Social Which restaurant cooks the best steak?

I grill my own steaks quite often. Get yourself good cuts of beef and you can do it at home for a fraction of the cost.

I'm not against going to a steakhouse because a place that specializes in steak is going to be able to cook it at temperatures I can't replicate at home.

As steak is something I cook myself I rarely get it at a restaurant. Can only think of 2 that I've had in the past 10 years, both 40 day dry aged.

I switched to Fillet as it is the healthiest cut. I am trying to save myself a little fat but its still delicious. I love skirt but I usually only get that at Mexican or Central American spots. They do it grand.

Fat from beef is healthy

Cook my own for the wifey.
She loves Ruth Chris’s
I’ll take a Brazilian steakhouses
Black Angus/Sizzler/Outback back in the day

Place near San Luis Obispo (Nipomo precisely) called Jocko's, is really, really good

The best steak i ever had was made by my father in law. Nothing but salt and pepper. I cant grill for shit, working on it though

best one from a restaurant was from the local chop and grille house, completely unexpected. Every time i look for a great steak i am let down.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

I've eaten at places that were just as good but never had one that was better.

I grill my own steaks quite often. Get yourself good cuts of beef and you can do it at home for a fraction of the cost.

I'm not against going to a steakhouse because a place that specializes in steak is going to be able to cook it at temperatures I can't replicate at home.
What do you mean you can't replicate heat at home?

What do you mean you can't replicate heat at home?

Those places, like Ruth Chris for example, are using overhead infrared broilers to cook their steaks. That's in the range of 1500°-1800°.

As steak is something I cook myself I rarely get it at a restaurant. Can only think of 2 that I've had in the past 10 years, both 40 day dry aged.
yep for me that's the main advantage of getting steak from the restaurant; they can do the aging process so well.

and it's not a steak place, but if you're ever in San Francisco get dinner at the House of Prime Rib. and old school place that of course has great prime rib, but nice courses leading up the the meat like a yorkshire pudding. and when you order a cocktail, you also get what's in the shaker so it's like two drinks

It could be a mainstream restaurant or could be something local from your city.

I'd say for me The Keg, considering it was the most recent. It was perfectly cooked medium rare.

Medium-Rare-Steak.jpg

Honestly, I don’t find that steakhouses can do much better than a pan seared ribeye at home with lots of salt and Montreal seasoning. In fact, they often muck things up by trying to do too much rather than deferring to the flavor of the meat itself.

Depends on age, and health history, genetics etc. I do see benefits of healthy fats from things like Avocado, Omega 3's , Nuts, Olive Oil, Fish...

Not really... all that old "science" has been thoroughly debunked, thank god. Animal fat is magical stuff... responsible for the explosion in human brain size. Good to know you're health conscious though. I enjoy you posts.

Excited for the Alien series stuff ?

Back