What really happened to Tony Ferguson?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one jumped off Ferg's war wagon. It just stopped moving.

I think that Tony really fell off after he broke his leg.

if you watched his fights closely, you may have observed that he no longer was able to tip kick or kick as hard after the leg break, he was no where near as effective with his scrambles, take Downs, lateral movement, and his ground game was really compromised because he was not able to effectively use his leg.
After the leg break, tony made a critical mistake of coming back too early and causing permanent damage to his knee. Tony is too tough for his own good and should have taken a year or more to properly rehab the knee, instead of going against medical advice and putting too much strain on his still heeling leg.
He kept winning for a while but was relying on pure toughness and hype. I believe over time, he lost his edge because he was no longer training as hard or as efficiently due to the compromised knee.

I believe The broken knee started the downfall.
So effectively what you're saying is, his decision to start wearing sunglasses indoors was his undoing.

He was on a big win streak. He was touted as the guy to beat Khabib. His mythical submissions off his back, his wild striking and imanari rolls.

So many people jumped off his war wagon. But the thing was there were sooo many of you hardcore mma fans that legit believed he could’ve beat khabib. Even khabib respected his skills. So what happened between the potential khabib fight to where we are now. Injuries? Age? Mental? Bad luck? Could this have happened to anyone?

I think it (the fall from grace) started when he injured himself tripping over a wire/cord.

Consequences (will never be the same) were never the same after that

That was the first thing

Second thing was the Gaethje-fight which changed something mentally

Even when he was on his winning streak, it's not like he was walking through opponents. They were close fights, often with Tony getting battered badly. So I would contend, he was never the mythical fighter people thought. Rather, he was on the right side of some close fights. Lately, he hasn't been.

He was on a big win streak. He was touted as the guy to beat Khabib. His mythical submissions off his back, his wild striking and imanari rolls.

So many people jumped off his war wagon. But the thing was there were sooo many of you hardcore mma fans that legit believed he could’ve beat khabib. Even khabib respected his skills. So what happened between the potential khabib fight to where we are now. Injuries? Age? Mental? Bad luck? Could this have happened to anyone?
Torn knee ligament, returning before fully healed, terrible deadlift form, mental breakdown, unusual fighters eventually get figured out, two weight cuts and a change of opponents for the gaethe fight, old age.

Still think he had a chance at Khabib depending on when they fought.

He fought Werdum. That took years off his life. The beat down was so bad ufc deleted most of the footage.

he also trains very in a very stupid and risky manner not prioritizing longevity at all

He got old and took a fight where he took career/life altering damage. It would happen to GSP and Khabib too if they fought long enough. It's just life.

His skill was overstated due to the length of his streak rather than the quality of his opposition.
He got old quickly.
He took a lot of beatings even in winning efforts.
Gaethje beat him so badly he basically went into shock.

1. Age/mileage
2. Mental health (bipolar, on/off medication)
3. Substance abuse, whenever that kicked in
4. Strength of schedule, which I guess would fall under mileage.

He and Khabib had a very similar opponent list during their runs, but Tony finished like 75% of them. Tony was firing on all cylinders.

You can tell the mileage caught up because he started getting injured.

There's a reason Khabib retired when he did. His promise to his mom, losing his dad, the weight cuts, the tragic downfall of Khabib was looming in the next couple of years (imo) from all of his Sambo mileage. Why hang around for that?

Ferguson kind of always survived on chin & heart, getting dropped and/or bloodied on every fight, it was a matter of time, and now its the classic MMA downfall, one killer after another for the most part.

Well his og BJJ coach was a flat earther for starters

<EdgyBrah>

Doesn't ko easily, so in sparring Tony would get lit up.
His whole style was obscure training ideas.
People would say "he is a worker" but also "his technique is bad".
He managed to out pace people because he was not "ko'd" easily.

Flip side of people like this ... they are walking CTE if they do not train properly.
Tony, did not train properly. He mixed up random ideas from random coaching.

Compound this with drugs and alcohol, and his mental illness bled out.
Most recently ... drunk driving to run from the police. Crashing and FLIPPING his truck.

The indoor shades, rambling nonsense, self absorbed story telling ego = bi-polar + schizophrenia.

The shades cover your eyes at all times. Something drug users often use, indoors.

A friend of mine is EXACTLY like Tony, and has never watched UFC.
Repeat... never watched UFC. Has zero interest. Did too much pharmaceutical style drugs the wrong way.
The nose. Then ... the meth. Switched out weed for smoking meth. Weed was not the gateway.
Now ... that normal guy unleashed a history of mental illness (later confirmed by the family).
He has audio hallucinations ... demons outside in the hall, outside the windows, and if it is bad...
what seems like rambling LYING ... becomes believing / seeing things in the room.
It is scary and uncomfortable ... but... so is HE. He is scared, paranoid, and alone. Sitting beside me.
A nuts person seems scary on the outside, and can be.
They can present anger out of fear or desperation,
which roots in them not understanding they are scared as well.
They can even HURT an innocent person or loved one.
Cause and effect are mixed up in their brain.
There is nothing to "fear" because a lie, or hallucination, isn't there.

(think of all the lies Trump has said since receiving his daddy's money,
all the lies Elon musk said since receiving his daddy's money,
and they BOTH LIVE OFF the mentally ill public to invest their LIVES into them.
Narcissism for profit, and they BOTH bought social media platforms to be "right" in an argument)

Tony went on to have his own family (loved ones) call police for his protection.
Tony claimed there was a CHIP in his leg (he broke, due to wearing shades) which was placed inside him by the UFC.
Potentially the biggest lawsuit in history (if there was an OUNCE of truth). Just. Like. Anti-Vax idiots.
Liars, are mentally ill.
When they claim it is TRUE ... we realize they are sick.
Unless ... it's a religion or politician. Suddenly then... it is "blasphemy" to question them.

Tony is extremely straight forward to understand ... if you have enough paid experiences with mentally ill people. His entire ramblings are mixes of a situation he is "re-telling".
He blamed the media when he flipped his truck ... drunk.

Anyone still wondering... answer this...

why does a professional fighter carry a knife to a press event?

History = Tony's vs Pressers... not a single presser EVER required a knife...

LET ALONE A PROFESSIONAL FIGHTER
WHO CONVENIENTLY SAYS HE DOESN'T LIKE TO HUNT.

Last edited:
Damage from tearing his knee and rehabbing it himself after the surgery rather than leaving it to the professionals, getting armbarred by Oliveira, getting heel hooked by Dariush, age-based athleticism loss, age-based reflex loss, and brain damage induced reflex loss

Last edited:
Antipsychotics. Most common side effects include movement disorders, stiffness, slowness, and decrease in coordination and depth perception.

I'm on Seroquel, an antipsychotic.

I can confirm I'm slower.

They gave it to me because I developed insomnia and it helps me sleep, but I wake up groggy and it takes a while to get going.

But we don't know if he's on anything lol.

Common misconception.

Tony was getting smacked around during the Cerrone, Pettis, and Lee fights before the Gaethje fight. He just happened to win all 3 and winning heals all wounds.

He was on the slide already, but it's not his fault, Father Time is undefeated.
I agree. But he was good before that, as he defeated RDA after he lost the bell. I don't know where the decline started, but the Lee and Cerrone fights did not age well. Even in the Gaethje fight he was able to knock him down in the 2 round. These last fights he just looks old and slow

The guy was always overrated and had a lot of horseshoes up his ass during his undefeated streak with wins against gatekeepers, has-bens and never-weres. He never had a chance vs. Khabib.

He got punched in the head one too many times, that’s what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back