What Really Is The Biggest Upset?

Do you know what an upset is? It's when someone is favored to win and they dont. That is what happened and nearly every MMA website/oddsmaker had Ronda to win and it wasn't even going to be close.

I guess the question for you is: how many mansions did you buy with your winnings since you seemed to have all this foresight and wherewithal to know that every oddsmaker in the world had it wrong?

Your argument seems to be "um did you see how easily Ronda was beat? She clearly shouldn't have been the favorite, that means the fight is not an upset " which is a level of stupidity not often seen on Sherdog.

You have no fucking clue what an "upset" is, do you?

Everyone, it's very simple, an upset is determined by the betting odds, nothing else. Therefore, whoever was the biggest betting underdog to win, is the biggest upset.

How is this even a discussion?

An upset occurs in a competition, frequently in electoral politics or sports, when the party popularly expected to win (the favorite), is defeated by an underdog whom the majority expects to lose, defying the conventional wisdom. The underdog then becomes a giant-killer.

This definition is not strictly for betting purposes only.

I'm sorry you all drank the koolaid. I'm sorry you both favored Ronda. I'm sorry you all believed the gospels of Rogan and White.

Do you know what oddsmakers look at? The amount of people who favor a fighter. Do you know what influences these people to pick a certain fighter? Hype. Do you know who is most easily influenced by hype? Casual MMA observers.

Do you know what's stupid? Buying into a hype, and not seeing Ronda vs Holly as a close fight.

GSP vs Serra is an upset. Because Serra had no chance in any area of the game, especially striking. No casual or hardcore observer would seriously favor Serra to win. Yet, Serra won it on the feet. The only people who bet on Serra are the same people who buy lottery tickets.

If we're talking strictly betting odds, it's totally an upset. If we're talking about conventional wisdom, it's only an upset unless you bought into the hype.

I'm sorry you bought into the hype and your most unique human being in the history of the earth was given an enormous slice of humble pie.

As far as a lot of people were concerned (a.k.a., people who didn't worship the ground Ronda walked on), if the fight stayed on the feet and if Holly could keep it on the feet, Holly would win. If Ronda got it down to the ground, Ronda would win. Doesn't sound like the makings of a huge upset to me.

I love the revisionist history. Two days ago Holm was +3000 and now people are saying she should have been the favorite. Come on guys. It was a HUGE upset. Enjoy it. Don't try to downplay Ronda anymore than what she did to herself in the fight. Just let it be. On paper Ronda was going to tool her, that's why Dana intended to make this fight before Holly said she was ready. After Holly's last fight she requested NOT to fight Ronda because she still needed to improve. I think if anything it is more of a case of a fighter fighting at the level of their competition. She knew this was THE most important fight of her career and pulled off the perfect gameplan. It doesn't mean Ronda is shit or sucks, that's just pure hyperbole.

Well put

658994.1118709763560.rocop.jpg

Do you know what an upset is? It's when someone is favored to win and they dont. That is what happened and nearly every MMA website/oddsmaker had Ronda to win and it wasn't even going to be close.

I guess the question for you is: how many mansions did you buy with your winnings since you seemed to have all this foresight and wherewithal to know that every oddsmaker in the world had it wrong? Your argument seems to be "um did you see how easily Ronda was beat? She clearly shouldn't have been the favorite, that means the fight is not an upset "

Yes

...which is a level of stupidity not often seen on Sherdog.

Ummmm... er... actually...

Fedor vs Werdum
Anderson vs The Chris
GSP vs Serra
Minotauro vs Fedor
Belfort vs Couture

Was Sakuraba vs Wand an upset at the time?

This definition is not strictly for betting purposes only.

I'm sorry you all drank the koolaid. I'm sorry you both favored Ronda. I'm sorry you all believed the gospels of Rogan and White.

Do you know what oddsmakers look at? The amount of people who favor a fighter. Do you know what influences these people to pick a certain fighter? Hype. Do you know who is most easily influenced by hype? Casual MMA observers.

Do you know what's stupid? Buying into a hype, and not seeing Ronda vs Holly as a close fight.

GSP vs Serra is an upset. Because Serra had no chance in any area of the game, especially striking. No casual or hardcore observer would seriously favor Serra to win. Yet, Serra won it on the feet. The only people who bet on Serra are the same people who buy lottery tickets.

If we're talking strictly betting odds, it's totally an upset. If we're talking about conventional wisdom, it's only an upset unless you bought into the hype.

I'm sorry you bought into the hype and your most unique human being in the history of the earth was given an enormous slice of humble pie.

As far as a lot of people were concerned (a.k.a., people who didn't worship the ground Ronda walked on), if the fight stayed on the feet and if Holly could keep it on the feet, Holly would win. If Ronda got it down to the ground, Ronda would win. Doesn't sound like the makings of a huge upset to me.
Ahh so you don't know what an upset is, thanks for the essay. Please write another regarding a topic you clearly don't know a fucking thing about lol who knew they had wifi signal on your yacht in the middle of the Caribbean?!

Ahh so you don't know what an upset is, thanks for the essay. Please write another regarding a topic you clearly don't know a fucking thing about lol who knew they had wifi signal on your yacht in the middle of the Caribbean?!

You are in full on, Edmond denial mode right now and it's hilarious.

Yeah, I'm enjoying my yacht in the middle of the Caribbean. How are you doing? Enjoying your subsidized housing and getting free wifi from the McDonalds next door? Ahhh just kidding. I'm sure you're a good guy, just a little ignorant and uneducated is all.

I remember watching that Shogun fight. Everyone felt sorry for Forrest and thought Shogun was going to destroy him. So yeah that was a big upset.

I was around for that one, everyone knew, not thought, knew that Forrest was going to get slaughtered even worse than he was in the rematch. There was just no possible way for Forrest to win, and yet somehow Forrest pulled it off.

Back