit hits the fan scenario. But not EDC. I love the Sig 365 as well.

Well the sig is one of my home defense items. It's the one I have by my bed due to it fitting nicely into a finger safe next to me.

My edc of choice is s&w bodyguard. It's very comfortable and sometimes I'll forgot it have it on. I can sprint with it, sit comfortably etc. hides very well.

I have one on a fold up AR
On one hand better to have it and not need it. But on the other hand. Any engagement with my every day carry is likely to be up close. I’m not going to need light or laser to search around.

obviously on my home defense pistol a light is a 100% must. But I’m torn on every day carry.

I have a laser on a carbine. It's faster than any redot sight up close.

If it was small enough to be outa the way and quick enough to manipulate in a pinch, I could see it being potentially good on a pistol. For up close.

It's basically a redot you don't have to find in the sight, cause it's already on the target when you look.

Under the right lighting it could have a bit of intimidation factor too.

That's all I got.

When I had a Shield maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I had a TLR-6 on it and I liked it. The added weight and size wasn’t really noticeable in the right kydex holster. I ended up trading the shield for a Glock 43 but kept the TLR-6 and liked it there too.
D20C5241-C880-40A9-B968-97D56A79CA0F.jpeg

I’ve found that a light adds significantly to the bulk for my carry gun. If I’m gonna be out at dark I’ll throw a slim flashlight on my offhand pocket.

We can’t have a laser on either our duty or off duty guns to prevent mix up from the taser

When I had a Shield maybe 7 or 8 years ago, I had a TLR-6 on it and I liked it. The added weight and size wasn’t really noticeable in the right kydex holster. I ended up trading the shield for a Glock 43 but kept the TLR-6 and liked it there too.
View attachment 955382

That's the exact setup I'm looking at.
I’ve found that a light adds significantly to the bulk for my carry gun. If I’m gonna be out at dark I’ll throw a slim flashlight on my offhand pocket.

We can’t have a laser on either our duty or off duty guns to prevent mix up from the taser

What size gun and light did you have? That TLR6 is small, but it would definitely change the shape of the holster potentially making the holster feel a bit bigger IWB. But still seems small enouhg not to notice it.

What size gun and light did you have? That TLR6 is small, but it would definitely change the shape of the holster potentially making the holster feel a bit bigger IWB. But still seems small enouhg not to notice it.

I carry an M&P 9c. So it would definitely add significant bulk to the IWB holster.

TLR6 in the right holster won’t make a noticible difference. I carried both the shield and the Glock 43 with and without and didn’t find it any bulkier, nor did it make it difficult or slower to draw.

73C6B783-CB34-457B-AA0D-F234B12BB838.jpeg
I would highly recommend TXC, Tier 1, or G-Code though, and not some other cheap garage-made kydex holster.

TLR6 in the right holster won’t make a noticible difference. I carried both the shield and the Glock 43 with and without and didn’t find it any bulkier, nor did it make it difficult or slower to draw.

View attachment 955751
I would highly recommend TXC, Tier 1, or G-Code though, and not some other cheap garage-made kydex holster.

I'll look into those brands. Ya, doesn't seem much bigger and I'm decent sized at 6'2" 185 pounds. I would rather have it I think.

Have you heard of Vedder holsters? They make one that I like that seems a good combo of price and performance. Full kydex. I see some with kydex front and leather against your skin (or synthic material) but I feel like it would stretch over time and wouldn't be as adjustable with the tension. I'd probably rather give up comfort for full kydex. Or wear a thin undershirt tucked in and then my regular clothes over.

I see some Safariland and Alien holsters as well and some crossbreed

I'll look into those brands. Ya, doesn't seem much bigger and I'm decent sized at 6'2" 185 pounds. I would rather have it I think.

Have you heard of Vedder holsters? They make one that I like that seems a good combo of price and performance. Full kydex. I see some with kydex front and leather against your skin (or synthic material) but I feel like it would stretch over time and wouldn't be as adjustable with the tension. I'd probably rather give up comfort for full kydex. Or wear a thin undershirt tucked in and then my regular clothes over.

I see some Safariland and Alien holsters as well and some crossbreed
I’ve owned Vedder and Crossbreed before. Vedder is what I would consider to be a “budget” holster. They’re a well enough made basic kydex holster, but aren’t going to conceal nearly as well in my experience. Hybrid holsters like crossbreed and alien gear are questionable as far as safety goes in my opinion, and are too cumbersome to be practical to carry daily.

I’m 6’3” 185 lbs btw so it sounds like we have similar frames.

Last edited:
I’ve owned Vedder and Crossbreed before. Vedder is what I would consider to be a “budget” holster. They’re a well enough made basic kydex holster, but aren’t going to conceal nearly as well in my experience. Hybrid holsters like crossbreed and alien gear are questionable as far as safety goes in my opinion, and are too cumbersome to be practical to carry daily.

I’m 6’3” 185 lbs btw so it sounds like we have similar frames.

Thanks! YA, the hybrid, I jsut don't trust without the click and constant tension. So right now I'm still working on my CCW so don't know what I"ll really like yet. Didn't want to break the bank as I'll be carrying only in private residences and stuff to get used to it.

I see some of those hybrids and am like "dang....how big of pants do you need to git that extra holster and how many layers to cover it. Some of them are just dang huge!

Which is the holster you have in the picture? I also don't like the ones with a huge emblem or 2A on the clip so when your shirt rides up or the clip shows it's so obvious. Just keep in simple black IMO.

Btw, love the +2 magplate. Some say it adds too much length and ruins the concealability, but the 2 extra shots might be worth it!

Which is the holster you have in the picture? I also don't like the ones with a huge emblem or 2A on the clip so when your shirt rides up or the clip shows it's so obvious. Just keep in simple black IMO.

Btw, love the +2 magplate. Some say it adds too much length and ruins the concealability, but the 2 extra shots might be worth it!
Holster is a TXC X1, of which I would highly recommend. I previously had a different more budget friendly kydex holster and the difference in concealment between the 2 was night and day. It took me a few years to figure out that your holster and belt make more of a difference in concealment than the actual gun does. I could more easily carry a Glock 19 in a proper holster than a P365 in a budget holster. Very very small differences in holster design and how your belt holds on to it make all the difference in the world.

Light: Excellent! You never know when evil will appear nocturnally, or inside a room with no windows.

Laser: Great option for people who don't know how to aim their iron sights like a man, & prefer to play videogames instead.

4MYbBo.gif

Light: Excellent! You never know when evil will appear nocturnally, or inside a room with no windows.

Laser: Great option for people who don't know how to aim their iron sights like a man, & prefer to play videogames instead.

4MYbBo.gif

I just got the laser on it b/c why not :). I don't even have the feature activated by default when you press the button b/c it just kind of messes with my normal target acquisition. I figure the laser might be good if I have to give a gun to a non-shooter. Just tell them to point the laser at the bad guy and pull the trigger :)

Trying to get the laser up on target is so much slower than iron sights. I have no experience with red dot but most people claim it drastically increases their accuracy. Though speed to target is debatable if they aren't good at finding the dot.

Back