Which fighter ever could win slugfest with Hagler?

The thing with GGG is that its looking more and more like his power is just a bit overrated. I'd have to go with Hagler via corner stoppage. GGG would not quit though.

Still think G-man is the only guy who might beat Hagler in a shootout.

It’s hard to gauge anyone’s power properly until you actually feel it. Mathew mackilin said his jab was like taking a right hand from other MWs, which is fckin crazy if true! I’ve not heard any boxers who’ve been in the ring with him question his power.

It’s hard to gauge anyone’s power properly until you actually feel it. Mathew mackilin said his jab was like taking a right hand from other MWs, which is fckin crazy if true! I’ve not heard any boxers who’ve been in the ring with him question his power.

Not saying he doesn't have power, but I think its overstated (remember, at one time people we're seriously discussing whether GGG had more punching power than CWs). Jacobs went the distance, Canelo went the distance, looks like many of those knockouts were simply overwhelmed opposition. He's undoubtedly powerful or else Canelo wouldn't have gotten on his bike,...but its a tad overrated IMO.

You are fucking young/stupid/all

Good luck in life and can you please fuck off
Why so much hostility for a man you've never met towards a man you've never met?
giphy.gif

Curtis Stevens said GGG's power isn't all that much, which seems ridiculous considering what happened in their fight.

Curtis Stevens said GGG's power isn't all that much, which seems ridiculous considering what happened in their fight.

Well, I'd say the priceless look on his face after the first KD says otherwise.

Not saying he doesn't have power, but I think its overstated (remember, at one time people we're seriously discussing whether GGG had more punching power than CWs). Jacobs went the distance, Canelo went the distance, looks like many of those knockouts were simply overwhelmed opposition. He's undoubtedly powerful or else Canelo wouldn't have gotten on his bike,...but its a tad overrated IMO.

Jacobs and Canelo are on a different level to the other guys hes fought, there just wasn't the same opportunities in those fights, and I think GGG is on slide (marginally). Not that this would affect his power. Im not disagreeing with you, its been talked up so much that its bound to be over rated. but from the fighters ive seen interviewed none of them has questioned his power. (he has knocked them all out though!)

Going back to your previous post I do think G-man is a good shout. Not sure hed need to get in to a fire fight with Haglar but I think hed outbox him, possibly hurt him.

Sugar Ray Robinson

Julian Jackson

Nigel Benn

Gerald McClellan

Roy Jones Jr.

As much as I love the dark destroyer, hed get knocked out by Haglar, no doubt. Theyre both gonna land but Haglars chin was far sturdier

As much as I love the dark destroyer, hed get knocked out by Haglar, no doubt. Theyre both gonna land but Haglars chin was far sturdier
I agree. RJJ, McClellan, and Jackson all have a shot because of the immense power they brought to the ring, they'd have to do what Hearns couldn't though, and end it quick imo

Who ever at his weight could really outgrind and outfight Marvin? Not outbox him like SRL, but win slugfest? I only could think about Toney and maybe Hopkins?

Hopkins in a slugfest? The guy would be faking low blows and shots to the back of the head the whole fight, with the odd lead right/followup headbutt. When was he ever in a slugfest? And Toney was a slick defensive master.

The obvious answer would be GGG.

Be interesting to see a fight vs GGG. Who has the better chin and who's going to be standing at the end. I'd favour Hagler as Canelo managed to get GGG to hold off. I don't think Canelo could deter Hagler.

GGG has become slightly less aggressive over the past couple fights as he's gotten older and battle-worn. You shouldn't judge him based solely off those bouts.

GGG has become slightly less aggressive over the past couple fights as he's gotten older and battle-worn. You shouldn't judge him based solely off those bouts.
Yeah GGG has got a little less aggressive as he has aged but you also got to factor in that he is now fighting better opposition like Jacobs and Canelo. Both guys had enough power to deter GGG. Canelo is naturally smaller but had enough power to deter him so I've got to figure that someone like Hagler would be able to do at least the same if not more.

Yeah GGG has got a little less aggressive as he has aged but you also got to factor in that he is now fighting better opposition like Jacobs and Canelo. Both guys had enough power to deter GGG. Canelo is naturally smaller but had enough power to deter him so I've got to figure that someone like Hagler would be able to do at least the same if not more.

GGG was moving forward and chasing the whole fight, so I'm not sure he was "deterred."

GGG was moving forward and chasing the whole fight, so I'm not sure he was "deterred."
He was moving forward but he stood off a lot more than usual. Canelo was countering him really well and you could tell that GGG respected his power. I'm a GGG fan as well but I thought it was pretty clear that GGG was less aggressive than normal.

A lot of guys in this thread are forgetting the "slugfest" part of the question. Guys like Roy Jones getting mentioned is way off. Roy would get folded in the early rounds if he went to war with Hagler. In a straight up boxing match, I'd take Roy over Hagler 9/10 times, but not in a slugfest. I love Julian Jackson, but no way he'd win vs the bigger Hagler. He went to war with McCallum in a slugfest and lost. I actually think McCallum would have one of the best chances, because he's slick and wily enough not to get KO'ed, I think he'd be competitive, very competitive in fact, but I still can't see him winning.

A lot of guys in this thread are forgetting the "slugfest" part of the question. Guys like Roy Jones getting mentioned is way off. Roy would get folded in the early rounds if he went to war with Hagler. In a straight up boxing match, I'd take Roy over Hagler 9/10 times, but not in a slugfest. I love Julian Jackson, but no way he'd win vs the bigger Hagler. He went to war with McCallum in a slugfest and lost. I actually think McCallum would have one of the best chances, because he's slick and wily enough not to get KO'ed, I think he'd be competitive, very competitive in fact, but I still can't see him winning.
If Hearns could almost knock out Hagler in the first, RJJ could have come a HELL OF A LOT closer. Don't be ridiculous.

I personally think McClellan Hagler would have been 50/50 slugfest. McClellan walked through Julian Jackson and stopped him twice, and also stopped Nigel Benn's ass (idgaf about official result), too. All slugfests up to the stoppages I mentioned.

Definitely had slugfests in mind for these guys.

If Hearns could almost knock out Hagler in the first, RJJ could have come a HELL OF A LOT closer. Don't be ridiculous.

I personally think McClellan Hagler would have been 50/50 slugfest. McClellan walked through Julian Jackson and stopped him twice, and also stopped Nigel Benn's ass (idgaf about official result), too. All slugfests up to the stoppages I mentioned.

Definitely had slugfests in mind for these guys.

I don't get the bit in bold. Benn won by stopping McClellan, it wasn't some dodgy decision.

Back