What's goin' down at Tocco's (video):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

Okay, sorry for the wait on this but here's the actual update. Its pretty clear at this point that Tocco's did not survive. It is currently closed to the public, open only for private rentals but it's less than half the gym. It's just the original one room you've seen in the old Tyson videos again, and its unclear what the owner will do with it eventually. My best guess is he will sell the land. It really sucks because we were doing so well just before COVID, all 3 of my classes were full. I was very very busy, which is why I wasnt posting here as much. COVID isnt what killed the gym though, we were able to fill it after. It was more like the landlord and the manager not being able to come to terms and thus, the landlord deciding no more gym.

I immediately got a few offers to go to different Gyms in Vegas. One was right up the street from Tocco's and the owner wanted me to run it, offered a key. But I didnt agree as he hadnt developed the gym fully yet, which gave me no environmental resources. If I was going to do that we could just do what we did during COVID and exercise outside. We dont need to pay someone for that. Then I got an offer from Canadian Pro Angelo Habib, who I've trained for years, to open a gym here. But in the meantime I took an offer at a gym called "Real Boxing." I told then up front that my partner and I were looking to open a gym here. Then in about April (while my wife was pregnant with our 3rd Son), God decided to punish me for my arrogance and our landlady called and told us she and her husband were going to sell our house. Weve been here since 2010. They offered to sell to us but the cost was insanely inflated and we didnt have much saved. We intended to buy a house when the little one was about 2, which would give us 2 years after the new gym was set to be launched.

The gym launch has been delayed until this year, and fortunately our landlady is being very flexible on when we have to make an offer or move. Kid was born in October, and being as we're trying to save every dollar possible I cut my classes at the gym so we can save on daycare cost, which is also absurd right now. Not to mention that Real Boxing brought in a guy who I only kind of know, and the situation of how the gym runs has become a little volatile. So being there only from 4pm - 8pm each day isn't the worst thing, and my kid has his Father around. However there is talk of Angelo and I partnering with Real Boxing themselves. Just last week Steve Boe of Boe Boxing offered me to possibly work there, and that's walking distance from the house. So right now I'm entertaining that idea.

Aside from that things are going decently. We paid off my wife's car and her largest credit card debt, I have been stashing away money, and Angelo said likely next month he will be ready to step on the gas with whatever we are going to do here. Either partner with Real, or open a branch of Olympus Boxing Club here. This is what their Calgary location looks like:

Last edited:
BTW I want to say thank you so much to everyone here who donated to the GoFundMe. It exceeded the asking amount and I didnt even push it very hard, personally, because I grew up with a very tough single Mother who always said "no one is going to save you, if you don't have something and can't pay for it, you just won't have it." I wasnt accustomed to asking for help, but help definitely came and for that I'm forever grateful.

Idk if you're looking to grab some of that YouTube money but if you are, you'll need at least a good camera, a mic and a video editor. Once there's enough market demand, I would also consider releasing paid courses, setting up a website to promote them and offering online privates.

Idk if you're looking to grab some of that YouTube money but if you are, you'll need at least a good camera, a mic and a video editor. Once there's enough market demand, I would also consider releasing paid courses, setting up a website to promote them and offering online privates.

I'm getting there. We set aside some money for a mic and a GoPro, I have a camera. Once I have a gym we're gonna hit YouTube hard. I have ideas, and being as I went to film school its using skills I paid for. Testing this out I've just been practicing with my Sons' channels and seeing how the algorithm works:

My younger Son is a huge car guy. Wants to be a race car driver and mechanic:

But he still boxes for fitness. I just uploaded a couple of videos for those channels today. It's just tough to do the things I want to in gyms where I dont control the space. With Tocco's it wouldnt have been an issue, and with Real Boxing it wasnt until this new guy got there.

If you pull the trigger and open a gym or if you maneuver yourself into a position that has your paycheck based on membership, lmk. I’ve got some good friends who mentor guys to help grow their gyms. My buddy out in Virginia is set to hit 100 members in 9 months of being open by following their advice. I took my program from 19 members to almost 80 in 6-8 months before the owners changed our deal and how I was payed.

If you pull the trigger and open a gym or if you maneuver yourself into a position that has your paycheck based on membership, lmk. I’ve got some good friends who mentor guys to help grow their gyms. My buddy out in Virginia is set to hit 100 members in 9 months of being open by following their advice. I took my program from 19 members to almost 80 in 6-8 months before the owners changed our deal and how I was payed.

I'm not so worried about that. I have the most students of anyone at Real Boxing and not even all my students are showing up. It's to the degree where the new operator has repeatedly complained about the rental agreement I have, which the owners gave me to help with the house situation. Before that I was paying them more than any other Coach as well. This new guy hates that deal, but that's because he's looking to recoup some of his cost by digging in my pockets.

What I want is a fully-funded program. And I finally have the right network to make it happen. I even have a team Doctor, we'll be probably the only team in Vegas that offers health care lol. I'm tired of nickel and diming every trip. When the owner of Tocco's was paying that was nice, but he got cheap after the 1st 2 years despite the results we got. And I want a gym that finally pays me to be there rather than me paying to be there. And that's how Angelo runs Olympus up in Canada. Only he knows how much more serious this will be. We have fighters waiting from Iceland, Norway, Chile, Canada, Italy, and a few other States. If we create the environment I want, we will be like Dadi's gym in Iceland, where they only even take students twice a year because they're always full.

If you want money, don't reject boxercise type clients and hobbyists.
It is $.
BYW not all from them are cocky nerds.

Some pro boxers are earning with this more than for ammy boxers training, begginers pros training etc...
Also not all from them are just some idiots.

I'm feeling I should retire this thread and begin anew with our goings-on in boxing.

What say you?
Since most of the videos in this thread are either deleted or private, I'd say just start a new one.

That was mostly YouTube. When they changed their algorithm they set every unlisted video to private automatically.

I should fix that even if I start a new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back