Where to Learn Shoulder roll or philly shell in LA

SteadyEddy

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I will be moving to Los Angeles soon, and would like to know if anyone knows a good boxing gym in L.A that specializes in teaching the Philly shell or shoulder roll defense? I've looked everywhere on the internet, and most gyms don't break down there instruction so its difficult to find any info on it. I've heard the best way to learn it is to actually learn it from someone that has trained extensively in it.

Honestly dude there's not a lot of point in learning it. If you're not learning it from one of the increasingly rare gyms that teach it properly (and even then there's no garuantee you'll have more success using it than a regular guard) then you're gonna miss a lot of the nuances.

Honestly I'd say just learn the traditional boxing guard at a good gym - or find out which coaches are the most defensively minded.

Honestly dude there's not a lot of point in learning it. If you're not learning it from one of the increasingly rare gyms that teach it properly (and even then there's no garuantee you'll have more success using it than a regular guard) then you're gonna miss a lot of the nuances.

Honestly I'd say just learn the traditional boxing guard at a good gym - or find out which coaches are the most defensively minded.
it's interesting you say this. the philly shell was never really something i trained to do, but i kinda just naturally developed it. i think it only suits some fighters and it has to be a fairly natural pattern of movement. i have been deliberately trying to use a conventional guard more as i have been into mma and a bit of kickboxing in more recent years.

it's interesting you say this. the philly shell was never really something i trained to do, but i kinda just naturally developed it. i think it only suits some fighters and it has to be a fairly natural pattern of movement. i have been deliberately trying to use a conventional guard more as i have been into mma and a bit of kickboxing in more recent years.

I wonder if that's what happened with Dustin Poirer, because I can't imagine he was trained to do it for MMA, but he does

I wonder if that's what happened with Dustin Poirer, because I can't imagine he was trained to do it for MMA, but he does
could be. i'm a similar build to poirer, and it seems to be effective against shorter opponents, especially if you have a lot of shoulder to hide behind. i figure i formed the habit because i always had pretty slow hands and wouldn't bring them back to guard fast enough, so i started relying more on the shoulders for protection .

Back