What should Tarantino's last movie be about?

In the past, he's mentioned his desire to do a period crime film (1930s era) and a proper horror film. I'd be happy with either. I don't care to see him do sci-fi and I'll lose my shit if he ends his career with another fucking Western. I think I'm leaning more toward a horror movie. He's danced around that genre - From Dusk Till Dawn has horror elements, though it's played more for camp action; Death Proof involves a killer, but it's again more campy action; The Hateful Eight is not even close to a horror movie yet his love of The Thing gave it a bit of that atmosphere; and Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood is about the Manson murders, but the only properly suspenseful sequence is the Spahn Ranch scene before Brad Pitt beats up the skinny dork - but he's never actually made a horror movie. I think that his control of pace and tension would yield something really fucking special that'd rival David Lynch's ability to crank up tension and make your skin crawl.

As long as it isn't Kill Bill volume 3, I'm happy. The ending of 2 was perfect, and I'm fine with some threads not being tied up.

In the past, he's mentioned his desire to do a period crime film (1930s era) and a proper horror film. I'd be happy with either. I don't care to see him do sci-fi and I'll lose my shit if he ends his career with another fucking Western. I think I'm leaning more toward a horror movie. He's danced around that genre - From Dusk Till Dawn has horror elements, though it's played more for camp action; Death Proof involves a killer, but it's again more campy action; The Hateful Eight is not even close to a horror movie yet his love of The Thing gave it a bit of that atmosphere; and Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood is about the Manson murders, but the only properly suspenseful sequence is the Spahn Ranch scene before Brad Pitt beats up the skinny dork - but he's never actually made a horror movie. I think that his control of pace and tension would yield something really fucking special that'd rival David Lynch's ability to crank up tension and make your skin crawl.

Here Tarantino addresses weather he will ever write a horror film:

(should be time stamped @ 28:50)

I think you and I have talked about this before. Again, unfortunate shit in Tarantino's head. If he doesn't think that he can make a good horror movie, then he won't try, which means this'll never happen. That's too bad, because I believe in him more than he evidently believes in himself. Just think about the savagery of the ear scene with Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs, the fucked up turn to Deliverance territory in Pulp Fiction, the incredibly tense moments in the opening and the pub scenes in Inglourious Basterds...he can fucking do it! It's just a slight turn of the dial and that type of stuff in a horror context could make for something really special.

In that clip, he mentioned The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and in Cinema Speculation he discusses Tobe Hooper's later film The Funhouse, plus he loves his De Palma. That type of more psychologically-inclined horror, with people doing fucked up shit based on twisted relationships...I mean, he could've made Stuntman Mike way scarier, a whole movie with demented rapists like Zed and Maynard would be creepy as fuck. He's so close already, I don't get his skepticism regarding his own inclinations/talent.

I think you and I have talked about this before. Again, unfortunate shit in Tarantino's head. If he doesn't think that he can make a good horror movie, then he won't try, which means this'll never happen. That's too bad, because I believe in him more than he evidently believes in himself. Just think about the savagery of the ear scene with Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs, the fucked up turn to Deliverance territory in Pulp Fiction, the incredibly tense moments in the opening and the pub scenes in Inglourious Basterds...he can fucking do it! It's just a slight turn of the dial and that type of stuff in a horror context could make for something really special.

In that clip, he mentioned The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and in Cinema Speculation he discusses Tobe Hooper's later film The Funhouse, plus he loves his De Palma. That type of more psychologically-inclined horror, with people doing fucked up shit based on twisted relationships...I mean, he could've made Stuntman Mike way scarier, a whole movie with demented rapists like Zed and Maynard would be creepy as fuck. He's so close already, I don't get his skepticism regarding his own inclinations/talent.

I agree, I think he would do well with horror. He was asked to write Halloween 6 at one point after Pulp Fiction but turned it down.

I agree, I think he would do well with horror. He was asked to write Halloween 6 at one point after Pulp Fiction but turned it down.

Same with sci-fi, if he's going to do one of these new genres, I'd want him to do his own thing, not enter a world that already exists, be it Halloween or Star Trek or whatever. His idea about adapting a horror novel would be cool if he doesn't think that he can whip up an original horror movie. I don't care to see a Tarantino Freddy or Jason or Leatherface, nor do I want to see a Tarantino Captain Kirk or Luke Skywalker or Mad Max, but I'd watch a Tarantino adaptation of something by Daphne du Maurier or Dean Koontz...

Interesting. Well I hope he DOESN'T make a horror film now. Because I'm not interested in seeing him adapt someone's novel.

It's why Jackie Brown is tied for my least favorite QT movie. It's missing something.

His writing is what I like most about his movies. If he's not willing to write it then I'd prefer he just do some other kind of movie that he's comfortable writing himself.

Same with sci-fi, if he's going to do one of these new genres, I'd want him to do his own thing, not enter a world that already exists, be it Halloween or Star Trek or whatever. His idea about adapting a horror novel would be cool if he doesn't think that he can whip up an original horror movie. I don't care to see a Tarantino Freddy or Jason or Leatherface, nor do I want to see a Tarantino Captain Kirk or Luke Skywalker or Mad Max, but I'd watch a Tarantino adaptation of something by Daphne du Maurier or Dean Koontz...

It could be cool, but I don't think an adaption is in the cards at this stage. He put a halt to the Star Trek stuff because he wanted his 10th movie to be an original. But who knows, he's been changing his mind lately.

Interesting. Well I hope he DOESN'T make a horror film now. Because I'm not interested in seeing him adapt someone's novel.

It's why Jackie Brown is tied for my least favorite QT movie. It's missing something.

His writing is what I like most about his movies. If he's not willing to write it then I'd prefer he just do some other kind of movie that he's comfortable writing himself.

Its interesting about Jackie Brown, a lot of filmmakers feel its his best work. Underrated with fans, but it is growing in popularity.

I think his 10th film will be an original. Though, I haven't the slightest idea what it will be. He can take a long time to write, perhaps even long than normal with this potentially being his precious last. And if he's still pondering an idea we might not see this movie for years.

Last edited:
I'd love to see him come back to his old film noir crime flicks. He does that well.

The whole film critic thing seemed really lame to me. Maybe he could have pulled it off, but it didn't seem like anything to get excited about.

I am a simple creature.
Give me something with blood, drugs, violence, a hot chick or two, and Samuel L Jackson saying motherfucker a lot and I'll be a happy guy
Another Elmore Leonard adaptation would be great

Wishful thinking, but KB3 was already set up to have the little black girl from the first flick come back for revenge(I believe he even said that was his intent), along with Elle Driver's fate being left to your imagination. I'd like to see that, but it'll probably be something completely out of left field, centered around some some gaffer in Dubai or some shit.

I'm not interested in seeing him adapt someone's novel [...] It's why Jackie Brown is tied for my least favorite QT movie. It's missing something.

I get where you're coming from, as I love Tarantino's writing, too, but that's what makes Jackie Brown so special: Even when Tarantino's doing "someone else's" writing, he makes it his. He changed so much, not least the main character, that it became a Quentin Tarantino Special, not a movie version of an Elmore Leonard novel. If you ask me, that film's missing nothing except the universal acclaim that it deserves.

Wishful thinking, but KB3 was already set up to have the little black girl from the first flick come back for revenge(I believe he even said that was his intent), along with Elle Driver's fate being left to your imagination.

When I heard the silly shit about The Movie Critic becoming a Cliff Booth sequel, I got super pissed because in my book, if he does a sequel to anything, it can ONLY be Kill Bill: Volume 3. I don't need that to happen, but it's the only acceptable sequel.

Him wanting to do a Star Trek movie sounded interesting to me. Another crime movie wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Another crime film may not be derivative enough for him. Though, he will likely be pressured into doing just that, as this is the safest financial risk.

I am not convinced that Tarantino is right for Star Trek.

But if he resurrected science fiction, that would be epic.

His movies have trended downward for me after Inglorious Basterds. I liked Djano, Hateful Eight was meh, and I didn't like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at all outside of a few scenes. The Critic sounded terrible, so I'm glad it was scrapped.

sci-fi crime with horror elements
and make it a mini series

or he should join cavill on the 40k train
now female custodes are canon, imagine those gene enhanced feet he could get lost in

He recently abandoned work on his film "the critic" so maybe he's looking for new ideas for his 10th and final film.

What would you like to see him do?

Another Western? Another crime movie? He's pretty good at those.

Or something different?

He's also good at taking old genres and paying homage to them while also bringing a fresh take on them, like kill Bill was to the samurai and Kung Fu movies from the 70's
His last movie should be called "The Case"

And it strings every movie he made together with it culminating to whats in the Briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

Either a Stalinist musical comedy, a sequel to Triumph of the Will or Kill Bill 3

There are some murmurings that Tarantino is writing a Cliff Booth prequel that will take place in the South Pacific about his time as a POW. Although I haven't heard what form the story will take.

Last edited:
Back