Multiplatform Which decade has the best video games?

Which decade has the best video games?

• Total voters
I'm from the Sinclair Spectrum years, so late 80's for me. Lost hours trying to complete such games as Jet Set Willy and the UPTG series.

Probably the 1990’s. Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, PSX, N64, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and a ton of great PC games.

The present decade has the best games. The only thing that I don't like about modern games is that the productions are so intensive that studios rarely take risk anymore like in the past. Everything is sort of derivative to avoid a potentially huge failure.

90s and 00s games have a certain warmth and atmosphere almost akin to how a lot of folks say that vinyl feels warmer and more authentic than digital. There was a certain rawness to those games that I still love and appreciate today, but similar to how you can do way more with digital audio than analog, the games of the 2010s felt way more enjoyable in terms of gameplay variety, fleshed out systems, production values, player expression (depends on the title of course), etc. You can do things in 2010s games that 90s kids only daydreamed of. That's kinda the thing with those older games though - the tech limitations forced them to lean harder into their art direction, and as a result, tended to capture the player's imagination a lot more often than modern titles. This is a really hard question to answer, because of all of these generations have some really magical games. Only one has Sekiro though, so it's going to be the 2010s for me.

90's by far.

I've gone back to Retroarch now for the past year enjoying retro games. It was the start of all the major gaming series and genres'

- first person shooters
- real time strategy
- survival horror

it greatly perfected and expanded on existing genre's

- platformers
- racing games
- puzzle games

and the best part about Retro games? NO GOD DAMN PAY TO PLAY. No loot boxes. No subscriptions. You have the game, you have the entire game. That's it.

Not really a proper answer but there was a ten year period beginning sometime in the 90s where it felt like mind blowing games were being constantly released.

Of the given options, I cant decide on the 90's or 00's.

90s had the original GTA, AND Goldeneye abd mortal kombat.. i think including gta into the 90s could change opinions. And star wars shadows of the empire too.. i cant even pick. Mario games were legenday when i was young, 90s were amazing when i was a 10-15, and 2000's were amazing when i was going into adulthood

I'm not necessarily talking about doing something new, it's more about refining what came before and expanding on it thanks to better tech.

There are lots of great games in the 2010's/current, namely From Soft titles, Witcher 3, Prey etc... TLOU 1 is one of the goats also. Baldur's Gate 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. There are tons of great Indie/AA games too.

My criticism for modern gaming is publishers going heavy on uninspired sequels, or taking the "live service" unfinished route, not to mention intentionally piecing up games to sell components as DLC. Gating off areas with a mindless grind to encourage microtransactions is not just incredibly predatory, it ruins the flow. Woke garbage in everything has plagued so much of gaming as well, mainly an emphasis on identity politics over story/vision.
To be fair, there were plenty of uninspired shovelware, dogshit ports, buggy messes and just terrible games in the 90s too. I'm pretty sure I played most of them. Ever play mega man for DOS? That shit will damage you in ways you can't comprehend.
Right now there's endless good shit. There's stuff on itch made by a single person in a week that shits on all but the very best games I played in the 80s, and we have giant fuck-off productions like bg3 or whatever the latest FF is.
And sure, Street fighter 6 is derivative of street fighters of the past, but it's also a lot better than any of them

To be fair, there were plenty of uninspired shovelware, dogshit ports, buggy messes and just terrible games in the 90s too. I'm pretty sure I played most of them. Ever play mega man for DOS? That shit will damage you in ways you can't comprehend.
Right now there's endless good shit. There's stuff on itch made by a single person in a week that shits on all but the very best games I played in the 80s, and we have giant fuck-off productions like bg3 or whatever the latest FF is.
And sure, Street fighter 6 is derivative of street fighters of the past, but it's also a lot better than any of them
Holy crap I haven’t seen you post in ages!

same one I was whining about taking forever to get the parts for last time I was here like 3 years ago :)
little cm nr200p case, 5950x, 64gb ram and a 3080. probably gonna be another couple years before I bother upgrading, I'll probably upgrade some of my server stuff first tbh, that stuff's been annoying me more than my pc recently

90's saw the most innovation... nearly every game genre you play today originated in the 90s.

2000s were huge as well, but more on quality and not as much variety.

Back