What's your thoughts on Jiri performance?

What's your thoughts on Jiri performance?

• Total voters
In all honesty, I expected to see a bit of longer kicking game from Alex into a later TKO victory. Jiri had a punchers chance against a striker this high level.
Unfortunately for Jiri, he ate a clean left hook. That means you out.
If this fight happens again, Id expect another finish for Alex. Zero hate on Jiri tho, the opposite, guy is always fun to watch and seems like a decent and honorable person.

It's hard to prepare for low kicks in the span of 2 months, especially for a guy like Jiri, who fights so bladed. I think that mma guys need to build low kick defense into their style from the get go, so that their offense, TD defense all work even as they are checking low kicks. There are guys like Aldo and Yan who can do it, so it is possible.

O'Malley is another guy who tried to retrofit low kick defense into his style. When he fought Munhoz, he was very focused on checking, and had some success doing it, but it completely threw off his ability to attack because he lacked the experience to work both effectively.
Very true. I feel like they overlooked the calf kick though and did zero drilling against it.

Imagine instead of spending all that time punching trees he had a guy kick at his calf and he had to react to it

Last edited:
To be honest, except for the leg kicks. And how effective they were. That’s almost exact what I expected to see. Including the advantage to Jiri on the ground.

Both guys are very good. And both can be KTFO. His performance was good, but he lost.

He got a bit careless and got caught by illegal elbows. He'll be back.

Was shocked how fast Jiri went to wrestle after the calf kicks. For him to win, he could've wrestled a lot more but it would've been a lackluster performance by his standards.

Very true. I feel like they overlooked the calf kick and did zero drilling against it though

A lot of guys think that they can just catch the guy throwing the low kick with a straight counter. That's their solution and what they prepare for. It can work on a lot of fighters, but against an opponent of Pereira's caliber, they run into several problems: the kick is well-disguised and seems to come from nowhere, the kick takes your leg out from under you, the kick is timed so that you are out of position to counter... I don't know what Jiri's prep looked like but you are right: he seemed to have no answer.

He got his leg beat up BAD. Was a matter of time before his movements started to become really compromise. I liked his takedown and i liked his pressure but Pereira thrives of guys coming at him when his back is against the fence

He was actually doing better than I had expected him to.

I feel like his training was so good, unfortunately he definitely didn't look to be training for a fighter like Alex Pereira.
He was training to become a better complete all around fighter. Like maybe it would be better to fight like simple stuff like in the trenches. But I'm nit disappointed though, knowing these things.

Back