Where would your rank Khamzat Chimaev at MW?

Where would your rank Khamzat Chimaev at MW?

• Total voters
I'm good with #9 ish. Of course it's only based on perception, no actual evidence.

Don't do the TS yet. Give him Vettori, Cannonier or Whittaker next to prove himself as an elite MW.

That's what I expect to see.

If not now, when the fight is booked/approaching under the "Hey everybody buy this fight look how good these guys are" policy of the UFC.

Skill wise he’s probably top 10 at worst. But his resume at the weight class is Kamaru Usman, Gerald Meerschaert, and John Phillips. Usman win is good but how much weight does it hold at 185 when he has never fought there? I think at the most generous you can put around 15 based off accomplishments. He’s just not proven much there.

because its kammzhat, he should be ranked #1 in WW and in all divisions above, at all times, ever ready to fight for the title in any desert. he's the #1 desert fighter of the world. anything lower, would just be disingenuous and disrespectful to Sweden.

#9 is fair. I don't hate it, actually -- and I was afraid the UFC was going to make him #1 contender or something. I could make an argument for as high as #6... but probably not any higher than that. I guess you could also go lower if you were so inclined.

So in general when a ranked fighter transitions from one weight class to another, I view it sort of like an exchange rate -- like bringing your cash to a new country where it means ever so slightly less. Or, for any veterans out there, if someone transfers from one branch of the military to another -- they sometimes lose grade/rank in the process. Similar deal with ranked fighters -- ideally when they transfer to a new division, they should be fighting a dude who is a few slots below the number they held back in their native division. So on-paper, Chimaev -- a Top 3-5 guy at Welterweight for quite some time -- fighting Costa who was just outside of the Top 5 up at Middleweight made a lot of sense for his first test.

But Costa pulled out and the UFC threw another ranked Welter into the mix, so things got messy. Chimaev deserves to be rewarded for beating a legit dude at the agreed-upon weight and shouldn't really be punished for Paulo not showing up... but at the same time he didn't beat a ranked Middleweight contender. So what you're left doing is trying is sort of average the perceived "value" of the short-notice Usman (repeat the process above here) win alongside Khamzat's old Middleweight wins against GM3 (longtime fringe Top 20ishguy) and John Phillips (meh). If you're generous you can also include Holland, since it happened closer to Middleweight than Welterweight and Holland was a Top 10 guy at MW a couple of years ago. You could also try to factor in whatever you think the value of his win over Ikram outside the UFC is.

Is the end result of all this a #9 ranking? I have no fucking clue... but it's not terrible, all things considered -- and I'm one of the few idiots who actually is kind of a stickler about rankings and cares about those sorts of things.

seems like a butthurt thread, what you gonna do when khamzat snatched that belt?

because its kammzhat, he should be ranked #1 in WW and in all divisions above, at all times, ever ready to fight for the title in any desert. he's the #1 desert fighter of the world. anything lower, would just be disingenuous and disrespectful to Sweden.

Why? He has no Swedish passport and now lives in the middle east.

Who cares?
He fought for a title shot and won
So give him the title shot and the winner fights Du Plessis
If Chimaev is injured, book Strickland vs Du Plessis, and the winner fights Chimaev

No worries I have a feeling we won't see Khamzat fight a real MW or any good one. They probably will quietly reject the fight in the background or accept it and have a reason for not showing up day of fight. They are going to have to Islam his ranking soon enough and give him #4 when no one fights him.

Inspired by this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...2-p4p-khamzat-chimaev-debuts-at-9-mw.4312055/

I'd have him at #6. Bumping Costa.

newFile-10.jpg
#10 at best.
He is without a top 10 win at MW, I believe, so how can you justify a higher ranking?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back