Which sport do you think requires the most intelligence to succeed att he highest levels?

Maybe cricket? the field placings end up being tactically very complex and the captain is making them a lot of the time rather than a coach.

For how dumb most Americans are, surprisingly, it's American football. Especially at the quarter back, offensive line and middle linebacker roles.

The more I learn about it the less I know. The vast majority of fans barely realise what's going on.

I've been playing for nearly 15 years, watch it every year and I don't know most of the rules still. It's needlessly complex, but out of complexity arises brutal beautiful simplicity.

Last edited:
you could Arguedas the other way
football is like hockey but they atentado dumb enough todo play it On Ice

is settler of catan a sport? its like chess forma smart people

That's like a cool game, never played it though.

you could Arguedas the other way
football is like hockey but they atentado dumb enough todo play it On Ice

is settler of catan a sport? its like chess forma smart people
I think Intelligent come in many ways. With the skate it take higher skill and using skate to play sport takes intelligible. So me choose Hickey.

Hockey. It's like football but they're on ice.
As a life long hockey fan, I disagree. Athletic skill is needed way more than "smarts" since it is way more free flowing than the majority of other sports.

Football QB to me is the correct answer. Having to read the defense, identify the "correct" play, and then executing it, all within about 3 seconds takes high level thinking skills.

Reactions: 666
It will likely be an individual sport with minimal coaching. You're alone out there, everything falls on your shoulders, and you have to constantly make adjustments. They definitely aren't afforded the luxury of having a speaker in their helmet.

For instance, it's not surprising that many tennis players are extremely intelligent both on and off the court.

Hockey. It's like football but they're on ice.

Its really structually more similar to soccer. With the goalie, fowards etc. The whole rotation thing is kinda unique too. Only team sport without "starters" per say. Everyone is just....on the team.

As a life long hockey fan, I disagree. Athletic skill is needed way more than "smarts" since it is way more free flowing than the majority of other sports.

Football QB to me is the correct answer. Having to read the defense, identify the "correct" play, and then executing it, all within about 3 seconds takes high level thinking skills.
Did you forget about Gretzky?

Its really structually more similar to soccer. With the goalie, fowards etc. The whole rotation thing is kinda unique too. Only team sport without "starters" per say. Everyone is just....on the team.
No they have staring lines. There's special talent that they always put on the ice first and get the most ice time. Like connor McDavids line.

I can see what you mean though. Players switch out when fatigued or hurt and the 'line' gets scrambled but after the play is reset they try too keep the same guys together.

Did you forget about Gretzky?
Gretzky thought "the game" better than anyone, but off ice he really isn't that bright. See his coaching career and try listening to him on commentary.

Gretzky thought "the game" better than anyone, but off ice he really isn't that bright. See his coaching career and try listening to him on commentary.
I thought we were only talking about in game intelligence. Pretty sure Tom Brady would be pretty much the same.

I thought we were only talking about in game intelligence. Pretty sure Tom Brady would be pretty much the same.
But we aren't just trying to single out just 1 person. That would be pretty much impossible.

You don't have to be very smart to play hockey and succeed. Just super talented.

But we aren't just trying to single out just 1 person. That would be pretty much impossible.

You don't have to be very smart to play hockey and succeed. Just super talented.
Yea but I believe intelligence comes in different forms. Some people have more physical, hand eye coordination and reflexes end up playing a professional sport. Your 5'5" Chinese doctor wearing bifocals probably is smarter on the outside but I don't think we'll see him throwing a football around anytime soon.

That being said we can agree to disagree.

Probably a toss up tbh.

Last edited:
I mean...TBH I'm not exactly sure why this ain't the winning answer, but if we really talking about physical achievements, such as hand/eye coordination...;

It ain't particularly close really

No they have staring lines. There's special talent that they always put on the ice first and get the most ice time. Like connor McDavids line.

I can see what you mean though. Players switch out when fatigued or hurt and the 'line' gets scrambled but after the play is reset they try too keep the same guys together.

I could never find starting lineups for college hockey. If you look at a stat page its just everyones stats. Not that everyones equal theres just no formal position for that. I don't follow NHL though maybe they have starters there I don't know.

My pick would be Football, particularly the QB position. These guys know like 100 plays with 4-5 variations on each play. It's crazy the amount of information they have to process, not to mention actually running the plays and reacting to the changing landscape of defense and offensive disruptions. These guys truly are playing high speed chess every play.

View attachment 1022858

Chess

Back