Which Dirty Harry film is the best?

Favorite Dirty Harry film?

• Total voters
1, 2, and 4 I think are the strongest, but I still enjoy the original the most because it works well with the serial killer angle.

I only really sat down and watched Dead Pool.

Magnum Force

And Hutch as the bad guy.

Don't forget Dan Tanna!

Judy%2Blander%2Bvegas.JPG

The first one is hands-down the best and is a classic. They start tapering off from there: Magnum Force was was good, Enforcer is okay, Sudden Impact and Dead Pool have their moments but are largely unnecessary. Lalo Schifrin's score is the unsung hero.

If you didn't like DH, you probably won't like any of the rest; though Tyne Daly in Enforcer does provide some much needed comic relief.

Sequels usually suck (as we all know), but Magnum Force was frickin great. It's right up there with the first movie. If you remove the "iconic" nature of Dirty Harry, then I might even consider Magnum Force a better movie.

I don't know. Scorpio was kind've a greasy nut-sack. I didn't like looking at him.

I like the Asian Chick in Magnum Force.

Man, and that scene in the Enforcer where That leg just comes fly'n up at the massage parlor. That shit was movie magic!

Lol at the plunger!

I recently rewatched all of these as I bought the collection on Blu Ray. The Dead Pool was only made so Warner Brothers would let Clint make his passion project Bird but it still has its moments.

The first three are all pretty similar in tone but Sudden Impact kind of goes off the rails with a pretty dark storyline interspliced with weird goofy attempts at humor (ex. his dog Meathead farting). I do like how they moved the setting out of San Francisco for this one though.

The original is almost a perfect blend of action and horror with little bits of comedy sprinkled in and I’d question someone’s taste in movies if they didn’t like it.

I also find it funny how certain critics framed Clint as a racist for these movies but he cast Albert Popwell in the first four movies and he was a different character each time lol. He couldn’t appear in The Dead Pool due to a scheduling conflict as that movie was kind of thrown together for the reasons mentioned above.

Weird bump, but it's an excuse to say that Dirty Harry is solid if a bit clunky, but Magnum Force is far and away the best in the series. Tight plotting and a very clever way to reposition "dirty" Harry as still having a line and a code as a cop and standing up for the spirit of the law after ending the first film by throwing his badge away. Not just a damn good film, but specifically a damn good sequel.

I have to rewatch them because I don't remember much about each movie but I'll go with Deadpool by name alone

i've never seen any of the dirty harry movies but every time i hear the name i get reminded of borat.

I like the original the best, because it's really bizarre at times and is kind of it's own thing. I don't think they knew what they had at the time. "Magnum Force" is probably the tighter of the two. The rest of them are fine, but they get a bit paint by numbers.

It's an underrated franchise in general, though. There's not really a "bad" one in there.

I like the original the best, because it's really bizarre at times and is kind of it's own thing. I don't think they knew what they had at the time. "Magnum Force" is probably the tighter of the two. The rest of them are fine, but they get a bit paint by numbers.

It's an underrated franchise in general, though. There's not really a "bad" one in there.

The Enforcer pisses me off. The villains were vicious and violent and had the potential to be really memorable but then they disappear in the middle of the movie for around 45 minutes.

Dirty Harry
Sudden impact
Magnum force
Deadpool
Enforcer

The end of dirty Harry, Harry throws his badge and no longer is a cop.

In magnum force he's back to being a cop again which no explanation. Also he's the complete opposite of dirty Harry in the 2nd movie

Magnum does have the best villains but the end of the movie came off silly to me

Only issue I have with the OG is the killer paying a black guy $200 to beat him. It's like come on brah, just step on his shoes or call him the N word and it's free.

Sudden impact is overlooked and under appreciated. It's also the only film in the series directed by Clint.

Dirty Harry
Sudden impact
Magnum force
Deadpool
Enforcer

The end of dirty Harry, Harry throws his badge and no longer is a cop.

In magnum force he's back to being a cop again which no explanation. Also he's the complete opposite of dirty Harry in the 2nd movie

Magnum does have the best villains but the end of the movie came off silly to me

Only issue I have with the OG is the killer paying a black guy $200 to beat him. It's like come on brah, just step on his shoes or call him the N word and it's free.

Sudden impact is overlooked and under appreciated. It's also the only film in the series directed by Clint.

Agreed. The lead bad guy cop dies in such a laughably lame way in Magnum Force. He rides his motorcycle into the ocean…lmao.

Can't beat the original. But they're all at least watchable.

Original is the movie that kicked off Andy Robinson's career. Notable that he and Reni Santoni are both in Dirty Harry with large roles, and then also both in Cobra, Sylvester Stallone's version of Dirty Harry.

Death Wish is better in every way over Dirty Harry.

Back