Movies Which is better: Avengers: Endgame vs X-Men: Days of Future Past

Interesting to see so many people complain about Endgame now, since when it was first released I was in here fighting against all you dirtbags as I pointed out it's multiple flaws and terriblenesses, and you were all lined up against me just like I was Thanos
Ole Pete never is wrong, it just takes society awhile to catch up with his genius sometimes
It more cleverly resolved the fatal decision Infinity War made that we all knew they didn't have the balls to stick to, and it handled the conclusion of Iron Man's arc as Marvel's greatest hero with aplomb. So I think people were just relieved we got that much out of it.

But it still blows my mind it was ever in the IMDb Top 250. Never should have been there. Not even the day of release. Grossly overrated even afforded the inflation of recency bias. And it's still hanging in at #80. Uggh.

Endgame is one of those movies that abuses time travel to do what comic writers love to do best, and that's take the coward's way out rendering everything they've written up to that point meaningless retcon.

Infinity War was astonishing. Endgame merely cheapened it.

If you thought there was any other way to end that storyline you were foolish. You really thought it was a possibility they were going to leave half the universe dead? The comics wouldn't even do that.

A few heroes permanently dead and a 5 year time gap was the best we could hope for. We knew going in they were obviously going to bring everyone back.

Interesting to see so many people complain about Endgame now, since when it was first released I was in here fighting against all you dirtbags as I pointed out it's multiple flaws and terriblenesses, and you were all lined up against me just like I was Thanos
Ole Pete never is wrong, it just takes society awhile to catch up with his genius sometimes

Same with The Force Awakens & Rogue One.

Walking out of the theater you're like 'That was great!' Then a week later you're thinking 'wait, was it really great?'

With Endgame there was so many emotional highs & lows between everyone still grieving at the beginning, to Tony meeting his dad in the past, the 'holy shit everyone's fighting in the finale' that lasted 25 minutes (or close to it), to Tony's death & funeral, to Captain's 'No, I don't think I will'..... that its flaws weren't apparent until later rewatches.

With DOTP I waited 2 years to rewatch it and during the finale I realize 'Wait... Wolverine hasn't done shit since he met with Xavier in the mansion.' And isn't the past events constantly putting the future events... out of flux? They're major flaws, but its practically its only flaws.

2 of the GOATs of marvel movies. Endgame is more epic due to the 20 movie buildup but DOFP is the better standalone movie imo.

Same with The Force Awakens & Rogue One.

Walking out of the theater you're like 'That was great!' Then a week later you're thinking 'wait, was it really great?'

With Endgame there was so many emotional highs & lows between everyone still grieving at the beginning, to Tony meeting his dad in the past, the 'holy shit everyone's fighting in the finale' that lasted 25 minutes (or close to it), to Tony's death & funeral, to Captain's 'No, I don't think I will'..... that its flaws weren't apparent until later rewatches.

With DOTP I waited 2 years to rewatch it and during the finale I realize 'Wait... Wolverine hasn't done shit since he met with Xavier in the mansion.' And isn't the past events constantly putting the future events... out of flux? They're major flaws, but its practically its only flaws.
To be honest though I feel both of them end up drawing pretty heavily on existing attachment to characters, DOTP is more self contained story wise but if he havent watched previous X-men films you'll be missing a lot of the drama/setting.

Force Awakens for me was always a crappy film which depended heavily on nostalgia and people wanting to like it. It was as much the film adaptation of a million anti prequel Youtube rants as it was a sequel to the originals and people who bought into that culture or had built their careers off of it needed it to be good.

There was never much substance to Force Awakens though, it totally fails to recreate the style of the originals and Rey is such a vapid reactive Mary Sue who might as well be a character on a SW theme park ride with Abrams depending on trying to hyjack drama from the originals, "Luke accepting the force was important so Rey doing the same must be as well".

I feel Rogue One was bashed by people like Chris Stuckman at the time because it basically disproved the kind of thinking they'd built their careers on, that blockbusters just had to follow a simple formula, it showed up how flawed Force Awakens really was and in turn how flawed they were as critics.

To be honest though I feel both of them end up drawing pretty heavily on existing attachment to characters, DOTP is more self contained story wise but if he havent watched previous X-men films you'll be missing a lot of the drama/setting.

Well, yeah... but its more of a positive than a negative. Bryan Singer bringing the old band back together with the new band was a major selling point beyond just fan-service.

And of course 6 films in (X-Men) or 21 films in (MCU) new viewers are going to feel a bit lost. But I'd say DOTP was understandable & enjoyable for the dozen people that hadn't seen an X-Men film before.

Force Awakens for me was always a crappy film which depended heavily on nostalgia and people wanting to like it. It was as much the film adaptation of a million anti prequel Youtube rants as it was a sequel to the originals and people who bought into that culture or had built their careers off of it needed it to be good.

There was never much substance to Force Awakens though, it totally fails to recreate the style of the originals and Rey is such a vapid reactive Mary Sue who might as well be a character on a SW theme park ride with Abrams depending on trying to hyjack drama from the originals, "Luke accepting the force was important so Rey doing the same must be as well".

No argument from me on any of that.
In retrospective, The Force Awakens is a deeply flawed film, but at the time there was genuine intrigue how Disney was going to improve from there.

Keep in mind Disney's MCU was firing on all cylinders at that point with great movies, so after a 'somewhat flawed' Ep7, the expectation was it was a 'safe' sequel/reboot. After all, Ep1 was also a rehash of Ep4 in many ways too.

I feel Rogue One was bashed by people like Chris Stuckman at the time because it basically disproved the kind of thinking they'd built their careers on, that blockbusters just had to follow a simple formula, it showed up how flawed Force Awakens really was and in turn how flawed they were as critics.

Oh god... you mentioned Chris Stuckmann... the most milktoast movie reviewer on YouTube.

If you listen to YouTube videos while doing mindless tasks... like I do... I highly recommend this.

Not sure what you meant by...
that blockbusters just had to follow a simple formula, it showed up how flawed Force Awakens really was and in turn how flawed they were as critics.
Because many of the decisions made in Rogue One were pretty ballsey.

Like everyone dying in the final battle? In a Star Wars movie? How'd Kathleen Kennedy approve that?

Don't get me wrong, there's ALOT to give Rogue One shit for, but 'formulaic' isn't one of them.

I give the critics a pass for Force Awakens & Rogue One, because I too had very positive opinions of them immediately after watching them.... and they had to film and release their video reviews for many too see. They don't have the luxury of Monday-Morning Quarterbacking 'Oh I hated that movie since I first saw it' to be cool. Many people saw the movies on their recommendations, and they liked them. What those viewers favorite critic later said "Wait, a week later I realized that movie I said was great? Well it actually sucked. Sorry." They'd get just as much cricticism for changing their mind on top of the criticism they'd get for their initial review.

Plenty of peeps said Endgame was overrated as fuck when it first came out.

I'm surprised that DOFP is getting so much love. As @moreorless87 said, I don't think it's particularly close.
I'm a long time comic geek and I primarily read the X-men. I'd grab the odd Avengers book on a whim, but I was a dedicated X-men collector for decades. The DOFP storyline was awesome and I don't think the movie came close.

Endgame was terrible. Marvel actually managed to create an interesting villain, with actual motives for his actions in Thanos.
Then after infinity wars they decided to rewrite him to be evil just because. He becomes just a standard evil villain who hates earth and wants to destroy it just because.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back