When you think about it, New York should be churning out more MMA pros.

You can't really cross train in NYC. Gyms are too expensive. Suppose say you train BJJ and MT. It's at least 200 dollars a piece. That is a minimum of 400 a month. It doesn't include your wrestling, boxing and strength/conditioning. You need to pay more for that. Most fighters in that city are paying to compete. GSP made NYC work for him and he doesn't even live there. There are other issues with traveling time due to congestion. There isn't really a facility with everything under the same roof because rent and licenses are too expensive. It does have several different single discipline gyms with world class instruction.

The legalization did hamper the amateur circuits but people were somewhat still fighting illegally. Frankie Edgar came up doing a bareknuckle underground circuit. I don't think he fought bareknuckle but those guys within that circuit can choose to wear gloves or not. It was a free for all in terms of TMA, grapplers and strikers.

I'm in a different state, so no real dog in the fight, but I assume upstate would be ok with forgoing all the tax revenue that comes out of NYC, right?
Yeah by most major polls the majority of citizens in New York State are in favor of just that.

You can't really cross train in NYC. Gyms are too expensive. Suppose say you train BJJ and MT. It's at least 200 dollars a piece. That is a minimum of 400 a month. It doesn't include your wrestling, boxing and strength/conditioning. You need to pay more for that. Most fighters in that city are paying to compete. GSP made NYC work for him and he doesn't even live there. There are other issues with traveling time due to congestion. There isn't really a facility with everything under the same roof because rent and licenses are too expensive. It does have several different single discipline gyms with world class instruction.

The legalization did hamper the amateur circuits but people were somewhat still fighting illegally. Frankie Edgar came up doing a bareknuckle underground circuit. I don't think he fought bareknuckle but those guys within that circuit can choose to wear gloves or not. It was a free for all in terms of TMA, grapplers and strikers.

Fantastic post sir, that's exactly what it is.
How can you pay to train when everything else is taking your arms and legs.

I'm in a different state, so no real dog in the fight, but I assume upstate would be ok with forgoing all the tax revenue that comes out of NYC, right?
the revenue mostly all goes back into the city. not much of it, relatively, goes back to the rest of the state. if taxes really went to bettering the rest of NY there wouldnt be so many towns that are still wrecked by NAFTA and companies moving operations overseas. no investment in any industries to replace the vacuum that remained after big companies left. some towns like Cooperstown thankfully have a niche industry that helps a bit (baseball HOF and Museum, DoubleDay field) but thats not the norm or reliable. the state's capital, Albany, is barely a footnote in matters when it comes to NY. the city has an outsized influence on the rest of the state, tax dollars included.

It's still more into boxing I guess. Though NYC has plenty of BJJ gyms including the one Danaher works at. But I don't think NYS is known for wrestling teams?
Nys is not known for wrestling but new jersey next door is one of the best states for wrestling

Unfortunately that's not unique to NYC or any big cities. People are cowards until the problem is theirs.
Yeah I do agree its just shocking to me to watch videos in NYC where women or men are getting harassed or even assaulted and bystanders do absolutely nothing to help, its almost like the laws of that city are in the favor of the criminals.

That's many places unfortunately sir.

Well put, Kitty Genovese is the pinnacle of people ‘minding their own business,’ but hardly alone… and people carve out this narrative that it’s primarily a big city problem….please, after years of city dwelling, I can attest the small towns are just as apathetic, as I have found out. Might even be worse. Just a while ago, I had to speak up at a gas station against some red neck grease ball started threatening a clerk with crazy shit.. my only caution is small city folk are more likely to have a gun in their car, as opposed to the typical city apartment dweller….so you better have one, too.

Yeah I do agree its just shocking to me to watch videos in NYC where women or men are getting harassed or even assaulted and bystanders do absolutely nothing to help, its almost like the laws of that city are in the favor of the criminals.
Eh. I grew up in a small town and we dealt with that shit outside of every bar. Hell, we had a girl get assaulted at a high school party, had the kid admit it, and the cops wouldn't do anything because he was from a good family.
Laws in our society just aren't built to benefit the common-folk. It's unfortunate and needs overhauled, but until then we just have to grow a pair and bring out our inner Batmen.

but until then we just have to grow a pair and bring out our inner Batmen.
or, depending on the circumstances, our inner Bateman.

6ggu.gif

It's like this in many cities in the US.

After California, Texas, and Florida, it is the most populated state in the country.

The culture of NYC and the areas around it claims to be gritty and tough.

Sure it has given the world the likes of Jon Jones and a handful of other fighters but a state its size should be churning more way more MMA pros and MMA fighters than it is right now. Yet all it has representing its MMA scenes are a bunch of annoying Guidos on Long Island.

For those unfamiliar with history, Long Island is a suburb where all the former residents scared of life in the 5 boroughs moved to so in other words, descendants of cowards.

What about Arizona (Justin Gaethje x Don Frye) and New Mexico (Jon Jones)?

Actually I've noticed that people who are from these type of tough backgrounds don't seem to last long in MMA/BJJ/Muay Thai gyms. The problem is that they are tough guys, go in with that mentality (treat sparring like a fight often) and they naturally get schooled - 99/100 can't take that mentally that so never come back. It's even worse if they've had a bit of success in street/bar fights.

A long time super leftist state doesn't produce a lot of people who want to get punched in the face for a living?

Wow I'm shocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back