What makes you bored the most ? A counter striker or lay and pray wrestler

killer spider

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
of course not every counter striker is boring
I'm talking about guys like Till or Rozenstruik because they will wait all the fight for the perfect punch
for me this the most frustrating style to watch because these guys doesn't mind losing by a decision instead of taking risks and try to finish the fight

Atleast guys like jon fitch or Corey Anderson for example always try to win
it is his opponent fault that the fight is boring because he can't stop his wrestling

what do you think ?

Last edited:
You need all the flavors and styles. It's what makes MMA special...

With that said, I usually root for grapplers, and would rather watch a guy try and fail instead of wait... wait... and maybe land something if the opponent gets bored and does something stupid.

Counter fighting has always been least exciting to me, in nearly all sports, but if somebody wants to tell me it's tactically the best style, I wouldn't argue.

I don't mind any aspect as long as it's fairly busy. Control is a thing and it's up to the opponent or ref to change it.

May not be pretty and sometimes I view it a tad roughly but all an all almost every fight has redeeming qualities.

I troll a lot about crotch sniffing & what not but magnet fights where guys just refuse to engage are far worse , at least with lay & pray at least something happened

Holy shit, both should get yelled at by the ref for crying out loud.

Khabibs reign did help improve the lay-n-pray style a bit, you see guys at least trying to be more active than a long time ago. As long as you are smashing or passing, you should be able to lay on the guy all round.

Two strikers staring at each other is ridiculous though, and can be far worse than grappling with stalling.

Last edited:
A Lay And Pray who tries to avoid the stand at all costs, usually the other guy cant do shit on the ground, so once the TD is in, the round is gone.

Wall and stall takes the cake. Can't even be bothered enough to get the takedown to lay and pray.

<{hughesimpress}>

CrtVKGFUMAACrXg.jpg:large

The lay and pray fighting is my least favorite. The fight this weekend between Holland vs. Brunson is a perfect example. Snoozefest:oops:

of course not every counter striker is boring
I'm talking about guys like Till or Rozenstruik because they will wait all the fight for the perfect punch
for me this the most frustrating style to watch because these guys doesn't mind losing by a decision instead of taking risks and try to finish the fight

Atleast guys like jon fitch or Corey Anderson for example always try to win
it is his opponent fault that the fight is boring because he can't stop his wrestling

what do you think ?
Its only boring when you have 2 counter strikers...if you have one, and the other is coming forward and aggressive, thats a fun fight to watch.

Lay & Pray is 2nd. Just as boring as M. Conejo Ruiz's strategy against Buys of pits and tits.
Most boring for me, though, is two prelim heavyweights who both gas out in the first minute.
The rest of the fight is stumbling around, gasping like fish out of water, and leaning on each other against the cage waiting for a paycheck.

Ngannou vs the Black Beast, Woodley vs Wonderboy 1 + 2, Brunson vs Holland. GSP vs Nick Diaz. GSP vs Condit. Anderson vs DC.

Basically I want to watch fighters who want to impose their will and finish their opponents. Anytime they do just enough to skate by on points, and are too afraid to risk engaging or searching to advance position for submission I get bored. Khabib in the middle of his career actually bored me, but once he started to implement ground and pound, and submissions I fell in love with his style.

Lay and pray is the worst, however now that i think about it the worst fight i have ever seen is a tie between uriah hall-john howard and gsp-sheilds. Both fights all combatants were terrified of pulling the trigger. So im changing my mind, its not lay and pray its tentative counter strikers like gsp.

anderson used to bore me to death. his fight with maia and leites was bad.

khabibs early fights were bad too. just hold position and be active enough to avoid standup.

he sort of won me over in the last couple years though, started taking some risks.

it is frustrating to fans when a guy uses wrestling to just control a striker on the ground to win on points.

and it is alive and well currently. so for me lay n pray is killing the ratings once again.

seems though any champion or fighter that wants to avoid all contact and wait for that big counter punch

is not fan friendly either. like when twood was champ, or anderson, liddell.

bottom line is you can't please everyone. and do what you have to for the win.

I troll a lot about crotch sniffing & what not but magnet fights where guys just refuse to engage are far worse , at least with lay & pray at least something happened
This. Nothing is worse than seeing two guys circle and feint nonstop.

Back