Movies Which is the best Daniel Day-Lewis film?

Which is the best Daniel Day-Lewis film?

• Total voters
If both are sober I will go with Magua but if both are drunk than I'll go with Plainview

Tend to agree but context matters here. In LOTM we saw that being bloodlusted because some mofo just played cornhole with your son's lifeless body can turn you into an even bigger badass. If Plainview had just drank Magua's wife's milkshake (because her milkshake was bringing all the boys to the yard), this probably ends like this:

1714508715252.png

But if Magua told Plainview to have a nice day and that his son is lucky to have him...

2bB.gif

He doesn't have a filmography that compares to any of the greats (even just good actors) when you think of it. Tom Hanks, Denzel, Mel Gibson, Leo, Edward Norton, Bale, Cruise, Crowe... pretty much every other half decent actor smokes him when it comes to the final product of their filmography.

His movies don't bring in box office draw, no cult classic status, no pop culture status, very very little rewatchability, almost no memorable quotes. The only thing he excels in is putting on a very talented performance. Which is great, but it's not the only thing that makes a great movie.

So I don't know, is he just a brilliant actor with terrible decision making abilities?? Does he simply not care about making badass movies?

Also, one thing about him that I think is a negative (while also being a true ability), is that the dude is a chameleon. But he's ALWAYS a chameleon. Meaning every single role, he changes his looks, his mannuerisms, his voice, he's always heavily costumed. It's to the point that I'm not sure I even know what the actual DDL looks like. It's almost as if he can't do a movie as his regular look, either because he doesn't like to, or even worse, producers don't actually like his regular look haha.

Of course there are other very successful chameleons, Gary Oldman comes to mind immediately, who I would actually compare DDL to when it comes to style and type of actor. But Gary Oldman can smash a role in costume, and just as himself. And his filmography is MILES ahead of DDL as far as awesome movies.

I don't know, I know I sound like a hater. But the dude just isn't up there on my list of great actors. I know his skill is next level, I get it. But isnt the whole point of becoming a great actor, to make great movies? Awesome movies, badass, funny, amazing, heartfelt, awe inspiring, rewatchable, highly entertaining, wholesome, inspirational... pick your adjective. He can be the "most brilliant actor of all time", but if his movies are all whatever at best, I'm always gonna favor a "lesser" actor who puts out awesome movies instead. Give me Bruce Willis over DDL any day.

I don't know his true motive of his madness or his motivation in what he does and why he does it. First of all he hardly does any movies, so it's almost inevitable he's not going to be in many epic great films.

Just curious, If he was in Pulp Fiction and The Lord of the Rings films, would you think of him differently?

Anywho, to each their own in what you actors you like or not. I don't think you're a hater at all, you just prefer other actors over him, which is fine.

But if you look at the IMDB top 25 films or even top 250. What films that he also could have been in really? The guy does a movie every 4-5 years or so in average. I don't think bad choices per se, I think more less he just doesn't do enough movies to really garner that filmography those actors have.

If you look at the actors you named, all of them have done way more movies than he DDL has done. So it's really unfair to compare if you don't many movies in the first place. But he still has 3 Oscars, in those few movies he's done. And the only actor to win 3 lead actor academy awards.

I guess it depends how you weigh someone career in who do you prefer, is it based on accolades or based it on the quality films they've done or the performances they've given us. But it's all subjective, I'm not here to change your mind. It is what it is with DDL.

FUN FACT: In the history of Sherdog, 30 threads have been made with "Daniel Day-Lewis" in the title. 20 of them have been made by @Takes_Two_To_Tango

Seek help! <lol>

I know I'm obsessed with the guy, he's my all-time favorite for sure. Plus I'm addicted thread/poll starter so it's not a surprise I'll be the one leading the charge when comes to this particular actor or even any other topics out there. : - )

I know I'm obsessed with the guy, he's my all-time favorite for sure. Plus I'm addicted thread/poll starter so it's not a surprise I'll be the one leading the charge when comes to this particular actor or even any other topics out there. : - )
Do you track your poll data somewhere? For any reason? Other than OCD? ;)

Do you track your poll data somewhere? For any reason? Other than OCD? ;)

lol I wish I had a rational or great reason for my OCD. It's madness in a way I guess. But I'll be honest I just get a fix off it. I know it's a very strange behaviour, but I've always since I was a child love showing people things I like or love. Like show and tell kind of thing. As for the polls like I said it's a weird high I guess. I just like seeing what people think of certain topics I find interesting. Just checking what the numbers will look like.

It's fucked up. lol

(I truly wish I was doing this for money or something beneficial besides my own selfish pleasure)

lol I wish I had a rational or great reason for my OCD. It's madness in a way I guess. But I'll be honest I just get a fix off it. I know it's a very strange behaviour, but I've always since I was a child love showing people things I like or love. Like show and tell kind of thing. As for the polls like I said it's a weird high I guess. I just like seeing what people think of certain topics I find interesting. Just checking what the numbers will look like.

It's fucked up. lol

(I truly wish I was doing this for money or something beneficial besides my own selfish pleasure)
We all got our thing my brother. Takes all kinds as they say. And you add a regular interactive factor to the site which is cool.

And for the record, the final 10 minutes of Last of the Mohicans is in contention for GOAT movie final ever imo. Acting wise maybe not his best movie, but overall package it's hard to top LOTM.

And for the record, the final 10 minutes of Last of the Mohicans is in contention for GOAT movie final ever imo. Acting wise maybe not his best movie, but overall package it's hard to top LOTM.

Oh yeah. I voted TWBB but the ending of LOTM is my favorite movie ending ever. Badass GOAT shit only.

The votes are pretty close, between The Last of the Mohicans and There Will Be Blood. Two completely different type of films.

I haven't watched Bounty or My Beautiful Laundrette, so I can't vote in the poll. Can't say I'm too keen to get right on that, either.

I saw Last of the Mohicans when I was a teenager and found it to be boring. I should rewatch it this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonSable
Back