When does your cardio give out?

Evenflow80

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm just curious. At what roll/spar does your cardio/endurance just give out and you just basically try to just survive until the buzzer rings?

For me its pretty terrible. We only do 5 minute rolls, and I'm ok the first roll and go pretty hard, but halfway through the 2nd its when my endurance/cardio just completely dies out.

I'm just curious really what realistic expecations I can set for myself and goals that are attainable as far as my age goes, i.e "I want to be able to get in 3, 5 minute rolls non stop with a consistent 80% or more effort"

If you can, please also state your age and rank with your answer and if possible, how it was versus now.

Thank you

I don't think you can get the answer you're looking for. "Cardio" isn't a fixed, equally-apportioned quantity. It's a loose description of the net rate at which your body can process oxygen. Lowering your application of force, increasing your oxygen uptake, increasing the efficiency of your movement, pacing your output, timing your output, and who your training partners are will always change the outcome. What work rate that actually means varies incredibly between people based on age, fitness level, skill, and physiology.

If you're gassing in your second round, you're going too hard. I'm a 39 year old brown belt with a lot of miles on my body. I can "roll hard" during a normal class for 60-90 minutes with a variety of partners before dehydration becomes a problem. Alternative, if I go "mundials finals" mode against a heavyweight adult purple belt champ, I've got about three minutes in the tank before I can't feel my face. This level of relative output has been more or less true since I initially got into shape when I began training. A big part of this is recalibrating your definition of "hard" as "the highest work rate I can maintain for 30/60/90 minutes under normal rolling conditions ".

The reason why my cardio was so bad in the beginning is because I was using Way Too much energy and not knowing what to do. Plus when you have someone making you carry all their weight with knee on belly it completely zaps your energy.

I've been using the Bas Rutten O2 Trainer for 2 weeks and I kid you not I can already feel a difference :

http://www.o2trainer.com/shop/the-official-bas-rutten-o2-trainer/

o2trainerblue1-500x335.jpg

It depends on intensity, and catching my "second wind".

If I'm rolling with a more advanced guy, and we are having a good but technical roll- I can pretty much go for 1-2 hours. That includes a lot of position changes and attempts to finish.

If I'm way better than the people I'm rolling with- I can roll forever- as I just get into dominant positions and rest as needed.

Tournament intensity? I got maybe 3 rounds in me with a 1 minute break in between.

38 year brown belt.

To be honest, at this stage of the game for me- I'd rather do a 20 minute round with an upper belt where we are rolling at a solid pace. Our blackbelt and I have an unwritten rule that you don't hold a position for more than 10-20 seconds without either starting to attack or transitioning on. we are still going 100% for finishes and defending them- but no stalling positions. Thus we get more reps in a variety of situations. Should be moderate intensity with brief periods of semi explosive movement.

It's more who as opposed to when.

In fact, even if you go into Mundials finals mode you might not break a sweat because if the other person can't amtch your output, you'll just reset a lot or never end up in those long, energy sapping fights for position

Usually after one or two rolls depending on who I roll with first. I use to get tired after the warm ups

It's all about pacing and learning about when expending energy will actually work and mean something. Early in the grappling journey, we go 100% all the time and gas out immediately. But as we get more experienced, we learn where the opportunities are and take advantage and when we are in position to rest.

Back