Whay age did you learn most "friends" arent ride till you die?

Middle school. Some of my friends from junior school ended up in the cool group. I didn't. So a few months into grade 6 and some of my "friends" couldn't be seen with me anymore and they started being dicks towards me. Kids are assholes, no joke.
I actually experienced just this.

A kid who was pretty much universally hated had his moment in the sun with the in crowd by selling me up the river. I only had one friend in the school at the time who was also his friend thus we all sat together. He was lukewarm about me all year but we never had any big disagreements and I'm pretty sure I hooked him up with some DBZ artwork. Anyhoo, I had a pretty big disagreement with another kid and lost a pretty mild shoving match. I immediately became disliked by the in crowd but no one really knew anything about me except him and my friend.

Somehow he ended up over there with about ten other kids clowning me for a couple days straight. When they bored of it they kicked him right back to the curb and he actually came right back to talk with us like nothing happened. He had no shame at all.

My mother and father never had any real friends when I was a child, so I sort of grew up in the same way, not trusting people.

I have very few friends now as an adult, friends that make the same effort as yourself in a friendship are the ones that I have in my life now but I have my rules and I don't trust them, humans are a variable bunch and most keep their agendas and motivations well hidden.

Middle school. Some of my friends from junior school ended up in the cool group. I didn't. So a few months into grade 6 and some of my "friends" couldn't be seen with me anymore and they started being dicks towards me. Kids are assholes, no joke.

Yep, I realized it at an early age too. Everyone was two faced in middle school.

It took me until adulthood, unfortunately, to realize that some family members aren't ride or die either.

15. I got beef with a lot of kids back then. My buddies all went home when I thought they'd back me up. After that, I started bringing a knife. Lesson is don't drag other people into your own bs. I still got lots of friends but I stopped picking fights with strangers.

My whole life... we are alone but in the best way possible. Once we accept that we can move on... There are a rare few who will be there no matter what, those who will not take advantage of you when given the opportunity. These people owe us nothing and shouldn't be blamed when they falter or don't do and feel as we want because their self is more important than us from their perspective, but these rare few define "love"...

It took me until maybe 23 to actively cut the "fat" of fair weather friends and users, including family member... I tend to hold the people around me to an almost unattainable standard (to a fault?) because i expect that of myself and have no problem being by myself, in fact i prefer it...

I guess I'm an outlier.

Friends have never surprised or disappointed me.

I've had some pretty hard times in my life, and there has always, and I mean ALWAYS been someone there for me. I'm in my fifties and even now, having turned into something of an asocial hermit, there are a half dozen friends out there (some of whom I haven't spoken to in years) who would have my back.

I did that with a friend of mine when I went from middle school to high school, but it was just from one best friend to another. The kid from middle school kept hanging around with us but the other kid may have been mean to him, and I kept laughing and encouraging. I never realized it until we went to his house, his father opened and said "he doesn't want to hang around with you anymore. Why did you do it? Why?" So I turned around confused and walked away whilst he shut the door.

I wasn't a bad kid, but I was pretty fucking unaware.

As for the question? It wasn't so much about loyalty being broken but my ties being severed because I had to move across the country as soon as I finished my GCSEs. My mental health really suffered at this time, my self-esteem collapsed and I just believed that I didn't matter to anybody. Because of this, I've always talked to people but it's never been a big deal for me when we've lost contact for any reason.

Now I have my girlfriend, my immediate family and that's about it. I'd be lost without my girlfriend however.

Define "ride or die", because I have friends I feel would give me assistance if necessary, but at the same time, I would be selfish if I expected them to turn their lives upside down for me. I very much feel that way with some former coworkers of mine, but they live in a different province and have their own families now. When I visit, I don't always get a chance to see everyone, but that's just part of adulting.

Couple of years after college.
When work, careers, and other shite got real.

Were you a yugioh kid or something

Friendship is a two way street. It also means you don't ask/put your friends in situations to "ride or die" for you.

Back