What's up with Aljos lack of popularity?

The dislike for him is a little odd to me. I can understand not being a fan (I was rather indifferent about him). I, however, have become a bit of a fan after seeing how much ridiculous, unwarranted hate the dude gets... now I just want him to keep winning

Reactions: Jeo
He has no charisma alongside his acting in the first Yan fight.(i'm a bit divided on that one...bit acting mixed with real pain i think since he had a neck surgery after all)

He's not a entertaining fighter for some fans( i for one think he has become way more all round since the second Yan fight)

...but I think it has to do with the no charisma the most.

DQ
SD
Injury
SD

This is his title run.
He has been pretty annoying throughout.

"I'm gonna come on that ass"

giphy.gif

I have my theories but I dont want to start a fight
Not everyone has the gift of gab, and he yammers on seemingly unaware that he does not. Very high fight IQ obviously, but as a public speaker not the sharpest tool in the shed. Still, there are other fighters who are in that realm, but much more likable.

Is introduction to main stream causal audiences were gifs of his acting skills after the Yan knee. That performance got mocked endlessly on instagram and twiiter ...followed immediately by pictures and vids of him partying later. That was his first impression to the vast majority of viewership. Hard to come back from that especially when you're not an exciting fighter

the fanboy kkklan literally tries their damndest to ruin people's careers for no good reason . It's a good thing to call it out

Not sure exactly what you mean by “ruin” careers but any PR is good PR.

I think Aljo haters are projecting on this thread. Every time he wins he's drawing more eyes and getting more respect. Watch how much hype there is for his next fight, and if he beats O'Malley I expect his next one to be even bigger.
I don't think NY/NJ has a big of an MMA fanbase as a percent of the population as does SoCal, TX or FL hence there's not as much of a hometown advantage to be had.

Why do grown adults pretend like they don't know why Aljo isn't popular? It's surprising, that it's a big shock to certain people.

It was the yan DQ fight then the second yan fight that he was cringe and unpopular for me. But he seems better now that it's all over. His style isn't the most liked but I enjoy the aspect of his fighting style and how it's so hard for people to beat.

The UFC audience is just not ready for the first LGTB champion. We have alot of progress to do as a society
If a fighter were to be "out" and choose to USE that as an element of mental warfare, it would be both effective and potentially hilarious.

Think about how many people have gotten triggered over Izzy dry humping Costa for 2 pumps and then imagine a fighter doing things like that while being full blown flamboyant and having the ability to utilize grappling skills in spandex.

-People's heads would explode.
- it would generate massive social media engagement
- it would SELL, and reach a new and likely relatively untouched demographic

Trash talk opportunities would be endless and being that the subject is a protected class by an army of cancel culture vultures, it would be difficult to rebut or counter.

"I'm gonna take you down an sniff your pheromones and whisper in your ear.

I might even accidently poke your eye and give you conjunctivitis."

He has comfortably beat the title challengers
giphy.gif

He "won" a fight against Yan with disgraceful acting. A fight he was on his way to losing.

He put on a boring fight with the rematch vs Yan in a split decision win. A fight many felt that Yan won.

He struggled to beat a one armed, injured Dillashaw. Not impressive.

He won a split decision against Cejudo where many felt that Cejudo won the fight.

I don't know where you think you can argue that he "comfortably" beat them, but then again you guys are biased as hell because people don't love him the way you do...

He's been the most uneventful, boring, backpacking champion in recent memory. If you're truly impressed by him, I feel bad for you for having never witnessed a truly great fighter showcasing his skills.

giphy.gif

He "won" a fight against Yan with disgraceful acting. A fight he was on his way to losing.

He put on a boring fight with the rematch vs Yan in a split decision win. A fight many felt that Yan won.

He struggled to beat a one armed, injured Dillashaw. Not impressive.

He won a split decision against Cejudo where many felt that Cejudo won the fight.

I don't know where you think you can argue that he "comfortably" beat them, but then again you guys are biased as hell because people don't love him the way you do...

He's been the most uneventful, boring, backpacking champion in recent memory. If you're truly impressed by him, I feel bad for you for having never witnessed a truly great fighter showcasing his skills.

You sound bitter asf! dont be that bias got damn man!

He acted in the first fight with Yan and was on his way to losing that until that illegal knee but he made adjustments in the second and beat Yan fair and square(boring or not he won fairly)

And wtf you talkin about on the Cejudo fight...that fight should've ended in a unanimous decision for Aljo.

Back