What People Need To Understand About Khamzat vs Burns

AmbassadorFright

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I see a lot of people feeling underwhelmed and disappointed by Khamzat's performance myself included admittedly, however we have to remember he wasn't even in the top 10 at the time of this fight and had never been past the 2nd round. Regardless of whatever way you see it, Chimaev was rushed into fighting a top contender, but it could have gone far worse. Also remember he was fasting for Ramadan and was likely not in the best shape he could have been. Looking back at it maybe he should have been given someone along the lines of Magny or Chiesa prior to this jump, but we have to remember it still worked out and he will only get better with this added experience and as time goes on. WW is full of older men, Usman and Covington will be 35 soon, Burns was 36, Leon the youngest of the contenders is 31. There was a time where Izzy had a slugfest with Kelvin Gastelum, Usman was taking Emil Meek and an ancient Maia to sloppy decisions and he now looks like a completely different fighter.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm really interested to see what Khamzat we are going to see in the next time. The current doesn't beat Colby and Usman, but I can see him improving and becoming a solid contender.

He fought well, it's just that from now on, expectations will be more realistic. There's a lot of things we didn't really know, and yesterday we saw. I don't know how much you've been reading Sherdog lately though, but people had to keep repeating he had no real experience against top fighters, because other people were VERY confident it was going to be another 1 minute demo !

If he hadn't been so much hyped, I'm sure everyone would be ecstatic about his performance, with good reason. He's young, with a bright future (I mean, he doesn't look interested in other things than fighting, so I think he's here to stay lol)

Now let's talk about the true FOTN, Garry/Weeks.:cool:

Yeah. I'm really interested to see what Khamzat we are going to see in the next time. The current doesn't beat Colby and Usman, but I can see him improving and becoming a solid contender.
he can beat colby, colby is more a myth than a great fighter. but unless marty regresses badly he has no hope

I see a lot of people feeling underwhelmed and disappointed by Khamzat's performance myself included admittedly, however we have to remember he wasn't even in the top 10 at the time of this fight and had never been past the 2nd round. Regardless of whatever way you see it, Chimaev was rushed into fighting a top contender, but it could have gone far worse. Also remember he was fasting for Ramadan and was likely not in the best shape he could have been. Looking back at it maybe he should have been given someone along the lines of Magny or Chiesa prior to this jump, but we have to remember it still worked out and he will only get better with this added experience and as time goes on. WW is full of older men, Usman and Covington will be 35 soon, Burns was 36, Leon the youngest of the contenders is 31. There was a time where Izzy had a slugfest with Kelvin Gastelum, Usman was taking Emil Meek and an ancient Maia to sloppy decisions and he now looks like a completely different fighter.
he talked himself into thet position. its no one else's fault. you could see at the presser he was shook to the core

I really am confused why this fight was made before the Magny fight. He won and showed heart but he has some experience related flaws in his game. He needs to work on striking defense and lose the taunting which got him caught with a right hand. Also his instinct is to wing punches when he gets tired which again, experience.

he can beat colby, colby is more a myth than a great fighter. but unless marty regresses badly he has no hope

Colby pushed Usman to the absolute limit, no matter how condescending you attempt to be. He’s an elite fighter and showed that against Usman.

I think Chimaev matches up better against Usman and Colby than he does Burns. I have no idea why anyone thought Chimaev would run through Burns. He’s an elite fighter that nearly put Usman away.

Yah, he is young and has more to learn.

This was his first big big fight against a top opponent. The guy was definitely nervous and pressured. He was not fighting his best fight in my opinion he'll just get better from here

Disappointed?

Wow - That was such a good scrap and we got the picture we needed. If you really think this diminishes Khamzat I don't know what to tell you.

I did think he would have an easier time and the first round was very challenging for Burns.

I still believe he beats Colby and less likely Usman. I'm pretty big on Usman tho and his development has been visual.

MMA fans bought into the hype and wanted it to be him just smashing his opponents all the time. Reality is MMA is a very tough sport and the top of the heap is at the top for a reason. The fact he even won against the no.2 guy as an unranked should speak volumes.

I still don’t understand how so many people on Sherdog latched on to Khazmat’s hype. Why? Desperate Khabib fans maybe? He’s good, sure, but people on here have been calling him the next Fedor need to chill.

Back