What would you do if airport security agents demanded your phone password?

gatchaman

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
From: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/quebec-man-charged-not-giving-013217433.html
Quebec resident Alain Philippon to fight charge for not giving up phone password at airport
... Alain Philippon, 38, of Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, Que., refused to divulge his cellphone password to Canada Border Services Agency during a customs search Monday night at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Philippon had arrived in Halifax on a flight from Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. He's been charged under section 153.1 (b) of the Customs Act for hindering or preventing border officers from performing their role under the act.

According to the CBSA, the minimum fine for the offence is $1,000, with a maximum fine of $25,000 and the possibility of a year in jail. ...

Plan A) Delete my browser history immediately.

Plan B) Eat the phone.

I don't have a password.

Canada Border Services Agency performing a customs search? I'd be prepared for it.

Flying out of one US city to another, and the TSA asks for the same? They can blow me.

I just travel with my reliable nokia 5110
It has never created any problems

5110-r.jpg

I America you cant be compelled to give a password without a warrant, so they can fuck off. If that means I cant fly, so be it. If they lock me up, cool. I just hit the civil suit jackpot.

In a foreign country, even Canada, I dont know the exact law, and will cough my shit up in a heartbeat. nothing incriminating on there, and I dont want to rot in some jail.

I America you cant be compelled to give a password without a warrant, so they can fuck off. If that means I cant fly, so be it. If they lock me up, cool. I just hit the civil suit jackpot.

In a foreign country, even Canada, I dont know the exact law, and will cough my shit up in a heartbeat. nothing incriminating on there, and I dont want to rot in some jail.

But it would be Canadian jail, so there would be a lot of donuts and apologizing.

This is my answer too.

I would not give it to them. I would offer to unlock it for them, then barring that they can eff off. I'm obliged only to comply with the search request ie hand over my phone... He's Canadian, and in Canada. Their scope of powers does not extend beyond a reasonable search.

I would say "Go fuck yourself", I am in no way obligated to assist you in your job, only to not obstruct you. You are free to inspect my phone all you want with whatever techniques you want, but I am not obligated or required to assist you in your search.

Not sure if airport border folks are different from the, like, on-the-border folks ... but, border patrol are fucking assholes.

Buddy of mine, a girl was traveling by bus from Canada to meet up with him. She got detained at the border so we had to drive to pick her up. At one point we're in the waiting area or whatever with her, and a border patrol agent walks out of the back with her diary, and starts reading from it out loud.

What on Earth could be on my phone that they would need to check?

I'm with 7437 re: American airports. Anything outside of the US is a crapshoot I guess. I read an article from an American raised girl of Persian descent who traveled to Israel on vacation (probably ill-advised). They ended up locking her up at Ben Gurion and forced her to divulge her e-mail passwords. Once they determined she wasn't a threat (after reading and mocking her e-conversations in front of her), they put her in a cell until they could fly her out to London.

edit: I think it was England. Might have been another country.

I would say "Go fuck yourself", I am in no way obligated to assist you in your job, only to not obstruct you. You are free to inspect my phone all you want with whatever techniques you want, but I am not obligated or required to assist you in your search.

the best thing to do would be to say it is ABCD and when that does not work say 'oh wait, I changed it recently...it is BCDE. Dammit, no CDEF. Arggg. I just cannot remember under the pressure you have put me under.

They won't believe you but they certainly cannot prove you did not forget.

What on Earth could be on my phone that they would need to check?

I'm with 7437 re: American airports. Anything outside of the US is a crapshoot I guess. I read an article from an American raised girl of Persian descent who traveled to Israel on vacation (probably ill-advised). They ended up locking her up at Ben Gurion and forced her to divulge her e-mail passwords. Once they determined she wasn't a threat (after reading and mocking her e-conversations in front of her), they put her in a cell until they could fly her out to London.

edit: I think it was England. Might have been another country.
Well this doesn't surprise me at all, considering Iran's president comments.

Not sure if airport border folks are different from the, like, on-the-border folks ... but, border patrol are fucking assholes.

Buddy of mine, a girl was traveling by bus from Canada to meet up with him. She got detained at the border so we had to drive to pick her up. At one point we're in the waiting area or whatever with her, and a border patrol agent walks out of the back with her diary, and starts reading from it out loud.

Last year I was leaving Las Vegas, and a TSA agent sent the family in front of me, myself, and a few other people down a separate roped-off path. We travel the path, and it leads us back to the original line, where a crap load of people have been let in front of us, and there's no clear way for the lines to merge.

So the (presumably) wife in front of me asks the guard what we're suppose to do, since we were sent down that path. His response was "no one told you to do that." Myself and a few other people chimed in and said "Yeah, you did" and she kept trying to talk to him to figure out what to do. He quietly listens to her and when she stops he says "you know what I just heard? Nothing at all." And walked away.

Sometimes I wonder if they only hire soulless people, or if it's something they take from you on orientation day. But I never want to throttle people more than when I'm going through security.

Another one, I was getting in the security line the other day and asked the TSA agent if there was a trash can near by because I had a water bottle in my backpack and didn't realize it. He said "yeah, on the other side." Meanwhile he is standing directly next to a trashcan, and when I turned around there was another one there. I feel like he wanted me to try to take it through such that it would cause a kerfuffle.

"Hope you like penis pics."

I'm going to get somebody to take a photograph of my anus mid-shit and make it my phone's screensaver. After that I will happily give my phone password to people at the airport. They may regret having asked for it in the first place, but hey that's not my problem, right?

Back