Where do you place Leon Edwards in GOAT WW list?

GSP
Hughes
Woodley
Usman
Lawler
Leon and Hendricks tied for 6, but Leon's the only one on the list who could still jump up 2 or 3 spots if he beats Belal and Shavkat.

There are tons of guys with better wins than colby. Belal, Gilbert, wonderboy, rda, leon himself. not that that’s in order, I’m just saying all those guys are somewhere above him in my opinion
When Colby won the interim title, Belal had just had his 3rd UFC loss to Geoff Neal and had a big decision win over Curtis Millender, Gilbert had just lost to Dan Hooker and wasn't even fighting at WW, Wonder had lost to Woodley and Darren Till, RDA lost to Colby directly, and Leon hadn't even won his split decision against Gunnar Nelson.

Last edited:
GSP
Hughes
Woodley
Usman
Lawler
Leon and Hendricks tied for 6, but Leon's the only one on the list who could still jump up 2 or 3 spots if he beats Belal and Shavkat.

When Colby won the interim title, Belal had just had his 3rd UFC loss to Geoff Neal and had a big decision win over Curtis Millender, Gilbert had just lost to Dan Hooker and wasn't even fighting at WW, Wonder had lost to Woodley and Darren Till, RDA lost to Colby directly, and Leon hadn't even won his split decision against Gunnar Nelson.
What generation are we even talking about then, cause wonderboy gilbert and rda are older, and belal is the same age

and I don’t think colby beat rda so I don’t count it

I don't mean to be mean, but how the fuck are you putting him so high already???

He just arrived at the top!!!
If you ask me, he is nowhere even close to the GOATS!
He didn't even surpass Usman yet!!

Let his continue defending his title, and climbing the mountain... but he is not even on the frozen peak yet!

but I didn't really rank him myself

Lol, what a bad take.

Leon isn’t exciting and he doesn’t have a top3 resume yet, but you’re greatly underestimating him as a fighter.

He easily beats guys like Alves, Nick, Fitch, Confit and Shields. I would also favour him against Rory and Woodley. Prime Hendricks, Lawler and Colby are tough stylistic fights for him. He already beat a prime Usman.

I would actually give a good chance for him to beat GSP too. GSP liked to stay on the outside and use his jab and kicks. Leon does the same, but better and he’s longer than GSP. Leon has great TDD and amazing distance management, so shooting double legs out of from the open ain’t gone work well with him. Even if GSP would take him down, Leon would just get up and continue outstriking him from the outside.

Skill wise Leon is an amazing fighter, he’s not really exciting though. Neither was GSP to be honest

He may or may not beat them but he ain't beating them easy lmao. Literally well past out-of-prime LW Nate almost caught him. He did beat prime Usman, but so did Bisping against Rockhold, Serra against GSP and so on. But it doesn't mean prime Bisping is better than prime Rockhold. Not even remotely close.

LOL Leon ain't touching GSP prime for prime.

GSP is a lot more exciting than Leon though, even after he turned into a wrestling machine.

but I didn't really rank him myself

indeed, but you are already putting him as "one of the GOATS", and want to you where he sits amongst them...

Just think of it like that: If he was to quit today, he would NOT be one of the GOATS. Not even close!

GSP

Hughes
Usman

Edwards
Woodley

Only correct answer. I feel GSP and Hughes were just levels above the rest of the division, for a long long time. I mean GSP's main title run was total 11 fights, 6 years, Hughes was 6 fights, 5 years, and then another 2 years with another 5 wins (2 were not title fights due to weight misses).

Usman's was 6 fights, 3 years. It just doesn't compare imo.

Leon has 3. He's just not in the conversation yet.

Last edited:
indeed, but you are already putting him as "one of the GOATS", and want to you where he sits amongst them...

Just think of it like that: If he was to quit today, he would NOT be one of the GOATS. Not even close!

not trying to be nick picky, but one of goats, and refering to them greats as well, in a list, for a particular division, isn't as lofty as being actual one of the goats though...

it's all semantcs in a way, but with that aside, leon may have an argument for being in top 5, more so on his record than his skillset. I don't know, so I was curious.

it's all semantcs in a way, but with that aside, leon may have an argument for being in top 5, more so on his record than his skillset. I don't know, so I was curious.
But that's the thing...
First of all, this is unfair to him: Other GOATS defended their belts for years against many foes. He defended TWICE.
And second, it is unfair to the him After all, you are comparing all other GOATS's (full) careers against a guy who just entered his prime years.

But who knows how far he'll go?? Remember Cain! Everyone was calling him an unstoppable GOAT... and his health issues took his career away... Have you heard of anyone that continues to claim that Cain is the GOAT? I haven't.
SO let us have him defend his belt; beat other new opponents and see how he will fare now that he has a target on his back!!

Last edited:
Only correct answer. I feel GSP and Hughes were just levels above the rest of the division, for a long long time. I mean GSP's main title run was total 11 fights, 6 years, Hughes was 6 fights, 5 years, and then another 2 years with another 5 wins (2 were not title fights due to weight misses).

Usman's was 6 fights, 3 years. It just doesn't compare imo.

Leon has 3. He's just not in the conversation yet.

What doesnt compare is the UFC in Usman's time with Hughes time. And Im not talking about evolution of the sport, but relative to their time

UFC in Hughes era wasnt the premier org at the time, and the majority of top talent of Hughes size was fighting for Pride because they paid better. Much better. And its called prizefighting for a reason. They were often doing it above 170lbs but thats another story

GSP is head and shoulders above the rest because he was a long time dominant champ when UFC was already the #1 org.
Acting as if it was the case during Hughes run is unfair towards Usman

But that's the thing...
First of all, this is unfair to him: Other GOATS defended their belts for years against many foes. He defended TWICE.
And second, it is unfair to the GOATs: After all, you are comparing all other GOATS's own (full) careers against a guy who is on his prime.

But my point is simple: Think about Cain. Everyone was calling him GOAT, unstoppable... and yet, his health issues took his career away... and do you know of anyone that continue claiming Cain is GOAT? I don't.
SO let us have him defend his belts for longer; beat other dangerous opponents and see how he will fare now that he has a target on his back!!

I think you are getting hung up a bit on the word goats. goats or greats, whatever it may be. I never called Cain Goat at any point in my life though. Leon def had a better run though Cain might be a better fighter.

He's #6. IMO

1) GSP
2) Usman
3) Hughes
4) Woodley
5) Lawlor
6) Edwards

I can see arguments for swapping Usman and Hughes, or Woodley and Lawlor, but I can't see Leon being higher than #6 by any measure.

What doesnt compare is the UFC in Usman's time with Hughes time. And Im not talking about evolution of the sport, but relative to their time

UFC in Hughes era wasnt the premier org at the time, and the majority of top talent of Hughes size was fighting for Pride because they paid better. Much better. And its called prizefighting for a reason. They were often doing it above 170lbs but thats another story

GSP is head and shoulders above the rest because he was a long time dominant champ when UFC was already the #1 org.
Acting as if it was the case during Hughes run is unfair towards Usman

This is a valid point, which is why I think GSP's run is a lot more impressive then Hughes'

However, Pride didn't have a 170 weight class, so you'd have to look at LW fighters, perhaps a couple of smaller MW's. So Gomi? Dennis Kang? Aoki? I mean most of the big names in Pride at the time were the bigger guys. Who from that time would you rate higher than Hughes? Or as someone who would be able to challenge him in his prime?

This is a valid point, which is why I think GSP's run is a lot more impressive then Hughes'

However, Pride didn't have a 170 weight class, so you'd have to look at LW fighters, perhaps a couple of smaller MW's. So Gomi? Dennis Kang? Aoki? I mean most of the big names in Pride at the time were the bigger guys. Who from that time would you rate higher than Hughes? Or as someone who would be able to challenge him in his prime?

There are a bunch that could certainly be a challenge. These are some:

- The guy who actually beat Sakurai in dominant fashion right before Sakurai challenged Hughes for the UFC tittle: Anderson Silva (Shooto WW champion). The only reason why UFC had to sign the loser instead of the winner is...exactly, because Pride paid better (and had better ties with Chute Boxe and other Brazilian main gyms)

- The guy who actually KOed Hughes just before Hughes started his championship run: Pele Landi. The only reason why fan favourite Pele signed for Pride instead of UFC is....exactly, because Pride paid better.

- Pride and MMA superstar who, being the same size than Hughes, was submiting legit LHWs and even former UFC HW champions: Kazuzhi Sakuraba.
Needless to say that Saku would laugh at the kind of money UFC was offering at that time. But if in a remote case UFC could match or even outbid Pride for his services, there is no doubt Saku could make 170 even easier then Hughes did, and be a serious challenge for him

- The guy who, also weighting in fight night the same than Hughes or even lighter, took Dan Henderson to a controversial decision, was known for his skill to back up to his feet, and was certainly regarded as one of the best guys his size in MMA at the time: Yuki Kondo.
If Kondo was offered to challenge the guy 30lbs bigger for the UFC tittle (Tito Ortiz) instead of the guy his same size/weight, it's not because Kondo would refuse the latter. It's rather because UFC prefered a safer investment.

- The guy who, again being the same size/weight than Hughes, took UFC LHW champion Liddel to a competitive decision, was regular training partner of Fedor, and a certified badass of the early '00s: Amar Suloev

We could go on, you mention Denis Kang which is a nice pick, Misaki who beat Dan Henderson for the Pride MW belt is another, among others

This is not to discredit Hughes, he is an ATM. It's just that in the comparison with Usman's run, Usman was definitely more tested vs universally proven top talent around his size/weight. He had no protection from UFC in that regard, because UFC didnt need to look their investment so carefully to protect their few stars who actually brought them profit as in the early-mid 00's-

Last edited:
Way behind Colby
Barely touched 35 year old Colby
Leons light work for prime Colby

gsp usman hughes woodley lawler are all above leon for now

he could pass lawler and woodley if he wins against shavkat next.
If he goes against belal and win against him i would put him above lawler but still not above woodley for the fact he never faced a new generation fighter unlike tyron who destroyed till when till was hot

I respect Leon but I'd like to see him beat Shavkhat to solidify his resume.

Back