What's your next purchase? v4

Picked up my FN Five-Seven today. I am pretty excited.

A tip for the future is to build your own AR when you have a slightly larger budget. You can build a very good quality AR for much cheaper than you can buy and you have many options. If you were going lower budget build the only thing I would suggest spending the extra cash on is a good barrel, trigger and a good bolt carrier group(bcg really doesn't cost too much more). Also you can be patient and not spend as much all at once. Also building it is a lot of fun imo.

Quick break down example. You can find mil spec lowers and uppers for under $100. Lpk is idk like $60. MOE stock 40, cmc trigger 3.5lb 160 for example( I like Geissele triggers but they are quite expensive) match barrels in the 300 ish range, decent bcg 140, decent muzzle device for 40-80, milspec charging handle, etc. You can build a very accurate(.75 moa or better, that is if that is you want something that capable, some don't as they won't be using a scope and in that case you could spend a little less on the barrel), great shooting reliable rifle for $1000. The trigger imo is easily the best improvement to any rifle.

I bought a 2 stage, 2.5# Daniel Defense trigger for $70+shipping.

It requires some assembly, but took me a half hour (mostly because I put a pin in backwards the first time and the trigger wasn't traveling enough to release the hammer). Really does take about 5 mins to swap them out.

And mil-spec AR triggers are gritty, have lots of play, and are ~6.5#

A two stage trigger yields a little, catches, then the slightest pressure releases the hammer. Makes it easier to control exactly when you shoot and minimizes the influence of squeezing the trigger on shot placement.

Picked up my Wasr 10-63 Friday. Sweet little AK-47, no mag wobble with Circle 10 mags, no canted sights. My gunsmith looked it over for me and had nothing but praise. Payed $560 so I think I got a hell of a deal.

Going to be staining the stock this week and I'll put up pics.

I bought a 2 stage, 2.5# Daniel Defense trigger for $70+shipping.

It requires some assembly, but took me a half hour (mostly because I put a pin in backwards the first time and the trigger wasn't traveling enough to release the hammer). Really does take about 5 mins to swap them out.

And mil-spec AR triggers are gritty, have lots of play, and are ~6.5#

A two stage trigger yields a little, catches, then the slightest pressure releases the hammer. Makes it easier to control exactly when you shoot and minimizes the influence of squeezing the trigger on shot placement.

Daniel Defense to my knowledge doesn't make two stage triggers, correct me if I'm wrong. I know that in some of their guns they use a Geissele SSA 2 stage that is 2.5lb take up and 2lb release.

I use Geissele SSA-E triggers. I think I want to try the SD-E next.

Just put a deposit down on a S&W M&P40.

I was at the range this weekend with my Mossberg that I picked up back in February and got the chance to put 30 rounds through my buddy's M&P40 and I just fucking loved it.

Drop in triggers like CMC, Timney, and Giessele are hands down the single best upgrade you can make on an AR15. The difference between an #8 "Mil-Spec" gritty trigger and a #3.5 glass breaking upgrade is incredible.

For precision shooting go 2 stage. For combat use single stage.

I've built more than a dozen rifles now and will never skimp on trigger or barrel again.

After the comments I looked up the CMC 3.5# flat trigger. Around $150, I just like the look of the flat more than the curved. After another few months of running mine stock that's the one I will look to buy most likely.

Picked up my FN Five-Seven today. I am pretty excited.

DICK:mad:

been looking for one going on two years now with no luck. Closest I got was a employee at sportsmans warehouse saying he could order me one if I put a 100 dollars down for a special order. Which I was willing to do then some asshole chick said they couldn't because it was an item they normally carried. She made sure to rub it in that she had one and it was a nice gun:rolleyes: I really really hate her

After the comments I looked up the CMC 3.5# flat trigger. Around $150, I just like the look of the flat more than the curved. After another few months of running mine stock that's the one I will look to buy most likely.

They are great triggers and you won't be disappointed. The difference will feel astronomical.

been looking for one going on two years now with no luck. Closest I got was a employee at sportsmans warehouse saying he could order me one if I put a 100 dollars down for a special order. Which I was willing to do then some asshole chick said they couldn't because it was an item they normally carried. She made sure to rub it in that she had one and it was a nice gun:rolleyes: I really really hate her

Was she hot?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=401742842

Daniel Defense to my knowledge doesn't make two stage triggers, correct me if I'm wrong. I know that in some of their guns they use a Geissele SSA 2 stage that is 2.5lb take up and 2lb release.

I use Geissele SSA-E triggers. I think I want to try the SD-E next.

You're right. It was a Rock River Arms.

My infatuation with my p30 has ended having put a few hundred rounds through a pre-release Steyr L40 A1. I've always liked the original M9, but extractor and availability issues scared me away from buying one. I'm sold, as soon as I see a distributor with one in stock it's mine. The platform really shines with the .40 S&W round.

I put a single stage 4# Bill Springfield trigger in my 50 beowulf build. I like it a lot.

http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15.html

xf5k51.jpg

My infatuation with my p30 has ended having put a few hundred rounds through a pre-release Steyr L40 A1. I've always liked the original M9, but extractor and availability issues scared me away from buying one. I'm sold, as soon as I see a distributor with one in stock it's mine. The platform really shines with the .40 S&W round.

I had an M9 and it's the only handgun I've sold off. In the end I liked the looks more than the feel of shooting it. Now you got me thinking of reacquiring one in .40. I've also been looking at the P30 (longslide) in .40.

Don't go cheap on the red dot. If you can't afford it, save up and buy something good like an aimpoint or eotech.

Im looking at the aimpoint pro for my Beowulf build. Mainly because it will supposedly co witness with my iron sights and rail setup. Any idea on how well it works for shots in the 100-200yd range?

Been trying to find. Springfield 1911 Lightweight Champion Operator, but can seem to find one. Can't find a new one anywhere, and the used ones online are either beat up or guys want the same cost as a new one or more for thier used gun. The model is still on SAs website, but I'm assuming they have limited run batches like they do in a lot of thier 1911s.

Im looking at the aimpoint pro for my Beowulf build. Mainly because it will supposedly co witness with my iron sights and rail setup. Any idea on how well it works for shots in the 100-200yd range?

I set mine at 100 and my open sights for 50. I don't really shoot anything farther with that gun and it works really well for me.

I set mine at 100 and my open sights for 50. I don't really shoot anything farther with that gun and it works really well for me.

It has a 2MOA reticle/dot right? Does that seem to be accurate when punching paper at 100yds or does it cover more than 2MOA at that range?

Im using this rifle mainly as a black bear and brush gun for elk. I dont really want a 4x scope for bear hunting and the iron sights would be useless with a scope. I spent good coin on them (Troy Di-optic rear sight and Troy tritium front) so I dont want to pull them off until I have a new build going. If I went with a scope on this rifle, Id also want a small reflex sight that can handle the power, like a Burris Fastfire II, and mount it at a canted 45deg angle on the hand guard for close shots.

I had an M9 and it's the only handgun I've sold off. In the end I liked the looks more than the feel of shooting it. Now you got me thinking of reacquiring one in .40. I've also been looking at the P30 (longslide) in .40.

No one gun is going to fit everyone, but for me this thing was a revelation. Don't get me wrong the p30 ( as an aside do get the long slide, my exact model is the p30l v3s, long slide with the SA/DA trigger and the manual safety) is an amazing pistol and I won't be letting it go, but everything about the Steyr was spot on. I've been shooting for 25 years now, and the Steyr's have the best ergonomics for me that I've found. The Steyr reps also detailed the extractor improvements (it's basically the recall extractor introduced when the first models had problems.)

It has a 2MOA reticle/dot right? Does that seem to be accurate when punching paper at 100yds or does it cover more than 2MOA at that range?

Im using this rifle mainly as a black bear and brush gun for elk. I dont really want a 4x scope for bear hunting and the iron sights would be useless with a scope. I spent good coin on them (Troy Di-optic rear sight and Troy tritium front) so I dont want to pull them off until I have a new build going. If I went with a scope on this rifle, Id also want a small reflex sight that can handle the power, like a Burris Fastfire II, and mount it at a canted 45deg angle on the hand guard for close shots.

I don't have experience with the pro but I have the micro and an M4.

2 moa is good and if you have good eyes you can turn the power down on the aimpoint and the dot appears smaller for a 1 ish moa dot.

I would look at the new Trijicon MRO. It has a better fov than the micro. They can be had with a mount for 550ish on amazon. I have read good things about it. It would probably be good for what you are describing. Small, light, decent size objective, etc.

trijicon_MRO_001a.jpg

112_zps8i8bzdnj.jpg

MRO-Spec-Sheet-2.jpg

I saw a 4inch super Blackhawk I might pick up the other day. I already have a 10.5 inch but the 4inch is pretty appealing.

Mossberg MVP Patrol in 7.62. I have the Varmint in 5.56, but I like the compact size of the patrol and think it would be easy to sling and carry all day. Anybody have any experience with it?

I don't have experience with the pro but I have the micro and an M4.

2 moa is good and if you have good eyes you can turn the power down on the aimpoint and the dot appears smaller for a 1 ish moa dot.

I would look at the new Trijicon MRO. It has a better fov than the micro. They can be had with a mount for 550ish on amazon. I have read good things about it. It would probably be good for what you are describing. Small, light, decent size objective, etc.

trijicon_MRO_001a.jpg

112_zps8i8bzdnj.jpg

MRO-Spec-Sheet-2.jpg

That MRO looks pretty nice.

I built the rifle around using the aimpoint pro and Vltor casv mx handguard. I did some research and chose the irons that will work with the setup. Not sure if that trijicon would work on my setup though. Im not looking for paper punching accuracy but if I can get 2 moa accuracy out of it, it will work for what i need it for, which is shooting large bodied animals up to 200yds.

CZ 97b if i can ever fucking find one!!!!!

I put one on our allocation list, there are 20 or so ahead of it in priority but if it hits the shop I'll PM you. I'm not sure what the procedure is for CA transfers but the manager can handle it I'm sure.

That MRO looks pretty nice.

I built the rifle around using the aimpoint pro and Vltor casv mx handguard. I did some research and chose the irons that will work with the setup. Not sure if that trijicon would work on my setup though. Im not looking for paper punching accuracy but if I can get 2 moa accuracy out of it, it will work for what i need it for, which is shooting large bodied animals up to 200yds.

If you are a good shooter and have good eyes realistically you could probably expect 3" groups with the 2 moa dot. Maybe an Eotech would be better as the 1 moa dot would roughly get 2" groups. They have models with just a dot if you don't like the circle cross hair.

Reticles_1x-3x.jpg

Don't get me wrong the p30 ( as an aside do get the long slide, my exact model is the p30l v3s, long slide with the SA/DA trigger and the manual safety) is an amazing pistol and I won't be letting it go,

What's a good price on a new one of these in your opinion? Just under $900 seems to be the best I've seen.

I'm looking at a CZ or a Glock 17.

Something basic, get the job done type of deal.

What's a good price on a new one of these in your opinion? Just under $900 seems to be the best I've seen.

That's just about as low as one can go on a P30. Some places that have a distributor-direct shipping arrangement like Bud's can do it for less, but with shipping and transfer most LGSs can beat Bud's if they are willing. Plus if anything goes wrong, your LGS will make it right, Bud's will actually go out of their way to make it harder to remedy, according to everyone I've ever asked.

That's just about as low as one can go on a P30. Some places that have a distributor-direct shipping arrangement like Bud's can do it for less, but with shipping and transfer most LGSs can beat Bud's if they are willing. Plus if anything goes wrong, your LGS will make it right, Bud's will actually go out of their way to make it harder to remedy, according to everyone I've ever asked.

Thanks. Sounds like I should be pulling the trigger at that price point. As for Bud's, they are great when everything goes right and complete jerks when it doesn't. I actually got banned as a customer from them because I complained when they messed up my order and wouldn't communicate with me on fixing it.

Thanks. Sounds like I should be pulling the trigger at that price point. As for Bud's, they are great when everything goes right and complete jerks when it doesn't. I actually got banned as a customer from them because I complained when they messed up my order and wouldn't communicate with me on fixing it.

That's why I always recommend paying via credit card with any online transaction, it may cost more to buy a gun that way, but your bank and card company are very powerful allies when a dispute crops up.

Glock 17 all day. I got rid of my CZs years ago, other than a CZ 22 rifle.

Yea, i'm a glock guy, but a lot of people seem to prefer the CZs over the glocks these days. Could you share your experience?

That's why I always recommend paying via credit card with any online transaction, it may cost more to buy a gun that way, but your bank and card company are very powerful allies when a dispute crops up.

You're right in general, although I still pay with check or MO to save the 3%. In this case Bud's did something stupid like send ammo via UPS to my billing address (PO Box). This was right before Thanksgiving, post first Obama election and things were crazy. Bud's took days to answer my email (the phone was busy or would just ring and ring) where I was asking them to redirect it to the shipping address. They told me go ahead. As if I could. So I sent another email and days later I still heard nothing from them and then I could see via tracking the shipment heading back to Bud's. When I finally did get some attention they guy got upset that I expressed frustration over not being able to contact them and being blown off when I did. It escalated from there. :mad:

Since then the few orders I've done have been under my wife's name. :icon_chee

Don't go cheap on the red dot. If you can't afford it, save up and buy something good like an aimpoint or eotech.

Do you have experience with an xd. If not you're in for a treat. Never shot a pistol that aims so effortlessly. Great choice. I got an xd9 with a 4" barrel. Did all kinds of test shooting and such. Couldn't be happier with my decision.

Back